2010 revised

It was Mark Sanchez sophomore year in the NFL and the last year the New York Jets would make it to the AFC championship game . It was a team that featured Mangold and Ferguson and Keller and Tomlinson in an offense guided by Brian (baby) Shotty.

Rex Ryan was the HC and his defense and exotic blitz schemes got all the credit . The thing that always bugs me is this . I don’t think the Jets have made the playoffs since that year and since that year to this last draft the best offensive player the team has drafted is Sam Darnold.

Not a single OC hired by this team in 9 years has been given a chance to succeed while getting the blame for everything that’s been wrong .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It was Mark Sanchez sophomore year in the NFL and the last year the New York Jets would make it to the AFC championship game . It was a team that featured Mangold and Ferguson and Keller and Tomlinson in an offense guided by Brian (baby) Shotty.

Rex Ryan was the HC and his defense and exotic blitz schemes got all the credit . The thing that always bugs me is this . I don’t think the Jets have made the playoffs since that year and since that year to this last draft the best offensive player the team has drafted is Sam Darnold.

Not a single OC hired by this team in 9 years has been given a chance to succeed while getting the blame for everything that’s been wrong .

Then Rex decided to play Sanchez with 3rd stringers in a preseason game. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

And there were calls to fire offensive staff this year too.  It's kind of our thing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

And there were calls to fire offensive staff this year too.  It's kind of our thing. 

A million and 1 defensive HCs followed by a million and 1 defensive draft picks but the offensive staff is the problem.

During that stretch of horrible years of football the Jets actually had some pretty good offensive games and some truly disturbing defensive showings despite all those draft picks being spent on defense.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

A million and 1 defensive HCs followed by a million and 1 defensive draft picks but the offensive staff is the problem.

During that stretch of horrible years of football the Jets actually had some pretty good offensive games and some truly disturbing defensive showings despite all those draft picks being spent on defense.

Its been very consistent over the years. Even Bowels had 3 OC's in 4 years. Rex had 3 during his time here as well.  

So... ya got me interested. What's the reasoning for all of this?  All the defensive HC's? 

6 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

As stupid as it was Sanchez was done anyway. Would have been booed out of the stadium with his first bad game and Geno on deck, which knowing him wouldn't have taken long. The real crime was signing Tebow the previous season after giving Sanchez a new contract. Two bewildering moves on their own, unf*ckingforgivable when you put them together. 

6 hours ago, TNJet said:

And with Darnold on those 09-2010 teams, we win the Super bowl twice.

Very doubtful. Manning absolutely shredded us in 09. Exposed the lack of depth at corner and after they scored once they looked like they could score at any time. 

Also Sanchez's performance in New England in 2010 is better than any Darnold performance to date. And miles better than any Darnold performance vs New England. 

Sanchez was bizarrely competent in the post season. Even his bad games weren't too bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Its been very consistent over the years. Even Bowels had 3 OC's in 4 years. Rex had 3 during his time here as well.  
So... ya got me interested. What's the reasoning for all of this?  All the defensive HC's? 

I was just rewatching the 2010 season and I was actually amazed at how well the offense looked when the jets had a pretty decent offensive line a TE that was a matchup problem and some halfway decent receivers . Mark Sanchez looked like a rising star throwing midrange passes with the occasional shot .
Makes one hope that with the CB new offensive linemen and these new speedster at receiver things might finally turn around .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I was just rewatching the 2010 season and I was actually amazed at how well the offense looked when the jets had a pretty decent offensive line a TE that was a matchup problem and some halfway decent receivers . Mark Sanchez looked like a rising star throwing midrange passes with the occasional shot .
Makes one hope that with the CB new offensive linemen and these new speedster at receiver things might finally turn around .

Oh the hope of the early Rex years.  If they would have followed that with retaining more/most of the guys from the 2010 team, we would have continued our success and might just have built upon it. But nope. Tore it down in the 2011 offseason.

I still don't know what happened to Braylon Edwards. That was the last year of his career that meant anything. We let him go, no one wanted him in FA and he signed with the niners for $1 mil.  Then he was gone. He was dominant in the Pats playoff game. If you can find any details on that one please let me know. 

