Jets sign Frank Gore

19 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think that's what it is as much as (or more than) anything.

I can get past his 3.6 ypc last year, as that's very often a function of how the line is playing. What makes me lean less in that direction is Singletary got the other 8 starts and averaged 5.1 ypc. The lightened load should have helped Gore's average; instead it was the lowest mark of his career.

Six Degrees of Jetsparation: Gore's rookie year the same thing happened. He split carries roughly 50/50 with another back. He averaged a robust 4.8ypc and his teammate 3.3ypc behind the same line. The following season the team let the teammate go and went with Gore as the full-time back (and he had his career-best season). Newly promoted Tannenbaum/Mangini picked up his 3.3ypc teammate: Kevan Barlow. :bag:

There could be other legit reasons for such a disparity, like when they put Gore out there they always handed it off to him, to the point they may as well have texted the other team that they were running on the upcoming play.

OR... big name aside, Gore is 93 in RB years and has lost 2 steps from his prime.

Frank Gore averaged 4.44 YPC over his first 7 games of 2019 (95 carries 422 yards) Gore averaged just 2.49 YPC over his final 9 games (71 carries 177 yards)

seemed to be burnt by the 2nd half of the season. He started the first 8 games and then singletary the final 8. He won’t be asked to start here, hopefully it leads to a full season of good production as a backup. 

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

Frank Gore averaged 4.44 YPC over his first 7 games of 2019 (95 carries 422 yards) Gore averaged just 2.49 YPC over his final 9 games (71 carries 177 yards)

seemed to be burnt by the 2nd half of the season. He started the first 8 games and then singletary the final 8. He won’t be asked to start here, hopefully it leads to a full season of good production as a backup. 

No he’s going to get 5-7 carries a game to spell Bell

• Upvote 2

On 5/5/2020 at 12:07 PM, SAR I said:

goreyore.jpg

SAR I

Sar and I may disagree on the PSL thing as I'm a vintage Meadowlands STH lol, but I agree 100% with him on the Eeyoreish SOJFs on this board. How is signing a 3rd string RB that has been one of the best backs in the league in the last decade a bad thing? Hes not going to get more work than Bell. We have a nice backfield now. SOJFers are complaining and whining just for the sake of whining

@SAR I by the way, I love your eeyore memes

• Upvote 3

Just now, Prestige Worldwide said:

Sar and I may disagree on the PSL thing as I'm a vintage Meadowlands STH lol, but I agree 100% with him on the Eeyoreish SOJFs on this board. How is signing a 3rd string RB that has been one of the best backs in the league in the last decade a bad thing? Hes not going to get more work than Bell. We have a nice backfield now. SOJFers are complaining and whining just for the sake of whining

Yes.  You and SAR are correct that there is absolutely no reason to complain about signing Gore. None.  His presence alone will be good for that locker room, and people here underplay how important that is. It's one of the ways Rex self-destructed.   Gore and Bell are nice compliments on the field and with Gore, they can work in Perine as needed and as appropriate.  It is a very smart hire.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Could be, but just because it may fit the results it's hard to say that's the case when you get down to rationalizing causes behind a handful of games or several dozen carries. He could have had a nagging injury they kept secret. The blocking could have been better at different times. Who knows, unless you were either there, or glued to every offensive snap of Buffalo's last year and were hyper-focused on Gore specifically. Maybe he was used more for mopup, maybe the play calling was more predictable with Gore on the field, maybe a combination of things including wearing down.

But here's an interesting stat that, unless he started plodding to the line starting Nov 3rd, that there's more to it:

image.png

This is the primary reason why his ypc was lower -- fewer yards gained before first contact. But he also didn't break a tackle from 11/3 until our matchup week 17 when he broke 3 in his 6 carries. Broken tackles are on a small percentage of the carries, so that probably isn't going to drop his ypc from about 4.5 to 3. That is, unless a handful of them turned 2-3 yard gains into 10-20 yard gains -- then over a half-season of splitting half the carries, yeah it could have that big of an impact.

Whatever it is, we'll find out this year as long as he stays off PUP/IR.

I like the veteran leadership aspect, because you can't have all little kids, but I'd think Bell is plenty enough of a veteran presence at the position.

• Upvote 1

Anyway compare the above to Singletary's and it's dramatic. We can infer what the differential cause was - because it's way, way different - but you'd really have to watch the footage.

image.png

With YBC I don't know, maybe they disproportionately ran Gore more up the gut and the faster Singletary got more outside runs which might have a greater chance of losing a few yards but also a greater chance of a bigger hole opening up due to less congestion. On its face it doesn't just mean what we think or want it to mean.

At some point to draw such conclusions you just have to watch and see what happened, and I'm going to call not-it on that for some 300+ rushing attempts of Buffalo's last year.

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Too many carries to start the year IMO.  He shouldn't have had almost 14 carries per game (and was probably on the field for a few passes and picked up blitzes).

With the Jets he should be a 5 touch per game guy, putting him on the field for something like 12-15 plays per game to spell Bell.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Gore had an offer from the Raiders, chose the Jets to reunite with Gase:

Hmmm, yea, this has to be nonsense, because I was specifically told that all NFL players hate Gase and nobody wants to play for him. 

