What if Corona hits a team hard?

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Are they going to constantly test the players? If not, much like a minor head injury, players will hide minor CV symptoms to stay in the field. Remember, these are elite athletes likely with great immune systems so the likelihood of one them getting really sick is low.

A guy like BB might intentionally infect all of his players on the first practice day to get it out of the way.

The idea of herd immunity for the players is not such a bad idea.  Give them the covid and let them quarintine for two weeks.  At most a few die but we can get our football. 

• Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

The idea of herd immunity for the players is not such a bad idea.  Give them the covid and let them quarintine for two weeks.  At most a few die but we can get our football. 

Include the NFL employees and I'm in. The herd could use some thinning. ☣️

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, edscuba said:

Wondering if the virus hit a team or two hard and they lose 20-30% of the players during the season what happens? Play on with who you have? Forfeit game or two to recover. Does league shut down. This could really get crazy. 

This is a really good point. It is very possible.

A little far out there but I wonder if teams will test players for the antibody. Insane to even think of that but lets say you are looking at a position. Do you think a player that has the antibody will be considered a safer bet to sign?

• Upvote 2

This is a tough subject since we still know so little. Just go back a month in time and compare notes..

With that said. Since I’m Swedish and we have chosen another path than complete lockdown, a month or two later I am glad we did. If you compare with Finland or New Zealand who has managed to contain the virus almost completely, they are super nervous for what’s coming the day they open up for business again.

The feeling here in Stockholm is that we are getting closer to pack/mass immunity (correct translation?). 
I think that there’s no way around this. We just have to get through it. Time will tell. Hopefully, football season will start as planned.

I don’t think they will cancel the season if a few players get the virus, like they did in the NBA, mainly because we will know much more about it by then.

Sorry for the Swedish perspective - go Jets!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

I know this virus is hitting you guys very hard up there.  The rest of the country, not so much.

Saw a stat yesterday, can't remember the exact #'s but it was in the area of, between NJ, NY, and Mass, which is about 11% of the population, has accounted for over 65% of the infections.

Most of the country at this point wants to get on with their lives.  Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Aren’t the meat packing plants in the south and Midwest getting devastated? 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is a really good point. It is very possible.

A little far out there but I wonder if teams will test players for the antibody. Insane to even think of that but lets say you are looking at a position. Do you think a player that has the antibody will be considered a safer bet to sign?

That’s borderline movie plot dystopian type shit right there boss.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Aren’t the meat packing plants in the south and Midwest getting devastated? 

I guess if your watching CNN they are.  LOL

I actually had no idea, so I just went and looked it up.  20 deaths out of 500,000 workers.  No doubt even 1 death is 1 to many, but i don't know if I would say that's devastated.

It seems  the epic center of the whole American experience is the NJ-NYC area.  If I still lived there I would be very concerned too.  So you guys do what you've got to do, and be safe.

11 hours ago, BallinPB said:

This is what I was thinking about also.  Imagine if an NFL player god forbid dies in the middle of the season from it.  How can you justify to players that they are safe to keep playing? 

Players get carried off the field paralysed and the teams pray for ten second and keep playing. I don't think one player dying from COVID will suddenly make these guys scared to play. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I guess if your watching CNN they are.  LOL

I actually had no idea, so I just went and looked it up.  20 deaths out of 500,000 workers.  No doubt even 1 death is 1 to many, but i don't know if I would say that's devastated.

It seems  the epic center of the whole American experience is the NJ-NYC area.  If I still lived there I would be very concerned too.  So you guys do what you've got to do, and be safe.

oe1CON5n.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

oe1CON5n.jpeg

LOL

That actually made me LOL.

Look, I'm not putting anyone down.  If I still lived where I used to live,  I WOULD be living in fear.

The good news  for you guys  is that in Oct. when there's a cat 4 hurricane bearing down on me, I WILL also be living in fear.  LOL

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Look, I'm not putting anyone down.  If I still lived where I used to live,  I WOULD be living in fear.

