jetspenguin

Saints release G Larry Warford

Every shrewd GM has an eye on 2021 and the cap reduction due to C19. Douglas is one of these, he’s not signing another Guard. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Saints only had a little over $2 mil in cap space so had to do it.  Now cut Winters and go get him.

Yep.  Not to mention it appears that their 1st round pick, Cesar Ruiz, was projected to be the starting RG anyways, with Erik McCoy (who started all 16 games at C for them last year) handling Center duties this season.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We'd just be replacing Winters' salary with Warford's, approximately.  I don't see a downside to that from a financial perspective.  Especially if we were to sign Warford to just a 1 or 2-year deal.

I get it but, the Jets aren’t signing a 29 year old Guard, to a multi year contract.

• Upvote 2

Sign this beast 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

This might make Winters a goner

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

Get him and dump winters after you do!

• Upvote 1

I'm sure JD will at least do his due diligence and talk with Warford's agent and gauge their thinking moving forward.  The money isn't a issue.  JD can wash that out by cutting Winters. 

• Like 2

Realistically I don't see this happening. While I really want it to, the Jets aren't going to be motivated to "overpay" to assure they land him and I would expect he'll favor a contender/more desirable states (for cost of living, taxes, and weather) if he has the chance to. 

Baltimore seems like a logical fit given that Yanda retired, as do the 49ers (Tom Compton currently their top RG). 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I can't see a guy like Warford being a fit for what we are trying to do. Then throw in the fact how many guards we've already added to the roster and it doesn't seem feasible.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RobR said:

I can't see a guy like Warford being a fit for what we are trying to do. Then throw in the fact how many guards we've already added to the roster and it doesn't seem feasible.

Why doesn’t he fit? Is being good not a good fit?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If they won't keep Warford for $7M how on earth do we keep Winters for $8M?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1

If it’s Winters vs Warford then Warford all day. 

but if Van Roten, Clark and Lewis look good then it will probably be neither of them meaning I think 60/40 we cut Winters and keep the existing roster guys netting 7 mill in savings. Until JD gets out of bad Mac contracts the cap is a little tight.  Plus we have like 20 one year contracts that will have to get figured out next off season. 

Warford is prob looking for a multi year deal, makes next off season harder especially if we have 3 guards we already have signed and feel ok about

• Upvote 1

I think they have already replaced Winters with Clarke pick and  Von Roten and Lewis signings.  Why replace him with someone exact same age, cost and only modest increase in skill level? Spend the 7 million somewhere else.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

How much does he want to be paid?  The sole question is how muchee?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Absolutely should look into it.  Not sure if he fits the system or is versatile enough for JD's liking, but he only allowed 2 sacks and committed just 6 penalties in 15 starts last year.  And he'll only be turning 29 in June.

Nick Underhill ⁦‪@nick_underhill‬⁩

New Orleans has the NFL’s second-fastest offensive line with Cesar Ruiz moving into the starting group. Warford is one of the slowest guards in the NFL. 
neworleans.football/the-saints-hav…

5/8/20, 4:47 PM

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

I get it but, the Jets aren’t signing a 29 year old Guard, to a multi year contract.

Yeah, who cares of hes been a pro bowler the last 3 years.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1