Could former MVP Cam Newton back up Jets Sam Darnold? No,really

If Darnold had problems dealing with competition or QB controversy then he wouldn't have committed to USC. That's not a place for a 4 star QB to go to and get handed a job nor a place with a quiet sports market. 

To reiterate that bringing competition in will be bad for his well being is flatout ridiculous. It's NYC, why are players so intune with what the outside forces and toxic media has to say?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Play well, stay healthy, no problem. Continue playing like the 27th ranked QB in the league and maybe you do need a fire under your ass. ?‍♂️

A $30M+ per year contract extension is all the fire Darnold should need.  

2 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

If Darnold had problems dealing with competition or QB controversy then he wouldn't have committed to USC. That's not a place for a 4 star QB to go to and get handed a job nor a place with a quiet sports market. 

To reiterate that bringing competition in will be bad for his well being is flatout ridiculous. It's NYC, why are players so intune with what the outside forces and toxic media has to say?

We wouldn't be signing Cam Newton as QB competition.  Newton only has at most 1-2 years left in this league.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

We wouldn't be signing Cam Newton as QB competition.  Newton only has at most 1-2 years left in this league.  

I'm just speaking in general, whether it's Cam Newton or 76 year old Joe Namath. There's some who are against bringing in anyone remotely good enough to win through the fear of controversy. 

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Play well, stay healthy, no problem. Continue playing like the 27th ranked QB in the league and maybe you do need a fire under your ass. ?‍♂️

I’m not disagreeing but I think we may be a year away from that. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I'm just speaking in general, whether it's Cam Newton or 76 year old Joe Namath. There's some who are against bringing in anyone remotely good enough to win through the fear of controversy. 

Yeah, that's a silly fear. 

When healthy he's a very capable QB. Would be nice to have a viable backup behind Darnold. If Darnold can't handle the NY media being the NY media he was never going to thrive here anyway. I happen to think he'd be fine.
Darnold has yet to play a full season so we should have someone who can play behind him.

It’s not whether or not darnold should be able to handle it. It’s what is the team doing to build and support a young player.
You don’t add potential poison to the well even if it’s supposed to be in small enough amounts that people can handle it. You just don’t do it.

I think this would be a dumb move and would be more headache than it’s worth to have a backup like cam
Newton. Ride or die with Sam darnold and get a guy like matt Moore who is a bonafide back up QB.

I want no part of this and I would be very surprised if JD does either

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I would pick cam up on the cheap. And turn it into a teddy situation. Let him go through preseason show he’s healthy. Then flip him for a pick. Someone’s  qb will go down before the trade deadline it happens every year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I like Cam, but I feel like he's almost too good to be Darnold's backup.

Darnold doesn't need someone like that looking over his shoulder.

Why not Flacco or Matt Moore.?

We're living in the age of covid-19. Having a viable backup QB is a must.

Meh. Be the best QB and you’ll have nothing to worry about. 

I don’t like this scared thinking. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Meh. Be the best QB and you’ll have nothing to worry about. 

I don’t like this scared thinking. 

It's not exactly scared thinking, we just need to have someone ready to take over if the need arises. Plan ahead and you won't get left behind.

No to Cam though.

• Upvote 1

Cam need to go to a playoff (or potential playoff) team with an established veteran QB.

The Jets are not a playoff team. You could argue they are a 'potential' playoff team but they don't really have an established veteran QB (even though I think Sam is, in the eyes of Jet brass considered a Franchise player). 

So who would I consider IN THEORY (coaching, locker room, and cap room aside)? 

Bucs? maybe Seahawks? Not many teams, TBH.   

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

NFL rumors: Could former MVP Cam Newton back up Jets’ Sam Darnold? No, really

Updated 11:07 AM; Today 10:39 AM 
Carolina Panthers v San Francisco 49ers

Former Panthers QB Cam Newton is a free agent.Getty Images

shares

The Cam Newton era ended in Carolina in March when Teddy Bridgewater was dubbed the franchise’s quarterback of foreseeable future, after signing a three-year contract with the team. As crazy as that sounds, it’s even harder to believe that Newton has yet to find a new job, despite a resume which boasts an MVP, Super Bowl appearance and three Pro Bowls. Not to mention the earning potential of one of the NFL’s brightest stars.

Yet, here we are.

However, things could change for Newton if willing to suck it up for one year, before re-entering the market next offseason, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

"The thought process all along is that Newton wants to be a starter," Rapoport said. "He does want to be a starter. A former MVP, he should be a starter. But the reality is there aren't any starting jobs available, so now maybe a little bit of a shift in philosophy here. 

“My understanding is that Cam Newton has not ruled out taking a backup job in the right situation.”

