Joe Beningo discussing Jets football over the years

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Here's why I say that. As a fan who started in 81 you've seen the playoffs in 81, 82, 85, 96, 91, 98, 01, 02, 04, 06, 09, 10.  You've seen AFC Championship Games in 82, 98, 09, 10.  Fans that started in on 11 haven't seen anything yet.

I started ‘95 I’ve seen enough 4-12 seasons including the one we are about to have

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, nyjunc said:

He's seen a SB, most of us haven't. His pain isn't as bad.

The most painful Jets fans started watching in 1970, next up would be those that started in 2011.  We've all experienced our share of pain but if you were alive and understood what you were watching in January of 1969 then your pain isn't as great as the rest of us.

The class of 1970 - that would be me. Just in time to see Namath get his knee shredded in the exhibition game against the Lions.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Sorry. No.  Even if you put aside me approaching 50 and never seeing them get to a SuperBowl.  Kids who started following the team have not experienced the excruciating losses older fans have - playoffs and otherwise. The worst loss in 10 years has been the last game in Buffalo Bowles first year.  That game doesn't even crack my Top 10 heartbreaks.  Also, these children have their whole lives to see the Jets get to the promised land.

Some of us are running out seasons.

I reject your hypothesis.

I'm not too far behind you but at least we've seen success, the 11ers haven't seen any.  They think Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good QB and have fond memories of him ?

43 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I started ‘95 I’ve seen enough 4-12 seasons including the one we are about to have

You have little to complain about because you started around the time of the greatest stretch of sustained success in Jets history.

Your first 2 seasons were bad but the next time the Jets would have back to back losing seasons was in 2016 & 2017.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

The class of 1970 - that would be me. Just in time to see Namath get his knee shredded in the exhibition game against the Lions.

Without question you've had it the worst because you just missed SB III then had to endure the 70s(as bad as they 2010s were it started with an AFC championship game).  You deserve recognition from the Jets for your loyalty ?

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Without question you've had it the worst because you just missed SB III then had to endure the 70s(as bad as they 2010s were it started with an AFC championship game).  You deserve recognition from the Jets for your loyalty ?

Or commitment ... to a facility with padded rooms. ?

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, nyjunc said:

You have little to complain about because you started around the time of the greatest stretch of sustained success in Jets history.

Your first 2 seasons were bad but the next time the Jets would have back to back losing seasons was in 2016 & 2017.

“Greatest stretch” give me a frigging break.  2 seasons with Rex, 1 with Parcells and a couple ok years with Herm other than that the Jets have been very bad to horrible including almost entirely horrible the past 10 years

And next season is gonna SUCK

On 5/8/2020 at 12:48 PM, Bungaman said:

Ouch.

I feel for you my friend. 

To miss seeing that Super Bowl by one year is something you don't deserve. 1969 was like a dream come true for me... The Jets, The Miracle Mets, and the Knicks all winning Championships. 

Silly me, I thought it would be like that forever.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

“Greatest stretch” give me a frigging break.  2 seasons with Rex, 1 with Parcells and a couple ok years with Herm other than that the Jets have been very bad to horrible including almost entirely horrible the past 10 years

And next season is gonna SUCK

1997-2016 we didn't have back to back losing seasons.

1998-2010 we made the playoffs 7 times which included 2 division titles (only AFC East titles in our history) and 3 trips to the AFC Championship Game.

Yeah you've been around for the best stretch of sustained success in team history.  Stop whining.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ouch.

I feel for you my friend. 

To miss seeing that Super Bowl by one year is something you don't deserve. 1969 was like a dream come true for me... The Jets, The Miracle Mets, and the Knicks all winning Championships. 

Silly me, I thought it would be like that forever.

The Jets, Knicks and Mets all won close to each other but the Jets were '68 champs, Mets '69 and Knicks '70.

