Lawrence Cager Interview

He seems like a good guy, with his head on straight.

I've been impressed with his Georgia performances - I hope he can stay healthy and land a spot on the team.

We are lacking a big possession WR, so hopefully Cager can be the guy.

• Upvote 2

I'd really like for him or Campbell to make the team, don't really care which one as I don't have a horse in the race. I just like the idea of a big possession/red zone target for Darnold. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/5/2020 at 5:07 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Cager should of been drafted and we got him free of charge. Always remember.

A guy like Cager could be a bit of evidence that we didn't like the price point for the WRs in the rest of the draft class after taking Mims.  Why use a pick on a mid-round guy when we can get some mid-round quality in the UDFA pool?

• Upvote 3

On 5/5/2020 at 8:04 AM, slats said:

I'd really like for him or Campbell to make the team, don't really care which one as I don't have a horse in the race. I just like the idea of a big possession/red zone target for Darnold. 

we're expecting whomever makes it to contribute on specials too, right? Bellamy out UDFA in?

• Upvote 1

Curious to see what kind of role they want Cager to play. I kind of prefer him as a big slot versus playing him as an outside guy. I think there's a niche for the outside guys he doesn't fit but that big slot role is one a lot of teams have excelled using and it fits nicely with Darnold.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:07 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Cager should of been drafted and we got him free of charge. Always remember.

This pandemic was the only reason he wasn't drafted, he couldn't work out and teams has no access to his medicals. We caught a break with Cager.

He's too talented to not make the team. As long as he stays healthy, he should make the roster and be productive as well

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Any of our undrafted WR's signed to camp actually have a chance to stick?  Or is this just focusing on long shots because there isn't any other news breaking right now.

He's competing with V.Smith, J.Smith, Berrios, Chesson, Hatcher, Malone and Campbell. And thats assuming the Jets carry only 5 WRs and Doctson's spot is already solidified (which it's not but he probably has the edge). So yeah, Cager has a real shot to make the roster unless the Jets trade for or sign a veteran receiver.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He's competing with V.Smith, J.Smith, Berrios, Chesson, Hatcher, Malone and Campbell. And thats assuming the Jets carry only 5 WRs and Doctson's spot is already solidified (which it's not but he probably has the edge). So yeah, Cager has a real shot to make the roster unless the Jets trade for or sign a veteran receiver.  

Yep.  And a UDFA always has a leg up on the competition among guys who were not drafted/signed for big money.  If you're a UDFA, you're a priority.  The Jets probably had as high as 4th round grades on Cager and Campbell.  Not to mention they're cheaply under contract for the next 3 years.

Very good chance both Cager and Campbell make the team. 

6 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Any of our undrafted WR's signed to camp actually have a chance to stick?  Or is this just focusing on long shots because there isn't any other news breaking right now.

Well it's tough to say. Both Campbell and Cager are very interesting prospects. 6'4" and 6'5" respectively and that alone has value. 

I would like Cager more, but he has had a real problem staying healthy I've learned.  Even 2019 saw another surgery at the end of the season. Ankle I believe.  he does have a TD every 5.6 receptions though and that's pretty insane. 

With the bottom of the WR group needing to play ST's I really struggle to see him make it. ST's are not the type of thing you want an injury prone guy doing if you can avoid it. He's had knee, wrist and ankle issues. Maybe we keep 6 WR's but even then. 

Cager has the type of size that doesn't come around every day and he's pretty fast too. But I see that ST's piece being a problem. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well it's tough to say. Both Campbell and Cager are very interesting prospects. 6'4" and 6'5" respectively and that alone has value. 

I would like Cager more, but he has had a real problem staying healthy I've learned.  Even 2019 saw another surgery at the end of the season. Ankle I believe.  he does have a TD every 5.6 receptions though and that's pretty insane. 

With the bottom of the WR group needing to play ST's I really struggle to see him make it. ST's are not the type of thing you want an injury prone guy doing if you can avoid it. He's had knee, wrist and ankle issues. Maybe we keep 6 WR's but even then. 

Cager has the type of size that doesn't come around every day and he's pretty fast too. But I see that ST's piece being a problem. 

Thanks.  Good honest write up. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

A guy like Cager could be a bit of evidence that we didn't like the price point for the WRs in the rest of the draft class after taking Mims.  Why use a pick on a mid-round guy when we can get some mid-round quality in the UDFA pool?

I really think that you hit the nail on the head with your comment.  Everyone just assumes that the GM and his people make mistakes on not picking a second and third wide receiver, why did they do this, why didn't they do that?

I am now more confident that our current GM and his team of scouts has a plan, and they are following that plan.  

The future is bright for the NY Jets.  Leadership has arrived.  We just need to have some faith, and give these people the benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 1