Jets sign Frank Gore

What’s that based on? Not stats.

No, it’s mostly based on drunken memories of watching football on Sundays and for the life of me not remembering Powell breaking many tackles for touchdowns(Not to mention darn Fantasy Football when Gore was stealing points from Singletary, but I digress.......)

Again, I enjoyed watching Powell give the team everything he had, year after year.

14 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

That’s the opposite of Bell who would prefer to just show up week 1 and get 25 touches . But, then again, that works for Bell. It will be interesting to see if Gore’s appetite for practice will make Bell more interested in practice.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Wtf? I guess Red Grange is unavailable. 

I’m sure a certain poster brought up its because Gase is a genius not because the Jets offered him a better contract then anyone else. 

Curtis Martin just had a birthday.  Why not give a 1-year deal because he used to be great along with some of Hightower's cupcakes?

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Curtis Martin just had a birthday.  Why not give a 1-year deal because he used to be great along with some of Hightower's cupcakes?

I can remember the days when you had insightful posts that were interesting to read.  Too bad you have gone down the rabbit hole to snarky one liners.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I can remember the days when you had insightful posts that were interesting to read.  Too bad you have gone down the rabbit hole to snarky one liners.

That's absurd.  I was never interesting to read.  You're just getting wiser in your old age.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Matt O'Leary did a good job in his video comparing Gore and Powell so hats off to you bud!  To be honest there really is no comparison that Powell is the better player.  I am not a fan of this move and knowing Gase he will give him lots of carries.

This move would make a lot more sense if Bell is to be moved.   Right now I don’t get the logic of having a 37 year old RB and a washed up vet who will be gone next season making $15M, on this roster right now.  Honestly, I’d rather roll with the rookie and some of the other younger guys on the roster this year.  Might as well see what they have.  

This franchise is so odd, running back is typically one of the easiest positions to fill with young talent and yet they continually go down the road of signing past their prime vets and 30+ year old FAs.   Frustrating.  

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That’s the opposite of Bell who would prefer to just show up week 1 and get 25 touches . But, then again, that works for Bell. It will be interesting to see if Gore’s appetite for practice will make Bell more interested in practice.

Narrator - it didnt

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it - I heard that Powell was dealing with similar neck issues as Enunwa... alarming - could explain signing a bit more - insurance maybe?

That makes sense, but I kind of preferred the in house options (Adams, Dixon, etc...)

So we signed a well-over-the-hill committee running back old veteran, prsumably because Gase couldn't figure out how to use the guys he already had, and he remembers having Gore a few years ago.

And of course, we are continuing our trend of signing other teams future HOF players so they can play out the string with us.

Exciting. :-k

Too bad Christian Okoye wasn't still available.  I'd love to pair Okoye and Mike Alstott with Bell in our geriatric backfield. 

Anyone call those guys yet, see if they'd sign, beast-style, for short money?

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

C'mon, be fair.  It was 2006, that was Tannenbaum/Mangini.  After 2005, Bradway was kicked back to scouting.  Barlow wasn't their first choice. They initially tried for the immortal Lee Suggs out of Virginia Tech and traded Derrick Strait for him, but Suggs failed the physical and then ended up making the move for Barlow.  Suggs averaged a robust 4.3 for the Dolphins in 2006.  Of course, that was on 6 carries.  Still better than Barlow's 370 on 131 carries.  He did have 6 TDs.  I keep wondering why that 2.8 ypc isn't brought up with all the whining about Bell. 

You’re right. I thought we added him in 2005. 

Fixed. 

58 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

This move would make a lot more sense if Bell is to be moved.   Right now I don’t get the logic of having a 37 year old RB and a washed up vet who will be gone next season making $15M, on this roster right now.  Honestly, I’d rather roll with the rookie and some of the other younger guys on the roster this year.  Might as well see what they have.  

This franchise is so odd, running back is typically one of the easiest positions to fill with young talent and yet they continually go down the road of signing past their prime vets and 30+ year old FAs.   Frustrating.  

Couple other guys have already mentioned it but he was probably signed for what he does during practice and off the field. Hard working player who can mentor and lead by example. The jets don’t really have too many of these types of guys...

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Couple other guys have already mentioned it but he was probably signed for what he does during practice and off the field. Hard working player who can mentor and lead by example. The jets don’t really have too many of these types of guys...

I’ve never bought into the whole “mentor” thing, especially at running back.   If a guy doesn’t have the motivation to be good and work hard to begin with, then he’s generally not going to be successful regardless of who he is watching in practice.   It’s just an incredibly overrated topic.   

16 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Kevan Barlow. That 2006 team sucked they made the playoffs off the back of Kerry Rhodes and Jericho Cotchery. It’s crazy how good of a job Mangini and Tanny did turning over that roster into the one that Rex Ryan and Tanny destroyed.

My error on the year originally. It was Tannenbaum/Mangini who picked up Barlow. 

There’s plenty of blame all around.  There was no great builder of long lasting teams. Tannenbaum/Mangini drafted well at times (better than Maccagnan and Idzik, that’s for sure) but also drafted the likes of Gholston, Clemens, Schlegel, and yes good additions like Woody were also offset by Barlow and trading 2nd rd pick value for Thomas Jones who was a an expensive nothingburger without a premium OL. Picks like Stephen Hill were all Tannenbaum. Mangini built nothing post-Jets himself and his act wore thin.

As much as drafting Brick/Mangold is celebrated, it’s a bit overdone. The former did have 5 really good to great years but another 5 that weren’t after a slow start and early fade, and people mention his name with reverence as though he had 10 great years here or was a top 3 LT or something; the latter had a great career but his pick cost us John Abraham, who was much harder to adequately replace, his position costs more (and typically higher) picks to try to replace, and amazingly this Jet with the softie/fragile rep was still a star edge rusher until age 36. 

The Jets had no genius team builders. Despite the rocky start with Kalil (admittedly a late start, since there weren’t any good centers available or on the team by the time he was hired), I’m optimistic on him. But in truth we haven’t seen his recent offseason wins translate to game (let alone division/conference/SB) wins yet, so call it cautiously optimistic. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

it's so easy to draft a rb in the middle rounds every other year but the jets have been content to bring in rbs from other teams - curtis, thomas jones, LT, forte, etc.  but i think now they are doing it right with perine.

i think the best logic for bringing in gore is two-fold:  first, he'll be a stabilizing presence in the locker room with the team's roster undergoing a major overhaul and some other vets leaving.  look at the current roster - only a few guys over 30.  beachum, powell gone.  this team is young now and could really use a guy like gore this year.  second, they now have 3 rbs of varying ages who do basically the same thing so if one gets hurt they still have 2 other guys who can run the system.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Would rather have just resigned Bilal Powell, who has been great for years.

Powell is one of my favorite players.  Also seems to be a good team guy.  

Thing is Powell always seems to be playing hurt, and his production falls off when he is.

Jets drafted a very similar player who, of course, is much younger.  Hate to see Bilal go, but I understand  the reasons behind the move.

12 hours ago, BklynJetsFan85 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it - I heard that Powell was dealing with similar neck issues as Enunwa... alarming - could explain signing a bit more - insurance maybe?

I’m shocked Powell even played at all last year