What if we have the number 1 pick?

Philc1

What if we have the number 1 pick?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What if we have the number 1 pick?

• Draft Trevor
    • Trade Trevor to the Patriots
    • Draft another safety

If Darnold plays the whole year and they get the first pick you are certainly getting a new HC and taking the best available QB (Lawrence, Fields, random guy that shoots up the board because of one good season/arm talent, etc.).

If Darnold can't stay healthy again and they get the first pick, you'll probably see the same scenario above.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He's as good as any other of the top of the draft QBs over the last decade.  He is not a once in a generation talent that teams should be tanking the hell out of.

Who was billed as once in a generation? Luck? He quit. Lawrence is as clean as any QB I’ve seen. Can’t miss.

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Trade that pick for 3 firsts and some change. That would be franchise changing.

Darnold is going to be a great QB in this league. Screw starting over with another big fat question mark.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If the Jets have the 1st pick in the draft Darnold would be well on his way to being a bust.

15 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Each choice is more rediculous than the next. We have a QB so why would you use a first round pick on another. It isn't  like Darnold has played like Geno Smith. 

Why would we rrade Lawrence to the Pats or any team. Trading him would mean we selected him and thst is not happening. 

We are also set at S. I'm figuring this is a stupid joke but JD has dine everything in this dradt that everyone hoped for, got a franchise LT, Drafted a high profile WR, and collected more picks along the way to select an edge and CB. Picking S would mean he has turned into Mac. 

If we get the first pick and Lawrenfe is the consensus number 1 overall, you trade back for a freaking embarrassing amount of forst round selections

If where #1 overall it likely means sam played horribly . I’m taking Trevor Lawrence . 

• 4 months later...

Lawrence is a better prospect than Darnold was coming out, but we have to figure the compensation for trading out as part of the equation. For example, I'm attaching a mock draft with choosing Lawrence and one with trading out of the top spot (the trading out scenario doesn't  include the additional first rounder I picked up the following draft [giving the Jets 3 first rounders in 2022]).

Screenshot_2020-09-23 NFL Mock Draft Simulator Make Your Own Draft Picks The Draft Network(1).png

Screenshot_2020-09-23 NFL Mock Draft Simulator Make Your Own Draft Picks The Draft Network.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This ancient armchair observer sees the #1 draft pick choice determined by one of two ways of looking at it.

Way the first: who is the most outstanding player in the draft? Grab him! [Ed.: You can always trade, right?] This defers the question of improving the team's performance by at least one degree of separation, perhaps more. 

Way the second: what position on the present Jets team, considering both offensive and defensive squads [Ed.: Hey, dude! Did you forget special teams? Huh? Huh?], would make the greatest impact on the ability to win games, going forward? Another way to put it is; what's the weakest link in the present team, all positions considered?

Regards.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:00 PM, maury77 said:

The trading out scenario could, hypothetically, allow the Jets to draft 5 first year starters within the first 3 rounds.

For 2 straight years, I'm starting to warm up to it and when you put out on paper like that it's hard not to honestly.

Like I've said in other threads, I'm not afraid of another year of Darnold and say Winston.  I'm actually a big fan of Winston in the right system after spending a year behind Brees learning from Payton and who knows, maybe Fields falls to you in a scenario as well. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

For 2 straight years, I'm starting to warm up to it and when you put out on paper like that it's hard not to honestly.

Like I've said in other threads, I'm not afraid of another year of Darnold and say Winston.  I'm actually a big fan of Winston in the right system after spending a year behind Brees learning from Payton and who knows, maybe Fields falls to you in a scenario as well. 

I am not sweating it either way.  This team needs so much, if we decide to move the pick and end up with haul of draft picks for 2021 & 22 I am okay with that.  And if we are sitting at #1 and take Trevor, we still have 4 more picks in the top 100, so we can build around him, I am okay with that too.

Only thing that would relly piss me off is if we miss out on the #1 pick and put together a package of picks to move up and take Lawrence without having all the resource we need to build around him.  I don't want a repeat of what we did to Darnold.

• Upvote 2