Joe Beningo discussing Jets football over the years

26 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Dude's the stereotypical complaining Jets fan in every NFL Top Ten program ever made.  It was endearing at first... but I get tired of "re runs."

Agreed and honestly I really can't listen to him anymore. He used to be funny and now he's just an uninformed old guy. Joe never seems to know anybody's name on the team or whether we drafted them or traded for them or they were a free agent. Hes an ignoramus.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

Joe is the average message board poster, just loves to whine and be miserable.  I like Joe personally, I used to.  I haven't seen him or talked to him in years but I remember talking to him in 2002 when he gave up on that season, I remember telling him it wasn't over and how banged up they were early on.  He completely quit but when they beat GB he had his jersey on and was celebrating like he wasn't a quitter.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I like Joe, his over the top Jet misery is so SOJ. He’s not really wrong though.

The jets have been such a mismanaged franchise over the years.  I came on board during the Kotite years and even before that Leon Hess, while not as dumb as Woody, he made some bone headed decisions 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The jets have been such a mismanaged franchise over the years.  I came on board during the Kotite years and even before that Leon Hess, while not as dumb as Woody, he made some bone headed decisions 

Woody is a better owner than Hess. I've been a Jets fan since 1968, Hess was a classy man but a horrible owner.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Woody is a better owner than Hess. I've been a Jets fan since 1968, Hess was a classy man but a horrible owner.

Hess didn't gouge fans, he kept prices reasonable but he was a terrible owner for on field product.  Woody gouges fans but put a much better product on the field. We never had back to back losing seasons before Woody left for England.

• Sympathy 1

Guy is a total clown.

His content hasn't catered to Jets fans in probably a decade or so. I imagine he was once a popular voice, but as he's grown older and more cynical, I can only imagine his demographic has pivoted to other teams' fans who enjoy the schadenfreude of the Jets and their fans.

I don't think he speaks for many, if any Jets fans anymore

• Thumb Down 2

I can deal with Joe. His pessimist ways get annoying but I understand the pain he's gone thru with the Jets. I do remember how confident he was when the Jets went to Pitt for the Championship Game. The optimism was incredible. Downhill ever since.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

I can deal with Joe. His pessimist ways get annoying but I understand the pain he's gone thru with the Jets. I do remember how confident he was when the Jets went to Pitt for the Championship Game. The optimism was incredible. Downhill ever since.

He's seen a SB, most of us haven't. His pain isn't as bad.

The most painful Jets fans started watching in 1970, next up would be those that started in 2011.  We've all experienced our share of pain but if you were alive and understood what you were watching in January of 1969 then your pain isn't as great as the rest of us.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

The most painful Jets fans started watching in 1970, next up would be those that started in 2011.  We've all experienced our share of pain but if you were alive and understood what you were watching in January of 1969 then your pain isn't as great as the rest of us.

Was not alive in 69. I've experienced everything from the 80's till now. Some good moments here n there but I want that great moment which would obviously be an Super Bowl Win.

18 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

Was not alive in 69. I've experienced everything from the 80's till now. Some good moments here n there but I want that great moment which would obviously be an Super Bowl Win.

I'm an 80s kid too, we've seen our share of pain and we are due for a SB.  I really think we'll see one this decade with Sam and Douglas.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

My favorite headline from Leon Hess upon hiring Kotite. "I want to win now!"

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

They need to unearth some of the classic Joe B. rants from the archives.

-Knicks/Heat 1997

-Jets losing the AFCCG in Jan 1999

-Drafting Frederic Weis with Artest on the board

-The Camby/McDyess trade

-Jets start 1-4 in 2002, getting outscored 102-13 in 3 games right before Chad replaced Vinny, Joe makes a classic rant after Herm's you play to win the game speech

-Mets collapse in 2007

-Jets collapse in 2008 with Favre/Mangini

-Jets blow it in 2015 vs. Buffalo

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Joe has made his whole career on being miserable and complaining about the Jets. It's worked for him. He's an encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to Jets history but that's about it. I find most of his takes to be wrong.

He's also a classic Monday morning QB. 

Sounds like he's been spot on for the last 5 decades.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

I have a warm spot in my heart for Joe because i have been listening to him since he was Joe from Saddle River. 

People love to make fun of him, but the longer you live and watch this franchise, the more Doug Brien games and 98 title game losses you see, the more you get where he is coming from. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

-Knicks/Heat 1997

-The Camby/McDyess trade

-Jets start 1-4 in 2002, getting outscored 102-13 in 3 games right before Chad replaced Vinny, Joe makes a classic rant after Herm's you play to win the game speech

-Mets collapse in 2007

His reactions to the Jets collapsing in 2008 are on YouTube. 

97 knicks/heat was so classic - and I still can’t talk about that series without becoming enraged.

Another classic rant was right after the 97 loss to the lions that cost the Jets the playoffs - Leon Johnson game 

edit - reaction the the jets blowing it in 2015 is also on YouTube 

• Upvote 3

On 5/6/2020 at 9:03 PM, Philc1 said:

My favorite is at around the 3 minute mark. I was listening live at 1am on a Tuesday in 2002 I laughed my @ss off

I watched the whole thing and loved it all.  I know Joe B is nuts but he is a passionate fan (too much so for his own good!) and, personally, I think these rants are hilarious. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Joe is the average message board poster, just loves to whine and be miserable.  I like Joe personally, I used to.  I haven't seen him or talked to him in years but I remember talking to him in 2002 when he gave up on that season, I remember telling him it wasn't over and how banged up they were early on.  He completely quit but when they beat GB he had his jersey on and was celebrating like he wasn't a quitter.

Did you speak to him in person?  If so you have to tell that story!

15 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

-Knicks/Heat 1997

-The Camby/McDyess trade

-Mets collapse in 2007

A lot of people hate on Joe but he’s literally right 99% of the time not just about football 

The Camby/McDyess trade set the Knicks back 10 years all by itself.  If Layden doesn’t make that trade he has the NBA defensive POY in Camby and could draft Amare Stoudemire and that’s back when big men actually mattered in the nba

And I’d put Joe’s Mets rants right up there with him melting down about the jets

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, nyjunc said:

2011?!?!?!  LOL   I am 49 and started truly rooting for the Jets in 1981.

I reject your hypothesis.  

37 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

2011?!?!?!  LOL   I am 49 and started truly rooting for the Jets in 1981.

I reject your hypothesis.  

Here's why I say that. As a fan who started in 81 you've seen the playoffs in 81, 82, 85, 96, 91, 98, 01, 02, 04, 06, 09, 10.  You've seen AFC Championship Games in 82, 98, 09, 10.  Fans that started in on 11 haven't seen anything yet.

• Upvote 2