Mods, please delete post and ban. 

thanksssss

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Hmmm, yea, this has to be nonsense, because I was specifically told that all NFL players hate Gase and nobody wants to play for him. 

Mods, please delete post and ban. 

thanksssss

It's just that Gore is so old that he's gone senile and thinks that he likes Gase when, actually, he hates him. That's clearly what is going on here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001112904/article/frank-gore-wont-quit-jets-newest-rb-unbowed-by-father-time

Frank Gore won't quit: Jets' newest RB unbowed by Father Time

• By Jim Trotter
  • NFL.com reporter
  • Published: May 6, 2020 at 12:59 p.m.
  • Updated: May 6, 2020 at 04:06 p.m.

Arguably no one took greater interest in Frank Gore's decision to return for a 16th NFL season than Darren Sproles, a fellow running back who entered the league with him in 2005, when both were mid-round draft picks.

Sproles, who retired after last season, admitted he got an itch to return after seeing his friend and classmate agreed to a one-year deal with the Jets on Tuesday.

"I'm telling you this, the way Frank is still going right now makes me want to go again!" Sproles texted to NFL.com. "We're both the Class of 2005 and we both wanted to outlast the backs from our class that went before us."

Sproles made it clear he has no plans to lace up his cleats again, saying he was just joking, but Gore refused to put it past him.

"He's like me -- a competitor," the league's No. 3 all-time rusher said, chuckling. "That's how we were both able to last so long. I hope he doesn't come out of retirement, but he's a baller. I respect him a lot. If he does come back, I'm going to have to go another year (beyond 2020)."

Gore let out a long laugh. The truth is that he doesn't think that far ahead. For him, everything is year to year. He will never play solely for a paycheck, because he loves and respects the game too much for that. His approach is to carry on as long as he can have an impact on the field as well as in the locker room.

"You will never be that young guy again, but when I looked at myself on film last year in Buffalo, you couldn't tell my age," said Gore, who will turn 37 this month. "I'm talking about when I was playing a lot in the first half of the season -- like when I played against New England the first time, when I was playing against Cincinnati, when I was playing against the Jets and Giants. Before the bye week (Week 6), I was pushing for 1,000 yards."

He averaged nearly 67 yards on 15 carries through the first five weeks of his first and only season with the Bills before giving way to rookie Devin Singletary. He had offers to join the Jets or Raiders this offseason and went with New York in part because of his good relationship with coach Adam Gase, whom he played under in Miami in 2018.

"I got an opportunity to get back with a good friend and a guy I respect, and I'm happy that he wanted me to be on his team," he said. "And I'm happy to be around a guy who has done some great things in this league in Le'Veon Bell. That can motivate me. And I can help out the young kid that they just drafted, La'Mical Perine."

Gore appears to be the perfect complement for Bell, in that he is a three-down back who can be trusted with ball security and pass protection when Bell needs a break. But Gore also remains a capable ball-carrier, and as such he could make a run to surpass Marcus Allen's league record for most rushing yards by a back at age 37. Allen gained 505 in his final season with the Chiefs, in 1997; Gore has never gained fewer than than the 599 he had last season.

Interestingly, Gore attributes part of his success to Allen. He met the Hall of Famer in 2009 in North Carolina, where they were guests at a football camp conducted by longtime NFL assistant coach Jimmy Raye Sr. Gore, who was entering his fifth season, loves to pick the brains of the greats who preceded him, and Allen's words remain with him to this day.

"One thing he told me was, 'Don't worry about your age. Don't let nobody define what you want to do in this league,' " Gore said. "He told me they were trying to get him out of the league for a long time, but he said he was going to play until 37, and that's what he did. I always kept that in my head."

It would be foolish to bet against Gore, considering he has beaten the odds his entire career. Many doubted that he would see a second contract after having ACL surgery on both his left and right knees in college, then undergoing surgery on both shoulders after his rookie season. But the doubters did not realize the resilience and drive of the man.

He quickly developed a to-do list as a rookie and has systematically checked off each box. For instance, after failing to win Offensive Rookie of the Year, he said he would never allow another classmate to outrush him in a season or over their careers. Then, in Year 2, he crushed everyone by running for 1,695 yards. His 15,347 career yards are 9,330 more than the next closest member of his class, Cedric Benson, who, along with fellow first-round picks Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams and second-rounders J.J. Arrington and Eric Shelton, was drafted ahead of Gore.

CBS Sports reported that Gore's 6,508 yards rushing since turning 30 are more than any other back in that category, adding that four of the top five backs in rushing yards after turning 30 are in the Hall of Fame. Gore isn't thinking about the Hall of Fame just yet. First up: going into the record books as the last back standing from the 2005 NFL Draft.

"I'm happy for Frank," Sproles said. "The way he prepares each and every year, and the way he has been the most durable is just amazing."

"Me going through all the injuries, and then when I get to the league just hearing all the negative stuff, I set my goals and said I'll never let a man judge me," Gore said. "The only man I'll let judge me is that man up above. But I was determined to be the best in my class."

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2020 at 1:09 PM, Jetlife33 said:

Yeah Bell will lighten his load at the end. As he should.

• 2 weeks later...