My Official Prediction - Jets to the playoffs (win division)

All in! This is the Jets season - the Bills are the front runners to start the season but our roster is just behind theirs and our QB is better.

The East is wide open - this should be the most fun we’ve had in terms of the division race in 20 years

• Upvote 1

An improved O line and reshuffled WR group will help Darnold elevate his game to the next level and have the Jets in the hunt all season.  The division is wide open for the first time in 20 years, so why not the Jets?  Cautiously optimistic about the 2020 season despite the tough schedule.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am always accused of making big predictions because I am generally optimistic about the team. Yet I haven't made a big statement about this team in a long time. A few years ago I predicted a good start and it happened even in a bad year. But I haven't made a big prediction in a very long time.

So I will leave you with two. I started this thread so it is easy to find. Except the haters won't be looking for it. Not after the come true. I will bump this next year to remind you all how right I was. Assuming you survive the zombie attack later this year I would like you to come back and tell me I was right. That is all. 

That glass isn’t half full, it’s over flowing....AND I LOVE IT!  12-4 baby!  Let’s go!!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am always accused of making big predictions because I am generally optimistic about the team. Yet I haven't made a big statement about this team in a long time. A few years ago I predicted a good start and it happened even in a bad year. But I haven't made a big prediction in a very long time.

So I will leave you with two. I started this thread so it is easy to find. Except the haters won't be looking for it. Not after the come true. I will bump this next year to remind you all how right I was. Assuming you survive the zombie attack later this year I would like you to come back and tell me I was right. That is all. 

giphy.gif

So looking at the schedule, Jets will likely be 4-4 going into week 9 vs. the Patriots.

They will defeat Buffalo once (splitting w/them).

They will defeat Indy.

They will defeat one of Arizona OR Denver, but not both.

They will defeat the Chargers.

They'll need to win 6 of the final 8 to make the postseason.  It's doable, but difficult.  

Seattle will defeat the Jets in Seattle.  Rams will defeat the Jets in L.A.  Jets will have to win all the others to finish 10-6 and in the postseason, including sweeping the Pats AND the Phins. 

I don't see it.  I think they split both Pats and Miami.  And they lose one of the Raiders/Browns games.

We're looking at a likely 8-8, with solid 9-7 or 10-6 potential if Sam and the O play well. 

But injuries or bad Offense again, and we could be MUCH worse.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Hael said:

I think we have a similar talent lvl to last year.. sorta a sidegrade.

couple things working for us:

Last year we had bad injury luck, and the starting QB loss straight up lost us three games that could perhaps have been competitive.There is more continuity this year, so people will be more familiar with the O and D.  NE is no longer a guaranteed two loss on our schedule.

The things working against us:  Hard schedule, big turnover on the Oline which will take some time to gel.   Miami and Buffalo made serious upgrades to their rosters.

Overall, I think we improve by one or two games but just miss the playoffs.

Seriously? I think we have a dramatically better roster than last year, We are significantly upgraded both in starters and depth on the OL.

Perriman and Mims >>>>>Anderson and Thomas (Anderson is SOOOO overrated here)

Moseley will be back

CB is upgraded and deeper'

Safety is deeper

Herndon will be back

We are deeper at RB

We are better at edge but likely with an elite rusher but certainly no worse than last year and Zuniga and Huff could surprise

We have a much better punter, likely a future pro bowler for lots of hidden yards

Everyone has another year in the system.

We are upgraded or deeper at basically every position even if our draft picks are just JAGS. Have no idea how anyone could think it is a sidegrade.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's nice to see other Jets fans give credit to a successful rebuild and the promise of a bright future.

The division is ours to take.  Sweeping the Bills is all that's necessary.  We did it last year.  And this year's team will be much better.

SAR I

No we didn't do it last year. Why do you keep saying that? I think we can this year and that's all that matters. We just need good O-line play and a healthy Mosely.

I don't see 12-4 in even the best case scenario, but I also think 10 wins could possibly be enough to take the division with the right tie-breakers. 