The good news  for you guys  is that in Oct. when there's a cat 4 hurricane bearing down on me, I WILL also be living in fear.  LOL

As long as Supercuts survives the Barbershop wars, this quarantine will be a win in my book.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, slats said:

One player tested positive and the entire NBA shut down. The NFL will suspend operations long before any team reaches a 20-30% infection rate. Right now, they're basically betting that the disease will run its course before the season begins. 

Faucci will take that bet. 

12 hours ago, edscuba said:

Wondering if the virus hit a team or two hard and they lose 20-30% of the players during the season what happens? Play on with who you have? Forfeit game or two to recover. Does league shut down. This could really get crazy. 

Then Adam Gase gets another year.

5 hours ago, jago said:
  6 hours ago, CM28 said:

The feeling here in Stockholm is that we are getting closer to pack/mass immunity (correct translation?).

"pack" immunity i like that!

Read a doctor somewhere was treating 4 or 5 patients who recovered....and became reinfected.  This sheet is a real (insert word).  Herd immunity?  

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Batman would not appreciate smearing his name like this.

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

You'd never know but Florida numbers are positive and the state is opening up, which is great.

12 hours ago, Team archer said:

You joking right? It is different. Mono isnt some new virus sweeping the planet earth killing hundreds of thousands of people. Neither is a damn season ending injury..The league should shut down immediately.

The only joke is that we're sitting here afraid of what happens if a team gets "hit hard" with a virus that statistically speaking has NO effect on 85% of the population, sickens most of the rest like the flu does (have to wait it out), and has a mortality rate of WAY less than 1% if you're not elderly/immune-compromised.

If the data changes, so will my mind.  But I'm amazed every day at how easy it's been to convince people this is the zombie-apocolypse we've all be waiting for, when the majority of people afraid they might get it probably already had it and didn't even know . . .

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

The NFL knows that there can be no season until there is a cure and / or vaccine, or some miracle to protect everyone from others spit and sweat. Football players (and other sport players) are exchanging saliva and sweat constantly with "droplets" flying all over the place. I would venture to guess that some of those droplets could possibly even take a ride on the wind and make their way into the stands - should they be dumb enough to allow fans in them. Unless the NFL uniform this year is some type of space suit, I see no way the NFL, or any sport operates besides maybe baseball which is non contact with the players spaced far enough apart from each other during play. In all sports, the dugouts, sidelines and locker rooms are all an issue where masks would have to be worn, however, you can't have everyone wearing masks while running around playing a sport LOL. I find masks ultra uncomfortable to just walk around in generally, let alone play high energy sports in. I feel as though I am breathing my own CO2 every time I wear one.

Sorry to be a Debbie downer, but we have to be realistic here. They are keeping office workers home for months, gyms closed for months, barber shops, bars, restaurants, and other businesses closed for months, but they are supposed to allow NFL training camps to operate freely in 90 days during this?

Just so you know, data has shown it's MUCH more difficult to get the virus outdoors because of the sun, wind, and open space.

That doesn't mean players may not give it to players, or fans to fans, but I assure you the two would not be a danger to each other . . .

10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Include the NFL employees and I'm in. The herd could use some thinning. ☣️

tenor.gif.97c8252dc3a73c8d744d6b11a23addb7.gif

They are paid millions of dollars to play a violent game that can cause life long, permenate brain damage. Don't wan't to take those risks, don't play the game. Add viruses to that list.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, RJIII said:

They are paid millions of dollars to play a violent game that can cause life long, permenate brain damage. Don't wan't to take those risks, don't play the game. Add viruses to that list.

The risk of brain damage is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY higher than the risk of dying from this virus, but somehow we've been convinced it's a death sentence . . .

8 minutes ago, RJIII said:

What about the reporters and others that don’t get paid millions that are around them and it spreads to?

1 minute ago, Vader said:

The players themselves aren’t so vulnerable 

its staff and coaches and mgmt that are older that are the risk population 

This is actually a more valid point -- there are plenty of coaches who are old/in poor health.

Can they coach from the skybox?  I honestly don't know, just throwing it out there.

I just can't imagine cancelling the season if it didn't revolve around the players, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out . . .