Jets sign Frank Gore

51 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

However KRL, could the Jets now then:

A) Sit Perine for awhile and let him watch and learn, playing ST to start

b) Give Bell the bulk of the running duties to start

c) Use Gore to spell off Bell and let Perine watch how it is done.

d) Potentially strike a deal for Bell before the trade deadline, get something for him (even if it means retaining salary EDIT: Anyone who knows the ramifications here, please offer!), and then have Gore and Perine take the bulk of the carries the remainder of the year, signing another 3rd back to fill in.

THen, the following year, if Perine is ready, give him the bulk of the carries.  IF not, you draft/sign another feature back, and let Perine be the #2 guy.

All possible but usually the backup RB's are going to be on the special team units.

I know Gore won't  be on them at his age.  I wonder what the roster construction will be?

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Isn't Bell supposed to be the veteran presence? 

This is just the beginning of the end of Bell in NY. He will be gone after the 2020 season and Perine will be the lead back in 2021.  Book it. Gore is here to mentor Perine and take touches away from Bell.

If that's true, why did we only sign Gore to a 1-year deal?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Maturity more than technique.  Work ethic more than footwork.  Do you want to win the division?  It takes some veteran presence to get there.  When young guys see a guy like Gore working as hard as he does with the high expectations he has, it rubs off.

Name the old Jets players that were once elite and set the example for a roster that is getting very young very quickly.  LaDanian Tomlinson.  Plaxico Burress.  Jason Taylor.  Tony Richardson.  Damien Woody.  Guys like that.  We don't have any.  

SAR I

Somebody to chill the locker room out when the team gets off to a 2-5 start.  Not a bad idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Bit by bit the anti-Gase narrative gets smashed

The only thing that does that is winning.  Or, ya' know, finding a way to crack the top 31 on offense.

2 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Why have Bell if we ain't going to use him ? Gase doesn't have a clue . I would take Bilal over the old guy anyday .

Gore is going to get more touches then Bell if Gase gets his way

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Oh, sorry, thought we were on a message board. I apologize for recognizing you.  Should I have a bigger point? I'm sorry your boyfriend isn't going to be on the team anymore. This should have happened a while ago, in all honesty. I'm glad we won't have to hear you defend his mediocre ass anymore. 

I think you have me confused with someone else. I don’t know what you’re talking about. 

It's not that I don't like Frank Gore. I do but, seriously, at 37 years old how can his body play like its 27? It can't. Bilal has proven to be a solid and steady player for this team for years with a two thirds more tread on the tires. There's also no question that he's faster and a better pass catcher than Gore. He would've provided more diversity to the offense. Not a devastating blow to this franchise by any means, (when you don't make the playoffs for years nothing is devastating) but, choosing Gore over Powell doesn't make sense to me. Hope I'm proven wrong.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Why have Bell if we ain't going to use him ? Gase doesn't have a clue . I would take Bilal over the old guy anyday .

Never before has a third string running back caused so much SOJFness.  

Watching you all implode over a spare part is hysterical.  

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

That’s a nice pick up, like it a lot. 

I think Gore's signing marks the end of Bilal Powell's Jets career. I think they keep Cannon since he plays on special teams as well as third down back.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, Viermoo said:

It's not that I don't like Frank Gore. I do but, seriously, at 37 years old how can his body play like its 27? It can't. Bilal has proven to be a solid and steady player for this team for years with a two thirds more tread on the tires. There's also no question that he's faster and a better pass catcher than Gore. He would've provided more diversity to the offense. Not a devastating blow to this franchise by any means, (when you don't make the playoffs for years nothing is devastating) but, choosing Gore over Powell doesn't make sense to me. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Have you seen the highlights from last season? Gore looks much better than Powell, even at 37. Gore had nearly 600 yards rushing last season which was probably more than the entire Jets team.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Maturity more than technique.  Work ethic more than footwork.  Do you want to win the division?  It takes some veteran presence to get there.  When young guys see a guy like Gore working as hard as he does with the high expectations he has, it rubs off.

Name the old Jets players that were once elite and set the example for a roster that is getting very young very quickly.  LaDanian Tomlinson.  Plaxico Burress.  Jason Taylor.  Tony Richardson.  Damien Woody.  Guys like that.  We don't have any.  

SAR I

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif~c200

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

If someone steps up, then you cut Gore.  If someone doesn't, Douglas has assured himself of someone they know can do the job until they find a younger alternative.

I hear ya, I just think we are talking about a 3rd string RB. Perine is not getting cut. Even if Adams or Moore or Dixon don't particularly stand out I'd still rather keep one of them just b/c they are younger and have some more upside than Gore, who is all but done with football. How bad can the young guys be that one of them can't earn a 3rd string role? I dunno, this move doesn't make sense to me. 

I wouldn’t want to try to tackle Frank Gore in 3rd & 1 or 2 running up Mount Bechtons back. 
Damn near impossible. 
Bell doesn’t stick his head in there, Frank Gores head is like a cinder block! 
even at 37 the guys one of the best inside runners in the league. 

• Upvote 3

A few thoughts on the RB Frank Gore addition: 1. I love it from an intangibles standpoint. He will elevate everyone in RB room, especially rookie La'Mical Perine and including Le'Veon Bell. 2. Bell will remain RB1, but Gore can spell him for 5-10 carries per game. Some believe Bell wore down late last season. This will help. 3. Gore doesn't have much third-down value (only 81 snaps over the last two seasons). He's not an speed back, which means he's not an ideal complement to Bell.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_rich.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer26m ago