25 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Oh the hope of the early Rex years.  If they would have followed that with retaining more/most of the guys from the 2010 team, we would have continued our success and might just have built upon it. But nope. Tore it down in the 2011 offseason.

I still don't know what happened to Braylon Edwards. That was the last year of his career that meant anything. We let him go, no one wanted him in FA and he signed with the niners for $1 mil.  Then he was gone. He was dominant in the Pats playoff game. If you can find any details on that one please let me know. 

Losing braylon, and then keller, really hurt Sanchez's development. Those were his 2 favorite targets. And making santonio holmes captain, on a big contract...not the wisest decision.

Let's not forget schotty's play-calling. Bart scott and braylon think schotty was auditioning for a head coaching job:

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

The 2009-2010 teams were a bit of a house of cards. It was comprised of vets who were at the end of their careers and there wasn’t a lot of young talent to backfill them. 

There was still some runway in 2011, but Mike T screwed up things in the off-season by re-signing Holmes to big $ and letting Edwards and Cotchery walk.  Holmes was another guy on the ever-growing list of Jet players who mailed it in once he got paid. Also replacing Edwards and Cotchery with Burress (returning from jail) and 40 year old Derrick Mason was a bad idea. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

That was the fault of idzik which is where this mess really started.  Idzik wanted to fire Rex after 2013, rec knew his best chance to win was with Mark but he was being pressured by the GM to start Geno and the GM had all the power(this was the neutered Rex phase).  Mark outplayed Geno that preseason but he wanted him to further separate and it cost us our season.

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It shows how foolish fans can be, schottenheimer was much better than he was given credit for.  He was constantly trying to coach a new QB until Sanchez and Sanchez's career turned after Brian left.

7 hours ago, TNJet said:

Hahahahahaha.  I love Sam but we didn't lose either Championship Game because of the QB.  The real what if is if we had Sanchez in 2008 we win the SB but he came along a year later.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

We didn't know how good we had it with Brian.

15 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

The 2009-2010 teams were a bit of a house of cards. It was comprised of vets who were at the end of their careers and there wasn’t a lot of young talent to backfill them. 

There was still some runway in 2011, but Mike T screwed up things in the off-season by re-signing Holmes to big $ and letting Edwards and Cotchery walk.  Holmes was another guy on the ever-growing list of Jet players who mailed it in once he got paid. Also replacing Edwards and Cotchery with Burress (returning from jail) and 40 year old Derrick Mason was a bad idea. 

The lockout killed us with the rules hindering teams that advanced deep in the playoffs.

We did have a lot of vets, they spent and had a 4 year window from 08-11.  Favre ruined 08, we came close in 09 & 10 then the lockout killed us in 11.

Cotch asked to be released, we didn't want to.  I think he was tired of them bringing innWRs to start over him.

I wanted braylon back but he was never healthy again.

Holmes changed after the big contract, I can't blame the Jets for that.

Bringing in jerks like plax and Derrick Mason I can blame the Jets.

Tannenbaum knew they'd have to bite the bullet in 12 and maybe 13 as they retooled and created cap space again but they fired him after 12 and hired idzik which started the mess we were in until Douglas got here.  I'm fully confident in Joe to turn this thing around.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, 82nd Airborne said:

That was in 2013 after two poor seasons by Sanchez. That move also illustrated the dysfunction in the Ryan/Idzik relationship.

• Upvote 2

Losing braylon, and then keller, really hurt Sanchez's development. Those were his 2 favorite targets. And making santonio holmes captain, on a big contract...not the wisest decision.
Let's not forget schotty's play-calling. Bart scott and braylon think schotty was auditioning for a head coaching job:
[/url]  

Rex’s guys blaming schotty . The said part is it was the same Schotty who pulled Holmes from the game after his flare up and all but ended his time with the Jets.
The fact of the matter is Rex was the HG but acted more like the defense coordinator .

55 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Hahahahahaha.  I love Sam but we didn't lose either Championship Game because of the QB.  The real what if is if we had Sanchez in 2008 we win the SB but he came along a year later.

You said a bunch of crazy sh*t, but this might be the craziest.   With Mangini at coach?  That's a good one.  We both are unimpressed with what Favre brought to the team, but the D was middling until Rex came along and brought in Scott and Leonhard.  The idea that Sanchez, who largely sucked, was going to take that team over the hump is laughable. 

