2020 Defense

Meh. The defense played bad QBs down the stretch. They’ll probably end up top 15. Very worried about our CB situation, Austin and Hall have to be impressive from day one or it’s gonna get bad quickly. The interior DL is top notch and so is the LB depth but that doesn’t stop offenses for 4 quarters.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Meh. The defense played bad QBs down the stretch. They’ll probably end up top 15. Very worried about our CB situation, Austin and Hall have to be impressive from day one or it’s gonna get bad quickly. The interior DL is top notch and so is the LB depth but that doesn’t stop offenses for 4 quarters.

Our CBs are very tall, rangy, athletic and physical. Bless and Hall I expect to be a surprise. Plus Wilson, Desir and Davis will contribute.

• Upvote 3

I don't think either CB will get significant playing time in the beginning of the year.

The key to this defense is the health of Special Agent Mosely and Quinnen. If Mosely can return to form plus Quinnen playing to what he is capable of playing at, this defense should be solid. Anything less, this team is going to be in trouble.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

I see our defense winning a couple of games for us this season.

I expect to have a top 5 D in the NFL.

Why?

The best safeties in the league.

One of the top D lines in the league (thanks Macc)

A top LB core. Our backups (Hewitt, Burgess, Cashman,Onwanusur) could start on other Ds.

Fanastic young depth at CB ( With cohesion/familiarity/Colts/Gators)

Also an extremely talented Punter (Mann) famous for pinning teams back inside their own 5) Makes offenses more predictable.

Last but not least: Gregg Williams, one of the brightest Defensive minds in the game famous for playing the best players.  Rewarding hard workers pt, and developing young talent.

We may beat 3 teams or more with our offense scoring only 17 pts. Holding teams to under 13 pts a game.

Jets D.

1. The D-line is not that good, since nobody can rush the passer. Teams that could pass the ball destroyed the Jets last year.

2. The CBs don't have fantastic depth. CB is actually a weakness on the team. The Patriots and Ravens are the only teams with "fantastic" CB depth.

3. Gregg Williams is above average but he isn't even top a top 10 defensive coordinator. He hasn't had a top 10 defense in points allowed since 2010.

Jets can definately be a top 10 defense but top 5 is unlikely. Bad coverage and bad pass rush don't make a good combo.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

13 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Why?

A top LB core. Our backups (Hewitt, Burgess, Cashman,Onwanusur) could start on other Ds.

Also an extremely talented Punter (Mann) famous for pinning teams back inside their own 5) Makes offenses more predictable.

Last but not least: Gregg Williams, one of the brightest Defensive minds in the game famous for playing the best players.  Rewarding hard workers pt, and developing young talent.

We may beat 3 teams or more with our offense scoring only 17 pts. Holding teams to under 13 pts a game.

Jets D.

If we get Mosely back at full strength would go a long way to giving us a top 5 defense. If Mosleys groin is still an issue I don't see anything special from our defense. Solid Yes. Special No.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

Our CBs are very tall, rangy, athletic and physical. Bless and Hall I expect to be a surprise. Plus Wilson, Desir and Davis will contribute.

Being tall, rangy and athletic hasn’t helped Wilson up until now and Desir has had 2 good professional seasons sandwiched between very mediocre years. Collectively they have a shot at being a decent secondary but it’s just a shot made up of late round picks and cast-offs. I love Austin and Hall as prospects but they are just prospects. 

• Thumb Down 1

I can't say this team's defense will be better or the best!!! I would make this defense as questionable at most.

1) No pass rushing OLB to take the pressure off the dline.

2) Against a good oline the Jets dline is nothing

3) Against a good QB this defense can be picked apart

4) the secondary can't cover good WR's or TE

5) offenses make quick adjustments and attack the defense relentlessly 

Gregg Williams is one of the best defensive coordinators but he can't fix all these problems in one season. This team still has a lot of work to do and one off season won't fix it. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, TNJet said:

The best you can say about the Jets’ CBs is that Joe D has hopefully collected enough stuff to throw at the wall that something will actually stick. Fans are looking to introduce the concept of, “safety trio,” primarily because the team doesn’t have anything remotely proven at the CB spot outside of Poole. 

