JetFan20

Rotoworld: NFL Head Coach rankings

And that's ranking him above all the new hires. There no way he's a better coach than McCarthy or Rivera and he's likely not better than Rhule.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

25. Adam Gase 
Career Record: 30-34 (.469)  
With The Jets Since: 2019 
Last Year’s Ranking: — — 

In 2018, then Dolphins coach Adam Gase oversaw a skill corps led by Ryan Tannehill, Kenyan Drakeand DeVante Parker. How did they fare their first season without him? Career year, career year, and … you guessed it, career year. This long-established Gase trend achieved transcendent levels of farce in 2019, as did his offense. Sam Darnold got hurt then saw ghosts. Le'Veon Bellreceived zero blocking and looked done. Robby Anderson sleepwalked through September-November before coming alive in December (again). You could credibly argue none of this was Gase’s fault. The bigger problem is, every time there was a question, Gase didn’t have an answer. Why do Gase’s players show their biggest improvement once they’ve been traded away? Why is the thing he’s most excelled at been antagonizing his own talent? Maybe Gase is one of the hardest-luck coaches in NFL history. He’s led two directionless franchises and been victimized by injury in both spots. The thing is, if you haven’t made your own luck through 64 games, you’re probably never going to. Little from Gase’s first job suggested he deserved a second chance. Little from 2019 suggested he’ll get more than two years in New York.      

—————————————

Not bad commentary at all. All excuses, no substance. All these wild trends of players underperforming under him and  overperforming without him are mere coincidence. 

And LOL at him being below Dan Quinn, whose continued employment is even more inexplicable than coke eyes.

• Sad 1

if you dislike gase it's a fair assessment.  if you look at it objectively then you realize rotoworld is just a bunch of hacks.  i agree with the top 5 but then when they put up guys like mcvay and shanahan it gets a little ridiculous.  carroll should be ahead of both of those guys.

• Upvote 3

This is about right.  Gase has a lot to prove this year and if the Jets don't show significant improvement on the offensive side of the ball, he will be gone.  Hopefully an improved (but not great) supporting cast will produce a breakout year from Darnold and more options for Gase to run the offense he wants. 

• Upvote 1

For all those rooting for Gase to be fired, realize if/when it happens, that also means Sam is a bust

some pretty ill sh*t has to go down 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

For all those rooting for Gase to be fired, realize if/when it happens, that also means Sam is a bust

Well, it actually means Sam will have his best years as soon as he’s away from Gase.  That seems to be the clear trend.

He’s lucky to be 25th - but the commentary is directly on point - nothing in it is even opinion.  Just the very sad facts! 

Anyone paying attention and not a Gase fan-boy knows he has no right being an NFL HC. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, it actually means Sam will have his best years as soon as he’s away from Gase.  

he will have been through 3 years of a rookie deal, that means in season 4 he has to light it up (new offensive system? What does this coach want to run, etc). They have to trigger his 5th year option without a whole bunch of knowledge

basically he'd have to have 2 amazing years after 3 meh ones to justify that 100 million dollar contract Woody doesn't want to give him 

you can do it GIF

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I want him fired to save Darnold, it is as simple as that.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, it actually means Sam will have his best years as soon as he’s away from Gase.  That seems to be the clear trend.

He’s lucky to be 25th - but the commentary is directly on point - nothing in it is even opinion.  Just the very sad facts! 

Anyone paying attention and not a Gase fan-boy knows he has no right being an NFL HC. 

Wrong it will mean they are declining his 5th year option and letting the new coach get his guy. Look at what the Cards just did or even the packers... new coaches don’t want the other guys underperforming QB

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Wrong it will mean they are declining his 5th year option and letting the new coach get his guy. Look at what the Cards just did or even the packers... new coaches don’t want the other guys underperforming QB

shhh... be careful what you say 

these people bought jerseys, man 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he will have been through 3 years of a rookie deal, that means in season 4 he has to light it up (new offensive system? What does this coach want to run, etc). They have to trigger his 5th year option without a whole bunch of knowledge

basically he'd have to have 2 amazing years after 3 meh ones to justify that 100 million dollar contract Woody doesn't want to give him 

you can do it GIF

Well, being a “bust” and being off the Jets are two very different things.  The moment Gase signed we may have already written Sam’s ticket out of NY.  But because Gase is an awful coach...

Sam would likely go somewhere else and have a career under the leadership of a legitimate coaching staff.

15 minutes ago, ECURB said:

Wait, I’m sorry...Didn’t Gase’s last QB just have a career year?  Wasn’t he Gase’s underperforming QB?

If you think people writing these articles know these things don’t you think every GM in the league understands what Gase is also?  Sam will absolutely be given another chance.  He’ll be 26 years old.  It’s just depressing.

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sam would likely go somewhere else and have a career under the leadership of a legitimate coaching staff.

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

I have no issues with it. He isn't a nfl caliber coach, nothing new here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, being a “bust” and being off the Jets are two very different things.  The moment Gase signed we may have already written Sam’s ticket out of NY.  But because Gase is an awful coach...

How often does that happen? More likely that if he is actually that good he carries Gase.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Wait, I’m sorry...Didn’t Gase’s last QB just have a career year?  Wasn’t he Gase’s underperforming QB?

