Jets sign Frank Gore

I think Powell has been one of my favorite Jets to watch play on one of the WORST Jets team I've seen in the past 3 decades of Jets Football.

Having said that, I believe Frank Gore is a better RB right now............

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Seibelt said:

I think Powell has been one of my favorite Jets to watch play on one of the WORST Jets team I've seen in the past 3 decades of Jets Football.

Gonna miss 29 if he's gone

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Why have Bell if we ain't going to use him ? Gase doesn't have a clue . I would take Bilal over the old guy anyday .

And that would be ridiculous, Powell was never and won't ever be a better player than Gore.  

• Thumb Down 1

Didn't read the thread but Gore is the definition of a pro's pro. Buffalo's loss is our gain.

To anyone who didn't like this signing, I'll just say if signing Frank Gore to a one year deal is the worst move Douglas makes this offseason, he's done pretty damn well.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

Appears Jets goal is to have the slowest RB corps in the NFL ?. Unsure how this fits with JD's emphasis on adding "explosive" skill players to the offense.

However, lack of speed at RB isn't the end of the world. And JD did add major speed at WR with Perriman and Mims. If they & other receivers stretch the field while the o-line opens holes ... hopefully that = our powerful backs Bell, Perine and Gore getting to the second level. Can still make hay with a downhill rushing attack as Titans, Ravens and Niners demonstrated last year.

ram punching bag GIF

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

The more I think of the move the more I'm accepting it.  Why?  Because it
firmly puts Gase on the clock to have this offense significantly improved
this year.  When you "pound the table" for a 37 year old RB, I don't want to
hear any excuses

No, this goes to show that Gase and JD are on the same page and that Gase is guaranteed to be the HC in 2021.

Do you really think that Gase "pounded the table" for this signing and that JD just gave into Gase? It was discussed like adults and agreed upon that both think it's a wise move.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

When a Hall Of Fame running back without a Super Bowl ring comes to the New York Jets it tells you two things:

1.  He believes a Jets Super Bowl run is happening in the next 1-2 years.

2.  He respects and wants to play for Adam Gase.

SAR I

3. He shares the same investment guy as Mark Brunell and needs the money

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

It's a 1 year deal for a quality vet for depth.

How is this a bad deal?   It's not like they are signing him for 12 million dollars, it's a cheap contract for a part time player who is, buy all accounts, a great locker room guy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It's a 1 year deal for a quality vet for depth.

How is this a bad deal?   It's not like they are signing him for 12 million dollars, it's a cheap contract for a part time player who is, buy all accounts, a great locker room guy.

when you think about how this year will be unique in so many ways, from reduced camp practices to a large roster overhaul during douglas' first draft/FA period to potentially fewer fans at games, perhaps even a reduced schedule - gore is needed in this locker room.  

Besides Gore, the only guys close to 30 are van roten, griffen and mcclendon.  this is a very young team all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, Viermoo said:

It's not that I don't like Frank Gore. I do but, seriously, at 37 years old how can his body play like its 27? It can't. Bilal has proven to be a solid and steady player for this team for years with a two thirds more tread on the tires. There's also no question that he's faster and a better pass catcher than Gore. He would've provided more diversity to the offense. Not a devastating blow to this franchise by any means, (when you don't make the playoffs for years nothing is devastating) but, choosing Gore over Powell doesn't make sense to me. Hope I'm proven wrong.

There is a question.

We need leaders in the locker room. Have been missing since we lost guys like Tony Richardson. Love that Douglas is trying to get more of them in. 

I love the investment here - when you get someone like Beckton, you attack to his side again and again....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If that's true, why did we only sign Gore to a 1-year deal?

Because he is a 37 year old RB and if JD signed him for more than a year, he should have had his head examined.  Gore teaches Perine how to be a dedicated, hard working pro this year, rides into the HOF sunset next year, and the Jets are off to the races in 2021 without Bell and Gore, which will leave them plenty of money to find a suitable backup or new RB if Perine doesn't work out.

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, Ohhthepain said:

Big locker room addition.

I think that's what it is as much as (or more than) anything.

I can get past his 3.6 ypc last year, as that's very often a function of how the line is playing. What makes me lean less in that direction is Singletary got the other 8 starts and averaged 5.1 ypc. The lightened load should have helped Gore's average; instead it was the lowest mark of his career.

Six Degrees of Jetsparation: Gore's rookie year the same thing happened. He split carries roughly 50/50 with another back. He averaged a robust 4.8ypc and his teammate 3.3ypc behind the same line. The following season the team let the teammate go and went with Gore as the full-time back (and he had his career-best season). Newly promoted Tannenbaum/Mangini picked up his 3.3ypc teammate: Kevan Barlow. :bag:

There could be other legit reasons for such a disparity, like when they put Gore out there they always handed it off to him, to the point they may as well have texted the other team that they were running on the upcoming play.

OR... big name aside, Gore is 93 in RB years and has lost 2 steps from his prime.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Six Degrees of Jetsparation: Gore's rookie year the same thing happened. He split carries roughly 50/50 with another back. He averaged a robust 4.8ypc and his teammate 3.3ypc behind the same line. The following season the team let the teammate go and went with Gore as the full-time back (and he had his career-best season). Jets GM Terry Bradway picked up his 3.3ypc teammate: Kevan Barlow. :bag:

C'mon, be fair.  It was 2006, that was Tannenbaum/Mangini.  After 2005, Bradway was kicked back to scouting.  Barlow wasn't their first choice. They initially tried for the immortal Lee Suggs out of Virginia Tech and traded Derrick Strait for him, but Suggs failed the physical and then ended up making the move for Barlow.  Suggs averaged a robust 4.3 for the Dolphins in 2006.  Of course, that was on 6 carries.  Still better than Barlow's 370 on 131 carries.  He did have 6 TDs.  I keep wondering why that 2.8 ypc isn't brought up with all the whining about Bell. 

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I can get past his 3.6 ypc last year, as that's very often a function of how the line is playing. What makes me lean less in that direction is Singletary got the other 8 starts and averaged 5.1 ypc. The lightened load should have helped Gore's average; instead it was the lowest mark of his career.

Six Degrees of Jetsparation: Gore's rookie year the same thing happened. He split carries roughly 50/50 with another back. He averaged a robust 4.8ypc and his teammate 3.3ypc behind the same line. The following season the team let the teammate go and went with Gore as the full-time back (and he had his career-best season). Jets GM Terry Bradway picked up his 3.3ypc teammate: Kevan Barlow. :bag:

There could be other legit reasons for such a disparity, like when they put Gore out there they always handed it off to him, to the point they may as well have texted the other team that they were running on the upcoming play.

OR... big name aside, Gore is 93 in RB years and has lost 2 steps from his prime.

Kevan Barlow. That 2006 team sucked they made the playoffs off the back of Kerry Rhodes and Jericho Cotchery. It’s crazy how good of a job Mangini and Tanny did turning over that roster into the one that Rex Ryan and Tanny destroyed.

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

shortened training camps and mini camps, large roster turnover, departure of other vets like beachum, barely any guys on the roster close to 30.  gore is needed on this team, which is suddenly very young.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Barlow did ball out in Foxboro that year if nothing else.

2 hours ago, Seibelt said:

What’s that based on? Not stats.