And I don't think 10 wins is necessarily crazy, with certain things falling into place. 

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So looking at the schedule, Jets will likely be 4-4 going into week 9 vs. the Patriots.

They will defeat Indy.

They'll need to win 6 of the final 8 to make the postseason.  It's doable, but difficult.  

Seattle will defeat the Jets in Seattle.  Rams will defeat the Jets in L.A.  Jets will have to win all the others to finish 10-6 and in the postseason, including sweeping the Pats AND the Phins. 

I don't see it.  I think they split both Pats and Miami.  And they lose one of the Raiders/Browns games.

We're looking at a likely 8-8, with solid 9-7 or 10-6 potential if Sam and the O play well. 

I think if they are playing well on their O-line they will beat Arizona and Denver. I think the Rams will be worse than you think - probably last in their division so that win is very likely. It all depends on WHEN we play everyone and how their team is doing.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They will defeat Indy.

It all depends on if the OL is as good as we think it can be which is solidly above average (huge upgrade at that) and Sam continuing to improve.

However, I think that a lot of the teams will play will not be as strong as they traditionally have been. I think the Rams can be a bottom third team, and Seattle was not as good as their record last year. Chargers will be down., Bills were not as good as their record last year and NE will just not be as strong late in games.

I suspect our schedule is much more manageable than it looks on paper. I think the Jets are much improved, and we performed pretty well last year with limited talent and incredible misfortune with injuries.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

No we didn't do it last year. Why do you keep saying that? I think we can this year and that's all that matters. We just need good O-line play and a healthy Mosely.

The point is the delta between the Bills and Jets isn't huge.  They're not the '08 Patriots.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The point is the delta between the Bills and Jets isn't huge.  They're not the '08 Patriots.

SAR I

They only beat one team last year with a winning record, the 9-7 titans and I don’t even think Tannehill was playing yet. They had the same easy schedule we did, 0-2 vs the pats. They are super over hyped. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It all depends on if the OL is as good as we think it can be which is solidly above average (huge upgrade at that) and Sam continuing to improve.

However, I think that a lot of the teams will play will not be as strong as they traditionally have been. I think the Rams can be a bottom third team, and Seattle was not as good as their record last year. Chargers will be down., Bills were not as good as their record last year and NE will just not be as strong late in games.

I suspect our schedule is much more manageable than it looks on paper. I think the Jets are much improved, and we performed pretty well last year with limited talent and incredible misfortune with injuries.

So how does that translate into wins/losses and against whom then?

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The Patriots kind of are the 08 Patriots with Cassel. That 08 Patriot team had a good defense & their D will be good this year. 08 team had Randy Moss at WR, they have no one close to that! 

13 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

They only beat one team last year with a winning record, the 9-7 titans and I don’t even think Tannehill was playing yet. They had the same easy schedule we did, 0-2 vs the pats. They are super over hyped. 

Exactly.

Today it's trendy to denigrate the Jets-  Colin Cowherd just took us from 9-7 to 7-9 because of our schedule-  but protect the Bills.  Why?  The Bills schedule is tougher (Titans and Steelers vs. Colts and Browns), we have the better QB and the better DC, it's just a trendy thing to do.  Put down the Jets, check.  Pump up the Bills, check.  Whatever.

Bottom line:  Week 1 is a playoff game.  Beat the Bills, we're taking the division.  I believe we will.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Patriots kind of are the 08 Patriots with Cassel. That 08 Patriot team had a good defense & their D will be good this year. 08 team had Randy Moss at WR, they have no one close to that! 

Thing is, we don't know what the Patriots look like with Stidham and we don't know what the Jets look like with Darnold at full strength and the OL and WR rebuild.  We don't know either team's ceiling.

The Bills, we know what they are.  We've seen their ceiling.  It's 9 wins against weaklings, it's 1 win against a winner, it's 6 losses to six winners, it's an embarrassing playoff loss.  So picking the Bills to win the division is like picking your sister to take to the prom.  Its the safe bet. 

SAR I