If you think people writing these articles know these things don’t you think every GM in the league understands what Gase is also?  Sam will absolutely be given another chance.  He’ll be 26 years old.  It’s just depressing.

To my point the Dolphins dumped him. Also he is not a great QB... maybe good but certainly not putting up any numbers.

Also LOL at using Ryan Tannehill to make your point about Darnold.

• Upvote 1

I'm just going to look at this from the standpoint of last year when he was HC of the Jets. 

There were times when the offense was humming and it looked very good but it was never consistently good. And this is Gases issue, consistency. To defend Gase a little, part of that has to do with talent and part of it is his coaching.

I do believe that he is a bottom 5 HC now but I have seen flashes of what his offense can do and that looked great. Hopefully they take a step in the right direction this year, if not Gase is a guaranteed goner. 

25 seems fair. The team held it together which was great but he hasn’t proven to be able to have his team play at a high level. I’m betting on Gase this year. I think he’ll prove to be at least average this year. Darnold will prove to be above average. And the rest is history.

Wait.  So SOJF's hate Adam Gase?  What a revelation.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Wait.  So SOJF's hate Adam Gase?  What a revelation.

SAR I

"All you need is love"

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

c'mon.  you know better than this.  tannehill had a really good year in his first year with gase and then was injured the remaining two seasons.  even there tannehill didn't play badly, he was just injured.  as for his "breakot" year in tennessee, many qbs would look better with henry running the ball.  he didn't look so good in the conference championship game.  maybe because henry was injured?

Why do Gase’s players show their biggest improvement once they’ve been traded away? Why is the thing he’s most excelled at been antagonizing his own talent? Maybe Gase is one of the hardest-luck coaches in NFL history. He’s led two directionless franchises and been victimized by injury in both spots. The thing is, if you haven’t made your own luck through 64 games, you’re probably never going to.

These are very fair questions and ones that are asked around here a lot.  This is a make/break season for Gase at this point.  Not even injuries are excuses anymore because if this team continues to get hurt then I feel it's actually something about Gase and his program making it happen.  Nobody carries that kind of bad injury "luck" from place to place and season to season.

The good news for Jets fans..... it's not about Gase.  This is clearly Joe Douglas' team now, and he came here because he believes in the Quarterback.  My confidence that the Jets are on the right track is more about Douglas and Darnold than about Gase.  And, a very close third reason is Gregg Williams.  IF things somehow go completely off the rails this year then we know who is waiting in the wings to assume the Interim (and potentially permanent) HC job.

Higher than Doug Marrone....

(gets on Twitter)

MANISH SAVED US FROM DOUG MARRONE!!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I want him fired to save Darnold, it is as simple as that.

The Buccaneers "saved" Jameis Winston by firing Dirk Koetter after a few seasons and hiring Bruce Arians last year.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Buccaneers "saved" Jameis Winston by firing Dirk Koetter after a few seasons and hiring Bruce Arians last year.

Dirk Koetter and Bruce Ariaans actually have decent resumes as far as their offense and development go, unlike adam Gase who has developed zero QBs players.

Tampa had the 3rd ranked offense last year the jets were 32nd, dead last

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

c'mon.  you know better than this.  tannehill had a really good year in his first year with gase and then was injured the remaining two seasons.  even there tannehill didn't play badly, he was just injured.  as for his "breakot" year in tennessee, many qbs would look better with henry running the ball.  he didn't look so good in the conference championship game.  maybe because henry was injured?

Seems like there’s plenty of data to support this idea that when players leave Gase they perform at a higher level. Very little to show they do better with him.  

Believe me, I wish we had hired a good HC or I wish I was wrong about him - I really do. 

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Seems like there’s plenty of data to support this idea that when players leave Gase they perform at a higher level. Very little to show they do better with him.  

Believe me, I wish we had hired a good HC or I wish I was wrong about him - I really do. 

i don't think anyone can name more than 5 players who "perform better" with their new teams coaches after leaving gase.  funny how frank gore, who is probably way more respected league wide than davonte parker or jarvis landry chose to sign with the jets.  and you could say the same about bellichicken players.  very few have performed better after they left the patsies.

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, its shocking when a Tannehill doesnt play as well on a shltty team, with a shltty roster, on a bad knee?  That after missing most of his last two seasons, goes on to a SB type roster and wins some games?  Really playing no better than when he was healthy 3 years earlier?

Its bad enough that fans think there's a direct correlation but a media outlet?  

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, its shocking when a Tannehill doesnt play as well on a shltty team, with a shltty roster, on a bad knee?  That after missing most of his last two seasons, goes on to a SB type roster and wins some games?  Really playing no better than when he was healthy 3 years earlier?

Its bad enough that fans think there's a direct correlation but a media outlet?  

The amount of depth of excuses for Gase is overwhelming here.  

It’s not just the fact that his team’s lose or that his offense are the worst in the league  but it’s also clear he’s an ego maniac with zero flexibility in he system and mind-set - who regularly fights with his players...he’s a my way or the highway kinda guy that just doesn’t work well in the NFL.

I would say he might make a good college coach with that type of attitude, but he also happens to be a terrible X’s and O’s, play caller and game planning head coach too.

• Upvote 1