I feel pretty good about the defense overall, but if the offense improves anywhere close to where we all hope, the defense will at best finish in the middle of the pack. The Jets averaged 17ppg last year. The defense was never really pressured. Same smoke & mirrors Rex used when he had the #1 defense in the league here. The Jets were great against the run because teams were content to run the ball and the clock against them, confident that the Jets weren’t gonna score. If/when opposing teams have to treat the Jets like a team with an even average offense, the defense will start to feel heat it didn’t last year. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, slats said:

The best you can say about the Jets’ CBs is that Joe D has hopefully collected enough stuff to throw at the wall that something will actually stick. Fans are looking to introduce the concept of, “safety trio,” primarily because the team doesn’t have anything remotely proven at the CB spot outside of Poole. 

I feel pretty good about the defense overall, but if the offense improves anywhere close to where we all hope, the defense will at best finish in the middle of the pack. The Jets averaged 17ppg last year. The defense was never really pressured. Same smoke & mirrors Rex used when he had the #1 defense in the league here. The Jets were great against the run because teams were content to run the ball and the clock against them, confident that the Jets weren’t gonna score. If/when opposing teams have to treat the Jets like a team with an even average offense, the defense will start to feel heat it didn’t last year. 

It just shows how bad the cbs have been the last few years as to why I'm somewhat optimistic about them. Lol

1 hour ago, hamat711 said:

1. The D-line is not that good, since nobody can rush the passer. Teams that could pass the ball destroyed the Jets last year.

2. The CBs don't have fantastic depth. CB is actually a weakness on the team. The Patriots and Ravens are the only teams with "fantastic" CB depth.

3. Gregg Williams is above average but he isn't even top a top 10 defensive coordinator. He hasn't had a top 10 defense in points allowed since 2010.

Jets can definately be a top 10 defense but top 5 is unlikely. Bad coverage and bad pass rush don't make a good combo.

Jenkins is a good pass rusher, he improved each of his seasons.

Hopefully Zuniga can duplicate what he did in the best conference in college, where he finished 2nd in sacks. Kid is not another Polite, don't think that way.

Heck even Henry Anderson had 7 sacks 2 yrs ago....and yes Adams is the best DB pass rusher in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure Pat Mahomes and Russell Wilson are shaking in their boots seeing the Jets on the schedule.

Never said we'd beat those guys. Did I?

Did you expect to have only 2 losses? Lol ludacris point.

7 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Never said we'd beat those guys. Did I?

Did you expect to have only 2 losses? Lol ludacris point.

I'm saying no one is scared of this defense.  It's a slightly above average unit.  Not top 10 or top 5 like many in this thread are suggesting.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm saying no one is scared of this defense.  It's a slightly above average unit.  Not top 10 or top 5 like many in this thread are suggesting.  

So a unit is above average ok....how is an above average unit not capable of being in the top?

I see no teams with better DBs or LBs in the AFC (If Jets are healthy)

I can't think of more than 4 teams with better Dline either. 

And before anyone jerks off the Cheifs and Niners D, know that we're talking "units as a whole here" not single players like Nick or Joey Bosa ala 1 great DE.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

So a unit is above average ok....how is an above average unit not capable of being in the top?

And before anyone jerks off the Cheifs and Niners D, know that we're talking "units as a whole here" not single players like Nick or Joey Bosa ala 1 great DE.

I'm saying we top out as an above average unit.  This defense doesn't have top 10 upside.

None of our DL rush the passer so that part about the DL is BS too.  Maybe if we one day get rid of Mosley so we can switch to a 4-3 the DL might be good.  

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm saying we top out as an above average unit.  This defense doesn't have top 10 upside.

None of our DL rush the passer so that part about the DL is BS too.  Maybe if we one day get rid of Mosley so we can switch to a 4-3 the DL might be good.  

While I agree I prefer the 4-3, it helps get a pass rush on...the DL and linebackers generate more of a pass rush with an improved secondary because of the lack of wrs being open. QBs hold the ball longer therefore ending up getting sacked or tfl. Its similar to how a good offensive line opens up holes for a better run game.

I saw Foley, and Shepherd emerge last year into very good players and I'm thinking Quinnen dies the same in his second year without Leo holding him back. We gonna make some noise on D. 

Offense is where I'm skeptical. Gase sucks.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Why?

Jets D.

There are way too many question marks at starting CB and still not a reliable edge rusher. Top 15 is more like it. They need to bring Logan Ryan in and another edge rusher.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, TNJet said:

The Dolphins have Xavien Howard and Byron Jones at CB. I'd rather have that then Maye and Adams at safety any day of the week.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Jenkins is a good pass rusher, he improved each of his seasons.

