Could former MVP Cam Newton back up Jets Sam Darnold? No,really

NFL rumors: Could former MVP Cam Newton back up Jets’ Sam Darnold? No, really

Updated 11:07 AM; Today 10:39 AM 
Carolina Panthers v San Francisco 49ers

Former Panthers QB Cam Newton is a free agent.Getty Images

shares

The Cam Newton era ended in Carolina in March when Teddy Bridgewater was dubbed the franchise’s quarterback of foreseeable future, after signing a three-year contract with the team. As crazy as that sounds, it’s even harder to believe that Newton has yet to find a new job, despite a resume which boasts an MVP, Super Bowl appearance and three Pro Bowls. Not to mention the earning potential of one of the NFL’s brightest stars.

Yet, here we are.

However, things could change for Newton if willing to suck it up for one year, before re-entering the market next offseason, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

"The thought process all along is that Newton wants to be a starter," Rapoport said. "He does want to be a starter. A former MVP, he should be a starter. But the reality is there aren't any starting jobs available, so now maybe a little bit of a shift in philosophy here. 

“My understanding is that Cam Newton has not ruled out taking a backup job in the right situation.”

Sports reporter Alex Smith of SNY makes a strong argument for the Jets, where he would back up Sam Darnold.

The Jets have Darnold entrenched as their starter, but after that, there’s a need for quarterback depth. The team drafted James Morgan in the fourth round, and David Fales and Mike White are still on the roster, but finding a solid, veteran backup for Darnold could still be a priority for the Jets.

Newton in the New York media market, as a backup no less, could be a very interesting mix. Plus, would the Jets want to have Darnold looking over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake, knowing that a former league MVP is over on the bench?

Newton missed the majority of the 2019 season due to a foot injury sustained in the preseason. He’s been injury-prone throughout his career due to his high usage rate and knack for carrying the ball between the tackles, but his ability to galvanize a team in unquestioned. And he’s played through the majority of his injuries leading up to 2019.

Newton is arguably the greatest and most notable player in Panthers history, highlighted by his MVP award and Super Bowl appearance in 2015.

He made around $18 million in 2019, a bargain for a starting NFL quarterback with Newton’s resume. But, Newton will have to settle for even less if he hopes to play this year, with all of the NFL’s starting quarterback roles filled.

Cam Newton backing up Sam Darnold for the Jets? I’d have to actually see it to believe it.

But it does make, at least, some sense.

Todderick Hunt may be reached at thunt@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @TodderickHunt. Find NJ.com Rutgers Football on Facebook.

When healthy he's a very capable QB. Would be nice to have a viable backup behind Darnold. If Darnold can't handle the NY media being the NY media he was never going to thrive here anyway. I happen to think he'd be fine.

Darnold has yet to play a full season so we should have someone who can play behind him.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I cannot image a Newton-in-NY situation wouldn't result in QB controversy and a broken locker room.

A Darnold - Morgan - some young kid combo is fine in my book.

Darnold is a 3rd year NFL starting QB, he no longer should need a cock-holding "mentor", HE should be the leader, the mentor, for others at this point.  His youth is just an excuse now by the usual excuse-making fans.

Morgan is a prospect with upside.  He can play and lose just as well as any other backup. 

Basically, you only want a huge expensive veteran old man backup QB if:

A. you're 100% sure Darnold will not in any way falter as a #1 (i.e. no controversy), AND

B. you DO think Darnold will definitely get hurt and miss time in 2020, and that those games matter (i.e. we're in contention) and CAN be won by a veteran better than a young kid backup.  

If you don't think A or B will happen, then we don;t need a Newton or a Flacco or a Fitz or a McCown or a insert-old-man-here.

Really good post. Nailed it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hell no. 

What is the obsession with the backup QB spot?  This isn't a contending team.  We're screwed if Darnold goes down either way.  So why spend big money on a backup QB?  Put that money to better use elsewhere on the roster.  

Yes and no. 

We lost Darnold for a little while, but he returned. And in the meantime we ran out a couple of hacks who couldn’t do anything behind a bad o-line.  That was a different situation than this coming season, with an overhauled o-line. If Darnold suffered a tough luck injury, hypothetically speaking, and missed 3-4 games, a good backup QB could keep the ship afloat. Then Darnold could return to his rightful starting spot when he returns. 

This isn’t a yes or no on Newton. I’m a little conflicted on him. He’s talented and would be a great option, but the NY media is insufferable anyway you slice it. The “QB controversy” side show would be nauseating every time Sam makes a mistake, or the team loses. 

• Upvote 1

Darnold has yet to play 16 games and we've lost every game he hasn't started, so obviously backup matters.

