Onwanuasour

If you're going to start a thread about him, the least thing you can do is google the guy's name. 

I think there is still a very good chance Williamson get traded or cut (much like Winters). 

Peanut is a versatile ILB who has flashed some pass rush ability which is what attracted JD to bringing him in to compete for a roster spot. But thats all it is. I can't imagine he starts over Williamson (if he is kept) or Neville Hewitt (if he plays like he did last year). And even if he makes the roster, it will be for depth in certain situation, because Burgess is still a better overall backup and then there is still Cashman, who, if healthy can't be written off and will get an opportunity.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

If you're going to start a thread about him, the least thing you can do is google the guy's name. 

I think there is still a very good chance Williamson get traded or cut (much like Winters). 

Peanut is a versatile ILB who has flashed some pass rush ability which is what attracted JD to bringing him in to compete for a roster spot. But thats all it is. I can't imagine he starts over Williamson (if he is kept) or Neville Hewitt (if he plays like he did last year). And even if he makes the roster, it will be for depth in certain situation, because Burgess is still a better overall backup and then there is still Cashman, who, if healthy can't be written off and will get an opportunity.   

He has played beside Mosley in the past. That relationship may help him like Jamie Mosley. 

Mosley is like the like Pacino in Donnie Brasco. If you are with Mosley you are a "made man"

If you played for Gase you're a connected guy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

He has played beside Mosley in the past. That relationship may help him like Jamie Mosley. 

Mosley is like the like Pacino in Donnie Brasco. If you are with Mosley you are a "made man"

If you played for Gase you're a connected guy

Fuggettaboutitt!

• Haha 1

From what I read Onwuasor struggled last year when he tried to replace
Mosley in BAL defense.  But the big thing to look at in his numbers is
what he did when he played WITH Mosley in 2017 and 2018:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576761/patrick-onwuasor

He had his most tackles and sacks so it seems that when he's freed up
to just roam he's pretty productive

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Patrick Onwuasor. Tough name to say and spell. 

27 years old, so still in his prime. 213 tackles and 9 1/2 sacks over 3 years as a part time starter (31 starts in 46 games). Newsday article says he lost his starting job at one point because of struggles against the run. But that was without Mosley by his side.  

The thing that pops out to me is the sack total over 3 years. That’s a decent amount for an ILB. He will be used to provide some inside rush. Hopefully he’s at his best with CJ right there with him. 

Looking at the ILB’s it’s tough to see everyone staying. Avery Williamson, Hewitt, Burgess, Mosley, Cashman, and Onwuasor. That’s a lot. Williamson carries a big cap hit, and is coming off a serious injury. I’m betting he’s the odd man out. Especially because Hewitt and Burgess played pretty well in his absence. Frees up what, 9 million?

• Upvote 1

This is one signing by JD that I don't get. 9.5 sacks in three years isn't that impressive.  He goes 6'0 227lbs which is pretty small of a ILB.  He's about the same size a Jamal. I haven't heard any mentions of his pass coverage skills so I assume that he is below average.  Looks like a back up to me.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

He was picked to play alongside Mosley.  GW is a mastermind.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, vtbx said:

This is one signing by JD that I don't get. 9.5 sacks in three years isn't that impressive.  He goes 6'0 227lbs which is pretty small of a ILB.  He's about the same size a Jamal. I haven't heard any mentions of his pass coverage skills so I assume that he below average.  Looks like a back up to me.

That sounds incredibly similar to the "Pisser”

13 hours ago, TNJet said:

Or whatever his name is. The LB from Baltimore, will he start? Is he an upgrade over Avery W.? I'm not so sure. I know nothing about the guy. Does anyone?

Is Onwanuasour a dinosaur from Jurassic Park? 

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, KRL said:

This is where Onwuasor's value lies - JD is building a TEAM, so it really is of no importance if Williamson "appears to be a better player".  Onwuasor excelled next to our current MLB and has a skill set of speed/blitzing that fits nicely vs Mosley's ability in zone coverage.  

I love this signing and think he should excel in our defense in the role that he filled in Baltimore in 2018.

13 hours ago, vtbx said:

This is one signing by JD that I don't get. 9.5 sacks in three years isn't that impressive.  He goes 6'0 227lbs which is pretty small of a ILB.  He's about the same size a Jamal. I haven't heard any mentions of his pass coverage skills so I assume that he below average.  Looks like a back up to me.

I figured out this signing. Its the continuity signing by Joe. He does that like the Florida guys, the Colts guys, Dolphins guys, now the Ravens guys if you count CJ. He likes a ckise nit group. I think its a very smart strategy. Creates a good locker room.

No way he's better than Burgess, or Hewitt, or Cashman yet.

22 hours ago, KRL said:

our new SS?

• Upvote 1

JD learned something in Baltimore, if you have a big strong Dline that keeps your LBs clean you can wreak havoc on offenses. 
#1- take away their run game. Our Dline is strong & quick against the run & QW, Foley, Shepard, Phillips & the Teacher (McClendon) will only make them better as now they all have experience. 
#2- Can’t run, next offensive phase is to go to the short game & use the pass as the run. Fine in theory until you realize the Jets are LOADED at LB & Safety! All these guys, Mosely, Adams, Davis, Peanut can RUN, are instinctive & they can all tackle. 
#3- That leaves teams in 2nd & 3rd and long. At this point it’s all about how much pressure the Jets can bring. 
GW has to be very excited. If, and this is a big if, Quinnen Williams comes into his own, he could be the Jets Ngata like the Ravens has when JD was there. 
If you remember, the year the Ravens had injuries along their Dline Ray Lewis stats plummeted. If our Dline keeps that 2nd level of defense clean & free to run, this defense will be HELL on young QBs. And we’ll be facing a LOT OF YOUNG QBS this year! 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

JD learned something in Baltimore, if you have a big strong Dline that keeps your LBs clean you can wreak havoc on offenses. 
#1- take away their run game. Our Dline is strong & quick against the run & QW, Foley, Shepard, Phillips & the Teacher (McClendon) will only make them better as now they all have experience. 
#2- Can’t run, next offensive phase is to go to the short game & use the pass as the run. Fine in theory until you realize the Jets are LOADED at LB & Safety! All these guys, Mosely, Adams, Davis, Peanut can RUN, are instinctive & they can all tackle. 
#3- That leaves teams in 2nd & 3rd and long. At this point it’s all about how much pressure the Jets can bring. 
GW has to be very excited. If, and this is a big if, Quinnen Williams comes into his own, he could be the Jets Ngata like the Ravens has when JD was there. 
If you remember, the year the Ravens had injuries along their Dline Ray Lewis stats plummeted. If our Dline keeps that 2nd level of defense clean & free to run, this defense will be HELL on young QBs. And we’ll be facing a LOT OF YOUNG QBS this year! 

I'm sure Pat Mahomes is shaking in his boots.  

This defense might be able to confuse the likes of Josh Allen and Drew Lock.  Justin Herbert too, if he ends up winning the job over Tyrod Taylor by the time we face the Chargers.  Maybe we'll face Tua once as well.

But the rest of the QB's on the schedule?  Nah.