Sports reporter Alex Smith of SNY makes a strong argument for the Jets, where he would back up Sam Darnold.

The Jets have Darnold entrenched as their starter, but after that, there’s a need for quarterback depth. The team drafted James Morgan in the fourth round, and David Fales and Mike White are still on the roster, but finding a solid, veteran backup for Darnold could still be a priority for the Jets.

Newton in the New York media market, as a backup no less, could be a very interesting mix. Plus, would the Jets want to have Darnold looking over his shoulder every time he makes a mistake, knowing that a former league MVP is over on the bench?

Newton missed the majority of the 2019 season due to a foot injury sustained in the preseason. He’s been injury-prone throughout his career due to his high usage rate and knack for carrying the ball between the tackles, but his ability to galvanize a team in unquestioned. And he’s played through the majority of his injuries leading up to 2019.

Newton is arguably the greatest and most notable player in Panthers history, highlighted by his MVP award and Super Bowl appearance in 2015.

He made around $18 million in 2019, a bargain for a starting NFL quarterback with Newton’s resume. But, Newton will have to settle for even less if he hopes to play this year, with all of the NFL’s starting quarterback roles filled.

Cam Newton backing up Sam Darnold for the Jets? I’d have to actually see it to believe it.

But it does make, at least, some sense.

Todderick Hunt may be reached at thunt@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @TodderickHunt. Find NJ.com Rutgers Football on Facebook.

Cam has been awful and will want a lot of money

Pass

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We just burned a 4th round pick on a QB.  So regardless its not going to be the same situation as last year.

Last year was just a case of very bad luck.  Darnold and Siemian getting hurt back to back doesn't happen often to a team.  We shouldn't be reactionary and spend significant coin on ANY backup QB just because  of what happened last season.

Bringing in a big name like Cam ensures we'll be carrying at least 3 QB's on the roster, which simply isn't necessary. 

We got a stud. Burnt nothing. Tom brady part 2

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

We got a stud. Burnt nothing. Tom brady part 2

I didn't intend to mean that we wasted the pick.  I was just saying that that kind of draft capital spent on a QB makes it unlikely we spend big money on a veteran QB2.

2 hours ago, Rolloffjet said:

I would pick cam up on the cheap. 

He won't sign on the cheap.  My guess is he'll look to get Mariota/Foles type money ($8M+) from somebody OR wait until someone has a QB that gets hurt.  Either way, signing him on the cheap won't happen.  

• Upvote 1

Cam’s playing style is different than Darnold’s. It would make more sense for Cam to go to Pitt or a place like that.

I would rather we sign a guy like Matt Moore who we don’t have to completely change things up in the event Sam goes down with an injury. 

7 hours ago, jetsfansince7 said:

This cant happen for one reason. Our NY media. There will be three messages that will be a constant drag on the draft class, camp, and the season: 

- "Is Cam Healthy, how is Cam feeling?" "How does he feel about his role?", "Did the Panthers do right by Cam?" 

- "How does Sam feel about this", "What is their relationship? "I hear they didn't even speak today...."

- "Could there be a QB competition?", "Cam got 3 more reps today that yesterday", "Sam tweaked his ankle, could this be Cams next shot?"

I don't want any part of that circus. 

Also Cam gonna Cam, he will gun for that starting job like everyone should I just think he would go about it the Ryan sh*tzpatrick way divide and conquer, implode, leave.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:36 AM, Warfish said:

I cannot image a Newton-in-NY situation wouldn't result in QB controversy and a broken locker room.

A Darnold - Morgan - some young kid combo is fine in my book.

Darnold is a 3rd year NFL starting QB, he no longer should need a cock-holding "mentor", HE should be the leader, the mentor, for others at this point.  His youth is just an excuse now by the usual excuse-making fans.

Morgan is a prospect with upside.  He can play and lose just as well as any other backup. 

Basically, you only want a huge expensive veteran old man backup QB if:

A. you're 100% sure Darnold will not in any way falter as a #1 (i.e. no controversy), AND

B. you DO think Darnold will definitely get hurt and miss time in 2020, and that those games matter (i.e. we're in contention) and CAN be won by a veteran better than a young kid backup.  

If you don't think A or B will happen, then we don;t need a Newton or a Flacco or a Fitz or a McCown or a insert-old-man-here.

Darnold has not proven to be bulletproof by any stretch; the papers will literally a manufacture a controversy if we do it. 

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Cam still looks like he has no arm but can bail out the team running the ball. An absolutely horrible back up for a young QB. 

Feel free though to do a victory lap after a game where he didn't pass for 200 and had zero TD passes against a bad dolphin defense.

It's not about Cam...  doesn't take much to be a better option than Sam Darnold

• Upvote 1