That said I'm anti-Cam for the obvious reasons that have already been outlined -- he's an instant QB controversy, even if Darnold plays well.

Given the offeseason situation you'd think they'd just bring back Trevor Siemian.

• Upvote 3

No to Superman, OBJ, A.B., Jackrabbit, honey badger, Primetime, RGIII, or any other player the likes of their ilk. As it is I can barely tolerate the Prez!

If these guys want to dress like pimps and act like rock stars they should learn how to play guitar!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I cannot image a Newton-in-NY situation wouldn't result in QB controversy and a broken locker room.

A Darnold - Morgan - some young kid combo is fine in my book.

Darnold is a 3rd year NFL starting QB, he no longer should need a cock-holding "mentor", HE should be the leader, the mentor, for others at this point.  His youth is just an excuse now by the usual excuse-making fans.

Morgan is a prospect with upside.  He can play and lose just as well as any other backup. 

Basically, you only want a huge expensive veteran old man backup QB if:

A. you're 100% sure Darnold will not in any way falter as a #1 (i.e. no controversy), AND

B. you DO think Darnold will definitely get hurt and miss time in 2020, and that those games matter (i.e. we're in contention) and CAN be won by a veteran better than a young kid backup.  

If you don't think A or B will happen, then we don;t need a Newton or a Flacco or a Fitz or a McCown or a insert-old-man-here.

Agree on not wanting Newton, can certainly see a QB controversy there if / when Darnold struggles during the season.

However, I don't think we run into a similar controversy / predicament if a Flacco / McCown is backing up Sam. The whole team knows Darnold is the #1 for the 2020 season regardless of his play and that the old man backup is there in case of injury.

I would find it to be very detrimental to the young offensive talent (Mims, oline) if we got stuck starting Morgan / Fales for any more than 2 games next year if Sam were to go down. Would rather have an experienced Pro to help continue and progress our offensive talent. Maybe that person isn't Flacco/Mccown but it certainly isn't Fales.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I just cant believe cam is unemployed.

clearly more to the story. Hes a known ass

It's likely because teams can't evaluate his physical health at the moment.  Why take the chance at this time?

Also he's probably toast regardless.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Yes and no. 

We lost Darnold for a little while, but he returned. And in the meantime we ran out a couple of hacks who couldn’t do anything behind a bad o-line.  That was a different situation than this coming season, with an overhauled o-line. If Darnold suffered a tough luck injury, hypothetically speaking, and missed 3-4 games, a good backup QB could keep the ship afloat. Then Darnold could return to his rightful starting spot when he returns. 

This isn’t a yes or no on Newton. I’m a little conflicted on him. He’s talented and would be a great option, but the NY media is insufferable anyway you slice it. The “QB controversy” side show would be nauseating every time Sam makes a mistake, or the team loses. 

We just burned a 4th round pick on a QB.  So regardless its not going to be the same situation as last year.

Last year was just a case of very bad luck.  Darnold and Siemian getting hurt back to back doesn't happen often to a team.  We shouldn't be reactionary and spend significant coin on ANY backup QB just because  of what happened last season.

Bringing in a big name like Cam ensures we'll be carrying at least 3 QB's on the roster, which simply isn't necessary. 

33 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I just cant believe cam is unemployed.

clearly more to the story. Hes a known ass

The lisfranc fracture of his foot that he had surgically repaired is still untested. That injury has ruins careers. Santonio Holmes? He is a QB that depends on his running. Its a gamble signing him with that injury.

Oh and yes....he is an ass.

• Haha 1

Really. NO

Surprising Belicheat isnt looking into Cam.  He's the best FA QB on the market.  Yet numerous teams went in different directions. Whats up Cam?  I mean how many teams are still looking for a starting QB at this point? 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

When healthy he's a very capable QB. Would be nice to have a viable backup behind Darnold. If Darnold can't handle the NY media being the NY media he was never going to thrive here anyway. I happen to think he'd be fine.

Darnold has yet to play a full season so we should have someone who can play behind him.

Just because somebody can handle the heat doesn’t mean you should set him on fire. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Really. NO

Surprising Belicheat isnt looking into Cam.  He's the best FA QB on the market.  Yet numerous teams went in different directions. Whats up Cam?  I mean how many teams are still looking for a starting QB at this point? 

Belichick would never tolerate Cam and now he sucks

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

Play well, stay healthy, no problem. Continue playing like the 27th ranked QB in the league and maybe you do need a fire under your ass. ?‍♂️

27th ranked qb with a crappy OL and trash WRs 

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Newton would be a perfect fit backing up his doppleganger in Buffalo. 

Now THAT is a situation where this pickup makes perfect sense.  They would then very easily be able to turn around and drop Matt Barkley, who is a FA after 2020 anyways.

• Upvote 1