Falcons blocked Jets-Broncos third-round deal by drafting Matt Hennessey

The Denver Broncos were set to make a deal with the New York Jets to move up to the 79th slot in the NFL draft, but the deal was nixed when the Falcons selected Temple center Matt Hennessy with the 78th pick, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. 

In the third round, the Jets were going to drop from 79th to 83rd so the Broncos could take Hennessy, whose brother, Thomas, is the Jets’ long snapper. 

The Broncos selected LSU center Lloyd Cushenberry with the 83rd pick. The Jets took former Florida and Sprayberry High standout Jabari Zuniga. 

The Jets were going to pick up a late fifth-round pick in the deal.

By D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Manish kept saying, up until this report came out, that the Jets wanted Hennessy and would’ve taken him at 79. He’s not connected in the organization at all. 

Amazing. Manish is just always wrong.

Still don't know why I follow him on Twitter.

If Gase is successful this year, it's gonna really hurt him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Manish kept saying, up until this report came out, that the Jets wanted Hennessy and would’ve taken him at 79. He’s not connected in the organization at all. 

Where did he say that?

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It appears that JD felt the talent in the later rounds was pretty even and he would find similar value with in 10 picks of his spots. 

Too add on it seems that he also realizes how many holes and depth the teams needed to fill. Would JD still have been pulled the trigger later on with the Pats had he already made this trade?

we'll see if jabari turns out to be a decent player.  douglas seems to like getting draft picks and then drafting guys the team needs.  it doesn't sound like he thinks any pick is a throwaway.  as for hennesy or cushenberry, etc. the jets had enough interior olinemen going in and needed fill out the outside.  obviously becton fills one void.  chambers seems like he might be able to back up a tackle spot or even compete for guard.

• Upvote 1

Jets probably felt they could trade down, still get Zuniga, and add a 5th round pick.

Pity it didn't work out - that extra 5th rounder could have been another nice WR prospect like by guy Darnell Mooney or Isaiah Hodgins.

1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I found this to be very interesting. I thought the Jets would have jumped all over Hennessy if he lasted to their pick, but apparently if he was on the board, they were ready to move down. That says a lot about what they think of McGovern holding down the center spot. 

I didn't think the Jets would do much, if anything, on the interior OL after everything they did there in free agency. 

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The Denver Broncos were set to make a deal with the New York Jets to move up to the 79th slot in the NFL draft, but the deal was nixed when the Falcons selected Temple center Matt Hennessy with the 78th pick, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. 

In the third round, the Jets were going to drop from 79th to 83rd so the Broncos could take Hennessy, whose brother, Thomas, is the Jets’ long snapper. 

The Broncos selected LSU center Lloyd Cushenberry with the 83rd pick. The Jets took former Florida and Sprayberry High standout Jabari Zuniga. 

The Jets were going to pick up a late fifth-round pick in the deal.

By D. Orlando Ledbetter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

This is impossible. I was assured by @JTJet that the Jets were going to take Hennessey at 79 and settled after the Falcons stole their guy

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Too add on it seems that he also realizes how many holes and depth the teams needed to fill. Would JD still have been pulled the trigger later on with the Pats had he already made this trade?

Probably not. Imo if you have 2 picks in a particulr round, that is enough  to drop the BAP strat and go for need. If JD was trying to fill holes, he would have a accomplished that. 

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Podcast. Play like a Jet... specifically he says the Jets were really high on Hennessy.

Eh.  They can be high on a ton of guys.  Can’t draft em all.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I found this to be very interesting. I thought the Jets would have jumped all over Hennessy if he lasted to their pick, but apparently if he was on the board, they were ready to move down. That says a lot about what they think of McGovern holding down the center spot. 

McGivetn was signed to start. That kid from the Colts was signed as depth. Taking a swing at pass rush rather than backup center was a good call.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

This is impossible. I was assured by @JTJet that the Jets were going to take Hennessey at 79 and settled after the Falcons stole their guy

This only further proves my point you understand that right? 

My entire point was that players they were targeting kept getting taken before them, regardless if it was Hennessey or a player or two before him, take your pick. Thus triggering the desire to trade back. 

You cant make me believe that JDs draft plan was to continously drop back and accumulate 5th rounders or later, where your chances of striking drop dramatically. 

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

That deal would have included the 156 pick. Two spots ahead of were we selected Hall. Notable names still on the board during the time.

