Someone chose the jets CUZ OF GASE? What the heck is happening?

3 hours ago, NOSIDE said:

Jets RB Frank Gore said he had an offer to join the Raiders but chose New York in part because of his good relationship with coach Adam Gase.

It always helps to follow the team

Excellent. Please see updated pro/con list for Gase below.

Pros:

- is capable of reeling in over this hill 37 year old RBs on cheap 1 year deals

Cons:

- had a terrible track record of offensive rankings and w/l record in Chi and Miami before even coming to the Jets, and then continued on with his bad self while donning the green and white

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I don’t understand the Gase hate. If you give a guy a sh*t salad and ask him to make it taste good, what is he supposed to do? I thought the way the team rallied in the 2nd half last year spoke volumes. They could’ve mailed it in, a sure sign that the players would’ve jumped ship. But instead, they fought hard for wins and went 6-2 in the second half. 

Maybe I’m a “glass half full” guy, but that did mean something. 

Darnold 7-6 with NO OL, NO running game, nothing special with regard to pass catchers....maybe that gets better?  Maybe?  He also seems to like Adam Gase.  Maybe there is a reason he does?

I think Trevor Simeon would have been 0-16 starting for the 2019 Jets...and he DID start at one time in the league.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Zero excuses for him now. He’s getting to help pick the groceries so it’s time for him to make dinner. Top 10 offense or GTFO. 

At this point I'm happy with anything better than 20th ranked offense from Gase.

I’m not some mega Gase fan, and if the Jets finish 7-9 or worse, the team would be totally justified in letting him go IMO.

But the hate that has been leveled at the guy so far is just bonkers.

Who the hell were the Jets supposed to realistically replace the guy with this offseason? Kevin Stefanski? Joe Judge? God knows Matt Rhule wasn’t going to come crawling back to the table, especially with Carolina offering to make him one of the highest paid coaches in the league. You can argue whether the Jets should’ve hired him over Gase in 2019 but that remains to be seen. And if you hired a McCarthy or Rhule instead, you’d probably be saddled with Macc right about now. Goodbye Becton and Mims and hello Kinlaw and Baun.

At least we have a dude who places a major emphasis on competition, busting your t!ts on a daily basis to reap what you sow, and has at the very least a competent offensive background at the pro level.

If the OL can simply graduate to the level of “average” and dudes like Mims and Perriman can make meaningful, sustained contributions throughout the season...then I see no reason why this team can’t compete for the AFC East crown.

Players come to play for all sorts of coaches throughout the league all the time, both good and bad (many brought in by other former Jets coaches is evidence enough of that), so that on its own doesn't really mean much.  I understand some are looking for any reason they can to be positive about when it comes to Gase, and that's totally fine if that's how you want to play it.  It's just a bit much to expect something as trivial as this to change anyone's opinions about a coach who's never actually shown to himself to be any good at, ya know... coaching.

Realistically, no one is going to be convinced to change their mind in either direction until the Jets get back on the field and actually show something.

15 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Darnold 7-6 with NO OL, NO running game, nothing special with regard to pass catchers....maybe that gets better?  Maybe?  He also seems to like Adam Gase.  Maybe there is a reason he does?

I think Trevor Simeon would have been 0-16 starting for the 2019 Jets...and he DID start at one time in the league.

These facts about Darnold often get lost in all the assumptions that he’s not progressing.