Hopefully Zuniga can duplicate what he did in the best conference in college, where he finished 2nd in sacks. Kid is not another Polite, don't think that way.

Heck even Henry Anderson had 7 sacks 2 yrs ago....and yes Adams is the best DB pass rusher in the NFL. 

If Jenkins was good, he woulda got paid this offseason. He is a decent pass rusher but shouldn't be any teams primary pass rusher.

It's rare for good pass rushers to fall to the 4th round in the draft. Maybe he fell threw the cracks. Jachai Polite played on the same team as Zuniga and Polite also produced high sack numbers for Florida.

Two years ago, Henry Anderson was still a below average pass rusher. He was even worse last year.

Do you mean Adam is the best blitzing DB? That is true, but calling him a pass rusher is weird. He only had 1 sack where he beat a Lineman. Rest of them were as a free rusher or on a RB. 

Basically, the Jets generate consistent pressure with 4 rushers.

8 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

It's rare for good pass rushers to fall to the 4th round in the draft. Maybe he fell threw the cracks. Jachai Polite played on the same team as Zuniga and Polite also produced high sack numbers for Florida.

Polite fell because he's an athletic slug.  And athleticism is the # 1 prerequisite to being an effective NFL pass rusher.  

Zuniga fell because of injuries, not ability.  He has tremendous upside.  Polite had no upside.  

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, TNJet said:

The 49ers D-line last year was more than just Nick Bosa. What are you talking about?

The 2nd best player on the Chiefs D-line (Frank Clark) would still be the best D-lineman on the Jets, and the gap between Chris Jones and everybody else is massive.

The Jets DBs aren't even close to best in the AFC and their D-Line isn't even top 10.

For DBs

Do you really think the Jets have the best DBs in the AFC???? The Bills, Broncos, Ravens, Patriots, Chargers, Steelers and Titans all have better DBs.

For D-line

You aren't thinking hard enough if you can only name 4 teams. Bengals, Bills, Broncos, Browns, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, Ravens, Steelers, and Texans are all better and its not even debateable.

• Thumb Down 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Polite fell because he's an athletic slug.  And athleticism is the # 1 prerequisite to being an effective NFL pass rusher.  

Zuniga fell because of injuries, not ability.  He has tremendous upside.  Polite had no upside.  

Zuniga never had more than 7 sacks in a college football season. Polite produced significantly more when they were teammates.

It's highly unlikely he will be a significant threat on the edge early on.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Zuniga never had more than 7 sacks in a college football season. Polite produced significantly more when they were teammates.

Production means far less than athletic ability when it comes to projecting future success from an EDGE rusher.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hamat711 said:

Totally different athletic makeups between the two players. Zuniga crushed the combine and Polite was awful.  Zuniga projects as a traditional pass rusher,  Polite didn't.  Polite would have probably slipped a few more rounds had Macc not over drafted him. Comparing them as players is idiotic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, hamat711 said:

This is ridiculous. It was college, he was on the field pretty much the whole game. In the NFL he'll be brought up to speed as a DESIGNATED pass rusher on 3rd downs. He'll also be on the edge of a defense that was 2nd best against the run, with young now experienced players in Foley, Phillips, Shepard, QW & the veteran McClendon and the offenses ALSO have to worry about Adams, Mosely or Poole blitzing. 

This can be the most versatile Jets defense in a very long time. They were ravaged with injuries last year & they loaded up with young long CBs so they can match up specifically with the oppositions strengths. 

When I see a team with a great TE, like the Niners, or Chiefs, I feel a helluva lot more comfortable knowing the Jets counter with Adams, Maye & Davis! Healthy, this team has plenty of dawgs! And the Jets were a GREAT tackling team last year which is huge in today's NFL. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, hamat711 said:

What the Jets have on defense is potential.  The defensive line is actually good, but can be much better if Q takes a step forward in year 2.

I agree that the Jets will not be a top 5 defense this year.  Top 10 defense if people can stay healthy, and if Moseley and Q can do well.

Add to that if a couple of our new CB's show something, then a top 10 defense will definitely be expected from myself.  We will only elevate to a top 5 defense if we can get a legitimate consistent pass rush, which is not expected this year.

• Upvote 1