Jets sign Frank Gore

Just now, SAR I said:

Dependable.  Reliable.  Experienced.  Locker room leader.  

These are the things you want in a backup player.  Someone the young guys can look up to.  Think of him not as a weapon, but as the Josh McCown calming influence to the young WRs and RBs on the squad.

SAR I

From the sounds of it his work ethic is off the charts, something our younger players can learn from. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Gore will get 3-5 touches per game.  Bell probably about 15-18, Perine will climb from 5 towards 10 and then higher if he earns it.

Gore was signed to carry this offense man.  He's not really taking touches from anyone or "sharing the load."  This is a culture signing, ala giving $10M to Josh McCown.

Hope you're right.  Gore must be (better be) incredible in the locker room because a 37 year old RB makes no sense

• Upvote 2

Just now, KRL said:

Hope you're right.  Gore must be (better be) incredible in the locker room because a 37 year old RB makes no sense

Could’ve said the same thing when the bills signed him, but it seems he had a huge influence in that locker room while having a good season

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Gore will get 3-5 touches per game.  Bell probably about 15-18, Perine will climb from 5 towards 10 and then higher if he earns it.

Gore was signed to carry this offense man.  He's not really taking touches from anyone or "sharing the load."  This is a culture signing, ala giving $10M to Josh McCown.

Gore will split carries. I’m almost certain. Gase LOVES Gore. One mood swing/comment from Bell and Gore takes the lead. 

Gase loves “his” guys and it’s bad habit.

This wasn’t needed at all. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

21 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Weren’t there rumors gore disliked Gase? Doesn’t seem to be the case 

That was my first thought too.  Gore was amonsgt those rumored to have said some unpleasant things behind the scenes.

Hopefully he can offer some insight on Buffalo's offense.

And Gore has been a remarkable player to play RB this long...

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

Gore will split carries. I’m almost certain. Gase LOVES Gore. One mood swing/comment from Bell and Gore takes the lead. 

Gase loves “his” guys and it’s bad habit.

This wasn’t needed at all. 

So did the Tuna and many other HC's it's bad if it means the younger better players don't get to play..

As a backup/short yardage alternative, I'm not sure how anyone can realistically complain about adding Frank Gore. I loved Powell, but his durability was always a major concern. 

Also, the notion that this signing means Perrine will not get any meaningful touches seems nonsensical to me. Teams routinely involve 3 running backs in their plans. There are also these things that happen sometimes, we call them "injuries."

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Dependable.  Reliable.  Experienced.  Locker room leader.  

These are the things you want in a backup player.  Someone the young guys can look up to.  Think of him not as a weapon, but as the Josh McCown calming influence to the young WRs and RBs on the squad.

SAR I

McCown is a actually great comp here, though not for the reasons you think.

• Haha 2

The more I think of the move the more I'm accepting it.  Why?  Because it
firmly puts Gase on the clock to have this offense significantly improved
this year.  When you "pound the table" for a 37 year old RB, I don't want to
hear any excuses

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets roster is really shaping up nicely

Just wait until 2022:

"The timeless wonder continues to chug along on a remarkable NFL career as his son, Frank Gore Jr., enters his freshman year at Southern Miss. Could dad continue to find work in the league until his son enters the NFL?"

SAR I

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

When a Hall Of Fame running back without a Super Bowl ring comes to the New York Jets it tells you two things:

1.  He believes a Jets Super Bowl run is happening in the next 1-2 years.

2.  He respects and wants to play for Adam Gase.

SAR I

In reality, it tells me the Jets offered him money that no other team did

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Josh McCown didn't play much but his influence on a young Sam Darnold was immeasurable.

Do you trust Joe Douglas?  I do.  Every Championship team has that old/crafty/experienced player who keeps the locker room in check and sets a cultural example.  His 5 snaps a game isn't going to hurt us, and if Bell or Perine get sidelined, he's a trusted guy to get tough yards and make a big block.

SAR I

Everybody knows RBs need mentors just as much as QBs do.  Both positions equally difficult to adjust to.

Just speculating here...

Is there another O'Brien somewhere in the NFL that JD can trade Bell to now? 

JD maybe is willing to eat a chunk of Bell's salary and trade him for a 2021 draft choice...before his value slips even further after another poor season.  In which case Bell would have to be cut...instead of Jets getting a pick for him.  

I think Gase would want this.  

Just a small chance of this happening.  But if another team's feature back has a major injury during TC-preseason...who knows. 

Again...just speculating.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

McCown is a actually great comp here, though not for the reasons you think.

Are we really going to jump off a cliff because we signed a veteran third-string running back? 

In the big picture, this move is inconsequential.  The benefit, if any, is in the intangibles-  locker room, culture, work ethic, mentoring, etc.  Mop up duty in a blowout.  A safe set of hands to kill the clock late in the game.  A trusted backup if an injury strikes RB1 or RB2.  Don't lose any sleep over this.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

The more I think of the move the more I'm accepting it.  Why?  Because it
firmly puts Gase on the clock to have this offense significantly improved
this year.  When you "pound the table" for a 37 year old RB, I don't want to
hear any excuses

"Frank Gore Is The Adam Gase Mandate" by Manish Mehta

SAR I

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Josh McCown didn't play much but his influence on a young Sam Darnold was immeasurable.

Do you trust Joe Douglas?  I do.  Every Championship team has that old/crafty/experienced player who keeps the locker room in check and sets a cultural example.  His 5 snaps a game isn't going to hurt us, and if Bell or Perine get sidelined, he's a trusted guy to get tough yards and make a big block.

SAR I

If McCown's influence is immeasurable, how do you know it wasn't zero?

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

If we assume Bell, Gore and Perine are locks.....do ANY of Cannon, Josh Adams or Ken Dixon make the team?

I think if Cannons healthy his speed can come in handy, but Adams and Dixon were Gase/Douglas moves while cannon was a mac pick. We’ll have to see how it plays out 

• Upvote 1