He's 100% right about just about everything he said. The Jets are in fact one of the very worst run franchises in football. They are probably the very worst drafting collectively franchise in NFL history. On top of that is their stupidity and willingness to trade away the top players in the prime of their careers. Especially when you look at the arrogance behind such stupid decisions. They think oh sure we can trade Revis because we'll do so well with the picks that we get out of the deal. Just saying but whoever the Jets picks were for Revis it was NOT worth it. Milliner and Sheldon Richardson were both sh*thead players. I could go on and on. Bottom line is the Jets need to stop listening to nitwits on this site because it really does seem like they take advice from armchair GM's.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:04 AM, nyjunc said:

1997-2016 we didn't have back to back losing seasons.

1998-2010 we made the playoffs 7 times which included 2 division titles (only AFC East titles in our history) and 3 trips to the AFC Championship Game.

Yeah you've been around for the best stretch of sustained success in team history.  Stop whining.

How many 4-12 or worse seasons have the jets had since 1995 which you conveniently left out?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

He's 100% right about just about everything he said. The Jets are in fact one of the very worst run franchises in football. They are probably the very worst drafting collectively franchise in NFL history. On top of that is their stupidity and willingness to trade away the top players in the prime of their careers. Especially when you look at the arrogance behind such stupid decisions. They think oh sure we can trade Revis because we'll do so well with the picks that we get out of the deal. Just saying but whoever the Jets picks were for Revis it was NOT worth it. Milliner and Sheldon Richardson were both sh*thead players. I could go on and on. Bottom line is the Jets need to stop listening to nitwits on this site because it really does seem like they take advice from armchair GM's.

The jets are still poorly run.  The only hope is Sam fell in our laps and JD seems to know what he’s doing

I have zero faith in the Johnsons and Gase sucks

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How many 4-12 or worse seasons have the jets had since 1995 which you conveniently left out?

1 down year here and there is ok, in the 70s that was basically the norm, for most of the 90s it was the norm.

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That’s why Belichick couldn’t wait to run out of here after he found out Woody was going to buy the team

Woody was the excuse, he knew nothing about Woody and Woody stabilized this franchise.  If not for Brady we might have a SB but the Woody years were played in the Brady era.

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

1 down year here and there is ok, in the 70s that was basically the norm, for most of the 90s it was the norm.

Let me know when the jets appear in a playoff game again.  Last time they did was almost 10 years ago during this supposed “golden Era”

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Let me know when the jets appear in a playoff game again.  Last time they did was almost 10 years ago during this supposed “golden Era”

That era is over but you lived through it, that's why I said this that started watching in 2011 had it worse because they have never seen a playoff app.

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Y’all need to figure how to start rooting for a team at a better time. I became a fan during the 97 season. I’ve been chearing for a juggernaut compared to some of you.

Yeah.  I remember the Kotite years.  You have a very valid point.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That era is over but you lived through it, that's why I said this that started watching in 2011 had it worse because they have never seen a playoff app.

You are gloating about a couple playoff appearances.  Meanwhile every team in our division except the jets has made the playoffs the past 10 years

If Sam didn’t accidentally fall in our laps we would be worse off than the Knicks

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Meanwhile every team in our division except the jets has made the playoffs the past 10 years

Bingo. It's time for the drought to end. A full decade without the playoffs is simply unacceptable in the modern NFL. 

• Upvote 1

Here's why I say that. As a fan who started in 81 you've seen the playoffs in 81, 82, 85, 96, 91, 98, 01, 02, 04, 06, 09, 10.  You've seen AFC Championship Games in 82, 98, 09, 10.  Fans that started in on 11 haven't seen anything yet.

Very true. But as a fan since 82 you are correct we have seen playoff games/ championship games etc.... however the agony and heartbreak COME from those Fukin games that majority of all those end all games during those seasons mentioned. To say a bounce here. A bounce there. An inch here. GOD. We truly could have 3 or 4 Super Bowl trophy’s by now. That’s where the pain sets in. It’s THE WAY they lose that fuks us up
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Very true. But as a fan since 82 you are correct we have seen playoff games/ championship games etc.... however the agony and heartbreak COME from those Fukin games that majority of all those end all games during those seasons mentioned. To say a bounce here. A bounce there. An inch here. GOD. We truly could have 3 or 4 Super Bowl trophy’s by now. That’s where the pain sets in. It’s THE WAY they lose that fuks us up

As brutal as several of the playoff losses have been, those are going to come with getting to the playoffs multiple times (see the Chiefs or Chargers).