Maybe you could argue that if Sanchez had gotten a year under his belt and been a sophomore in 2009, they could have won.  That D was truly special, but the injuries to the corners in Indy killed them and even an improved Mark probably wasn't overcoming that.

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You said a bunch of crazy sh*t, but this might be the craziest.   With Mangini at coach?  That's a good one.  We both are unimpressed with what Favre brought to the team, but the D was middling until Rex came along and brought in Scott and Leonhard.  The idea that Sanchez, who largely sucked, was going to take that team over the hump is laughable. 

Maybe you could argue that if Sanchez had gotten a year under his belt and been a sophomore in 2009, they could have won.  That D was truly special, but the injuries to the corners in Indy killed them and even an improved Mark probably wasn't overcoming that.

The league in 2008 was way down especially with Brady out.  9-7 Arizona hosted the NFC championship game, we were 9-7 with a QB that didn't want to be here.

Sanchez as a Jet was better than favre as a Jet was really the point. Maybe it would have been better if I said if we kept Chad because if we did that we easily win the division.

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The league in 2008 was way down especially with Brady out.  9-7 Arizona hosted the NFC championship game, we were 9-7 with a QB that didn't want to be here.

Sanchez as a Jet was better than favre as a Jet was really the point. Maybe it would have been better if I said if we kept Chad because if we did that we easily win the division.

I get what you're trying to say, but Mangini wasn't winning sh*t.

9 hours ago, Tinstar said:

You forget who was really blamed for us not advancing to those games. It was not Sanchez .

Right, but Schotty wasn't to blame. Sanchez didn't complete a pass in the first half against the Steelers afccg. He missed tons of wide open throws. Kid was a head case that couldn't move on in games. Pouted about each bad play. I know Sanchez was the weak link. I watched every snap, every game.

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

As stupid as it was Sanchez was done anyway. Would have been booed out of the stadium with his first bad game and Geno on deck, which knowing him wouldn't have taken long. The real crime was signing Tebow the previous season after giving Sanchez a new contract. Two bewildering moves on their own, unf*ckingforgivable when you put them together. 

Very doubtful. Manning absolutely shredded us in 09. Exposed the lack of depth at corner and after they scored once they looked like they could score at any time. 

Also Sanchez's performance in New England in 2010 is better than any Darnold performance to date. And miles better than any Darnold performance vs New England. 

Sanchez was bizarrely competent in the post season. Even his bad games weren't too bad.

I remember it more like the score that put us away in 09 just went over Dwight Lowery's index finger by a cunhair. It was that close. We had our chances. We got the Colts the next year anyway, it was the Steelers game after that where Sanchez blew it.

Not a Sanchez lover, but he was not the reason we didn't win in 09 or 10. When he had the supporting cast he was more then adequate. We didn't lose to Pittsburgh because Sanchez was horrible. He almost had us back in that game in the second half.

9 hours ago, TNJet said:

Sorry, I love Sam Darnold as much as anyone but Mark Sanchez was absolutely money in the postseason and we haven't seen Sam in those types of big spots yet.

The reason we had great regular seasons in 2009/10 was our defense.  The reason we had great postseasons in 2009/10 was our quarterback.  The reason we lost both AFC Championship Games was our defense.  Mark Sanchez was the best Jet on the field in those two Championship Games.

SAR I

42 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I remember it more like the score that put us away in 09 just went over Dwight Lowery's index finger by a cunhair. It was that close. We had our chances. We got the Colts the next year anyway, it was the Steelers game after that where Sanchez blew it.

Mark played well that game, the D got run over in the first half then when mark and the O got it to a one score game with 3 minutes and 3 TOs left they couldn't stop them.  I was in that stadium, the fans were deathly afraid if us getting the ball back. They knew what was going to happen, unfortunately we never got that chance.