Nick Harris, C

Tyler Johnson, WR

Curtis Weaver, DE

Collin Johnson, WR

Quintez Cephus, WR

Bradlee Anae, DE

I read it would have included 179 not 156 (which Denver had already sent to San Francisco who dealt it to Washington).   If the extra pick was 179 then we could have added any of these before the punter pick in round 6.

Justin Strnad
Bradlee Anae
Hakeem Adeniji
Netane Muti
Michael Onwenu
Cameron Brown
Bravvion Roy
Blake Ferguson
Alohi Gilman
Donovan Peoples-Jones
Tyler Bass
Jake Luton
Charlie Woerner
Braden Mann

47 minutes ago, JTJet said:

My entire point was that players they were targeting kept getting taken before them, regardless if it was Hennessey or a player or two before him, take your pick. Thus triggering the desire to trade back. 

You cant make me believe that JDs draft plan was to continously drop back and accumulate 5th rounders or later, where your chances of striking drop dramatically. 

They weren't targetting Hennessey.  They wanted to add picks and let someone else have Hennessey.  It is 100% contradictory evidence to your fantasy of what happened.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You're misunderstanding the report. The Jets cared so little about Hennessy that if he was available they would've preferred to trade out and accumulate a 5th rounder. 

• Upvote 3

Dealer Douglas. I like his style. He understands that middle rounds are crapshoots and additional picks not only gives you more chances to hit on a lottery ticket, but also allows you the luxury of drafting someone like Morgan. Let's hope that he doesn't get too cute like he did with Mims and expect the same results. 

11 hours ago, slats said:

I didn't think the Jets would do much, if anything, on the interior OL after everything they did there in free agency. 

JD has created competition across all position groups. CB, IOL, Rt/LT, OLB, CB, S and RB.

Look forward to the Clark, Edoga, Becton, Fant competition. We could be set at the Tackle position for the next 3-4 years.

CB competition between the Indiana 4 and Bless, Javelin, Jackson and Hall will be fun to watch.

OLB with Huff, Zuniga, Luuvu, Basham and Jenkins

WR with Mims, Doctson, Berrios, Enunwa, Smith and Bellamy. Crowder & Perriman only ones guaranteed a position.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

They weren't targetting Hennessey.  They wanted to add picks and let someone else have Hennessey.  It is 100% contradictory evidence to your fantasy of what happened.

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

You're misunderstanding the report. The Jets cared so little about Hennessy that if he was available they would've preferred to trade out and accumulate a 5th rounder. 

I'm totally understanding the report. 

My point in another thread was that players the Jets were targeting were getting snaked before them, thus triggering the desire to move back. 

I speculated and used Hennessey as an example in the other thread along with a few other players during different picks, but the point altogether doesnt require Hennessey to be a part of it. They could have been targeting someone a pick or two ahead of him as well, take your pick.  

3 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Amazing. Manish is just always wrong.

Still don't know why I follow him on Twitter.

If Gase is successful this year, it's gonna really hurt him.

You are 100% correct...Mehta is nothing but a scorned troll. Why anyone would still post anything on here that he has to say is amazing..let him just go away...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I don't think the Jets were liking Hennessy, Cushenberry, Harris or Biadasz at Center.  I think they like McGovern there.

I don't think they liked the Guards in the draft either, particularly road grader college types.  They like Van Roten, Lewis and Clark as a college T converted to G.   I just don't get the sense that the Jets think they missed out on any OL in the draft, and that they got who they wanted.  I am not saying that they did not miss out-just that they don't think they did.  

For the most part JD was focusing on athletic ability.  

I think Morgan and Perine (and now Gore) were Gase picks.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't think the Jets were liking Hennessy, Cushenberry, Harris or Biadasz at Center.  I think they like McGovern there.

I don't think they liked the Guards in the draft either, particularly road grader college types.  They like Van Roten, Lewis and Clark as a college T converted to G.   I just don't get the sense that the Jets think they missed out on any OL in the draft, and that they got who they wanted.  I am not saying that they did not miss out-just that they don't think they did.  

The thing all our OLmen have in common if positional flexibility. Clark, Fant, Edoga and Becton all have experience at LT/RT. McGovern, Lewis , Van Roten and Harrison all have experience on the IOL.

Injuries won't kill us like they did last year.

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Your theory now is that any team in the draft that is willing to trade back had a player "snaked" in front of them? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Seriously came to say this. He literally said on a podcast definitively that we were waiting for him at 79.

Guy is such a hack piece of sh*t.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

There's a big part of me that now hopes Alex & Cameron become our starting guards for the next few years just for the broadcaster puns about maps and territory

• Haha 2