The three things that drive me nuts are:

1) The lack of consistent competitiveness (Only four back to back playoff appearances since the merger 81/82, 85/86,  2001/2002, and 2009/2010) and

2) The lack of division titles (only two since the merger - 1998 and 2002, which is simply incredible)

3) The late season collapses (1993 - starting 8-5 and missing the playoffs, 2000 - starting 6-1 and missing the playoffs, 2008 - starting 8-3 and missing the playoffs, 2011 - starting 8-5 and missing the playoffs)

We have yet to have that signature 5-10 year stretch of being true a perennial contender. The two times we were close were with Parcells (but he wasn't committed long term) and with Rex (but Sanchez wasn't good enough to sustain success with a rapidly diminishing roster)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Bingo. It's time for the drought to end. A full decade without the playoffs is simply unacceptable in the modern NFL. 

It’s despicable and it’s even more despicable that we as jets fans get lectured on this being the “golden era” when this franchise has been embarrassing itself the last 10 years and we had some horrific seasons before that

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

As brutal as several of the playoff losses have been, those are going to come with getting to the playoffs multiple times (see the Chiefs or Chargers).

The three things that drive me nuts are:

1) The lack of consistent competitiveness (Only four back to back playoff appearances since the merger 81/82, 85/86,  2001/2002, and 2009/2010) and

2) The lack of division titles (only two since the merger - 1998 and 2002, which is simply incredible)

3) The late season collapses (1993 - starting 8-5 and missing the playoffs, 2000 - starting 6-1 and missing the playoffs, 2008 - starting 8-3 and missing the playoffs, 2011 - starting 8-5 and missing the playoffs)

We have yet to have that signature 5-10 year stretch of being true a perennial contender. The two times we were close were with Parcells (but he wasn't committed long term) and with Rex (but Sanchez wasn't good enough to sustain success with a rapidly diminishing roster)

2000 and 2008 were so horrific I wish we had gone 4-12

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

2000 and 2008 were so horrific I wish we had gone 4-12

Yep. Two of the most painful seasons for me, personally. 

The 2000 collapse still kills me. We start the season with all of these magical 4th quarter wins (winning in Lambeau, coming back at home to beat NE on Monday night, the Monday night miracle, etc.), then we go into a mid-season funk, only to bounce back with three straight wins to get to 9-4. Then, we lose our last three games to miss the playoffs, including two absolutely brutal back to back SOJ losses in the last two weeks - losing at home 10-7 to the Lions with a chance to clinch a playoff berth (one of the most underrated bad losses in our history) and the infamous Christmas Eve game in Baltimore the following week. So terrible. Ruined my Christmas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

I agree but as bad as those games were it beats what we've seen since 2012.  The further you get the more painful the loss but I'd rather experience the pain than having our season end by October) November like they have most of the decade.

• Sympathy 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:05 AM, nyjunc said:

The Jets, Knicks and Mets all won close to each other but the Jets were '68 champs, Mets '69 and Knicks '70.

Those 3 teams have a wierd tradition of doing well and doing poorly at the same time.

1998-2000 - Jets make AFCG, Knicks get to the NBA Finals and Mets get to the NLCS and World Series

On 5/14/2020 at 12:40 PM, slimjasi said:

Yep. Two of the most painful seasons for me, personally. 

The 2000 collapse still kills me. We start the season with all of these magical 4th quarter wins (winning in Lambeau, coming back at home to beat NE on Monday night, the Monday night miracle, etc.), then we go into a mid-season funk, only to bounce back with three straight wins to get to 9-4. Then, we lose our last three games to miss the playoffs, including two absolutely brutal back to back SOJ losses in the last two weeks - losing at home 10-7 to the Lions with a chance to clinch a playoff berth (one of the most underrated bad losses in our history) and the infamous Christmas Eve game in Baltimore the following week. So terrible. Ruined my Christmas. 

As horrible as 2008 was the 2000 thermonuclear meltdown was worse

When the Jets were 4-0 beating really good teams it really felt like we had a shot at winning it all

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1