• Upvote 1

In 09. You kind of tip your cap to Peyton in that 2 Nd half. Precision surgical throws that were made. And had to be made... the Jets secondary were just beat on key hole throws. Well that’s how I remember it... the next year. We dug to deep a hole. And just couldn’t stop a 3 rd & 6. Ballgame over. Fast forward a Decade.... and he we are

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Mark played well that game, the D got run over in the first half then when mark and the O got it to a one score game with 3 minutes and 3 TOs left they couldn't stop them.  I was in that stadium, the fans were deathly afraid if us getting the ball back. They knew what was going to happen, unfortunately we never got that chance.

It's crazy how they re-write history, isn't it?  The Rex Ryan super duper defense couldn't stop the run and the Steelers were up 17-0 before you got through half of your first beer.

The big play in that game was D'Brickashaw Ferguson getting beaten like a turnstile by Ike Taylor for a blindside strip sack TD.  They were the last points the Steelers offense scored and they were the difference and cost us our Super Bowl.

But they love love love D'Bust and they hate hate hate Mark.  Lemmings.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

Just now, SAR I said:

It's crazy how they re-write history, isn't it?

The big play in that game was D'Brickashaw Ferguson getting beaten like a turnstile by Ike Taylor for a blindside strip sack TD.  They were the last points the Steelers offense scored and they were the difference and cost us our Super Bowl.

But they love love love D'Bust and they hate hate hate Mark.  Lemmings.

SAR I

I don't even think that play turned out to be that big as crazy as it sounds.  It was 3rd and 17 deep in our territory, we weren't getting a first down.  If he doesn't get blindsided and it's still 17-0 Pitt gets the ball near midfield and they are going to at least kick a FG to make it 20-0.  After the fumble it was 24-0 but he quickly led us down for a FG to make it 24-3.  Being down 20 or 21 wasn't a big difference.

We lost mainly because the D was run over, they allowed Pitt to dominate TOP in the first half and score then work 3 minutes and 3 TOs they needed to hold Pitt to 1 or fewer 1st downs and couldn't do it.

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Yep. The perfect storm of BS to destroy the whole thing. At the core was a couple of massive Egos that thought they could make rib eye from any turd in the yard.  IT didn't work sadly. Having Rex won a bowl here would have been the best possible scenario. He loved the Jets and it was all looking so perfect. Then there was 2011. :(  

5 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

Don't forget Brad Smith. He was an other important piece to the whole thing. Great character too. Letting all of those guys, including Ellis who had 3 sacks in that Pats playoff game, was a travesty.    

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It shows how foolish fans can be, schottenheimer was much better than he was given credit for.  He was constantly trying to coach a new QB until Sanchez and Sanchez's career turned after Brian left.

Right. I still think Schotty was raw overall at the time and made some truly boneheaded decisions, but right. He was better than we thought during that span. We hired Sporano to replace him which Was worse by far. That Steelers game was atrocious in the big moments and I am firmly behind the idea that our comeback Was halted by Schott. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sorry, I love Sam Darnold as much as anyone but Mark Sanchez was absolutely money in the postseason and we haven't seen Sam in those types of big spots yet.

The reason we had great regular seasons in 2009/10 was our defense.  The reason we had great postseasons in 2009/10 was our quarterback.  The reason we lost both AFC Championship Games was our defense.  Mark Sanchez was the best Jet on the field in those two Championship Games.

SAR I

No not really. I don't recall him hitting one pass in the first half of the Steeler game. To his credit he did bring us back in the 2nd half only to lose by 5.

2 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

In 09. You kind of tip your cap to Peyton in that 2 Nd half. Precision surgical throws that were made. And had to be made... the Jets secondary were just beat on key hole throws. Well that’s how I remember it... the next year. We dug to deep a hole. And just couldn’t stop a 3 rd & 6. Ballgame over. Fast forward a Decade.... and he we are

Everyone has their own versions, and all true.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. I still think Schotty was raw overall at the time and made some truly boneheaded decisions, but right. He was better than we thought during that span. We hired Sporano to replace him which Was worse by far. That Steelers game was atrocious in the big moments and I am firmly behind the idea that our comeback Was halted by Schott. 

I remember Sanchez over throwing wide open Holmes and Keller's seversl times in the first half. Could've been big gains to atleast accumulate FGs. No one else remembers these failed pass opportunities?? I sure do. And they came back to haunt us losing by only 5. I remember telling people if we'd have made 2 plays on offense in the first half we'd made the super bowl.

• Upvote 1