Saints release G Larry Warford

Nick Underhill ⁦‪@nick_underhill‬⁩
New Orleans has the NFL’s second-fastest offensive line with Cesar Ruiz moving into the starting group. Warford is one of the slowest guards in the NFL. 
neworleans.football/the-saints-hav…
5/8/20, 4:47 PM
Lol

#probowlslow

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RobR said:

I can't see a guy like Warford being a fit for what we are trying to do. Then throw in the fact how many guards we've already added to the roster and it doesn't seem feasible.

I think that's the biggest factor here.  JD's not going to bring in someone that doesn't mesh with the wide splits and in-out zone blocking scheme Gase wants to implement.  

JD will probably just talk with Warford's agent to see what their thinking is going forward. 

• Sympathy 3

Sounds like the Saints cut him to make room for their young guys. They are trying to get faster along the OL. Whelp so are we. I doubt we think he’s a good fit for our scheme. The right guy will get cut. Patience.

They cut him because they were $2M over the cap.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Sounds like the Saints cut him to make room for their young guys. They are trying to get faster along the OL. Whelp so are we. I doubt we think he’s a good fit for our scheme. The right guy will get cut. Patience.

I think we're already set at guard going into the season with what JD has done so far. We already have a ton of bodies at the position.

5 hours ago, RobR said:

This will completely fall on deaf ears here even with most knowing we are committed to a ZBS. Great player.....terrible fit for us.

Goes back to my utter love of getting players to fit the 'Adam Gase' system.

Oh this guy is a great player pro bowler, but not good for us.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Ever ask yourself why the Saints are dumping a Pro-Bowl Guard?

Its not just cap either.

They used a first round pick on his replacement and they didn't have enough money to sign their draft picks without making the move.  So it's a combination of both things. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

They used a first round pick on his replacement and they didn't have enough money to sign their draft picks without making the move.  So it's a combination of both things. 

So perhaps his skills don’t match the out lay. We know all about that. I remember we signed a Pro-Bowl Guard last year, that didn’t go to well. This isn’t a Mike Maccagnan team any more. He’s not coming here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

So perhaps his skills don’t match the out lay. We know all about that. I remember we signed a Pro-Bowl Guard last year, that didn’t go to well. This isn’t a Mike Maccagnan team any more. He’s not coming here.

Osemele had fell off 2 years before he got here. He blame it on being hurt .  Obviously we saw different in his play and then right before he got benched he used the injury reason with us as well. I guess teams are not buying that cause he is still a FA.. 

warford is in his prime playing his best football. He may not come here cause he will have plenty options . But I don’t view the situations the same .

• Upvote 2

This is such a no brainer. He's a f*cking pro bowl guard, how far can a guard run anyway? Winters sucks compared to this guy, I'm so sick of our Oline being pushed into the backfield. He's another bad azz with mean disposition, you can never have enough of these guys! Stick him next Big Ticket & let these guys maul some people! 29? He easily has 3 more good years in him. I want this division badly & I want to see our QB protected. I'm someone who wants to give Gase a chance but this PERFECT OLINE for his offensive scheme tells me he has zero flexibility & that bugs the sh*t out of me. If he fails we have to find an offensive coach BECAUSE of our Oline scheme? Ridiculous. 

this is why gase is such a terrible coach - "he doesn't fit his system".

good coaches adapt a system to their players.  if Julio Jones would somehow become available, would he not be considered here if he doesn't "fit the system"?  i'm tired of that excuse.

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Goes back to my utter love of getting players to fit the 'Adam Gase' system.

Oh this guy is a great player pro bowler, but not good for us.

Agreed...if for no other reason than to eliminate any excuses about Gase not being able to win because he didnt have "his guys" or the right guys to run his system. Let's give him the guys he thinks he needs and then sit back and wait...if he really is a good coach than it will show once and for all.

If not then well...we will know once and for all, no excuses. 

14 hours ago, RobR said:

This will completely fall on deaf ears here even with most knowing we are committed to a ZBS. Great player.....terrible fit for us.

Agreed.  Warford is a phone booth mauler, not exactly the fit for what this o-line is shaping up to be.