How good is Tua Tagovaiola?

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of him as a prospect.

He had an elite line, elite running backs, and quite possibly the greatest set of college receivers to throw to. Realistically, he had 4 first round guys at receiver, a second Rd TE, a first round RB and then a RB in Harris that probably would have been a 2nd/3rd guy. Throw in an elite defense that allowed him to play with a lead, and I'm not as impressed with his stats.

If you look at LSU twice, GA in '19, and Clemson, it's not amazing. He seems like a good prospect against good defenses, but nothing in the tank for Tua realm, especially considering the weapons. I'm not sure I can think of another QB that had this loaded of a roster around him.

To me, he's a mobile Matt Lienert. Both were absolutely great in college on loaded teams, and had injury concerns. Neither had great arms, but were accurate. Tua is, by far, more mobile so he's better. However, I'm not seeing that great prospect talent but more of a game manager.

I would take Alabama's receiving core over every NFL core except Tampa. That's how loaded they were.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, win4ever said:

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of him as a prospect.

He had an elite line, elite running backs, and quite possibly the greatest set of college receivers to throw to. Realistically, he had 4 first round guys at receiver, a second Rd TE, a first round RB and then a RB in Harris that probably would have been a 2nd/3rd guy. Throw in an elite defense that allowed him to play with a lead, and I'm not as impressed with his stats.

If you look at LSU twice, GA in '19, and Clemson, it's not amazing. He seems like a good prospect against good defenses, but nothing in the tank for Tua realm, especially considering the weapons. I'm not sure I can think of another QB that had this loaded of a roster around him.

To me, he's a mobile Matt Lienert. Both were absolutely great in college on loaded teams, and had injury concerns. Neither had great arms, but were accurate. Tua is, by far, more mobile so he's better. However, I'm not seeing that great prospect talent but more of a game manager.

I would take Alabama's receiving core over every NFL core except Tampa. That's how loaded they were.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Joe Burrow

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

LOL yeah. you're right. I meant to leave that in the Monday Night Football thread, obviously, but I got sidetracked reading all my fan mail here.... 

BTW I was going to quote you earlier this morning. I know you don't care for me, and a lot of my posts, and that's okay. I'm giving you the courtesy of a reply though because unlike the others who chimed in, I find a lot of the stuff you post interesting, and or funny. I enjoy that, even the sarcasm.

It doesn't matter to me if you like me or not. I'm not here to make friends (even though there are quite a few people here I feel that way about.)

It's all about making me want to read what you have to say.

I can't respond to this with sarcasm or anger so I don't know what to do now

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Quite the wordsmith, aren't you?

MODS isn't there a rule on Jet Nation about personal attacks?

I apologize. A couple if bloody Mary's....

But really, you're not a Jet fan. It's ok. Go Find your hapiness on a browns site. Please. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, predator_05 said:

Is he the type of QB that will annoy us for the next decade (like Brady) or is he nothing more than a solid competitor? I don't watch college football, but his stats are pretty damn impressive. Trying to get an idea of his talent level.

I know there's concern over the injuries, but we heard something similar with Drew brees and he turned out OK. Physical conditioning is one of the few traits that can be improved with time and coaching.

Now that he's in our division for the long-term, how worried should we be about Tua?

The answer you're looking for is to the question, "how good was he"? 

Answer: He was really good! Very injury prone now and the type injuries he suffered he will never be the same. He's not going to suck but at best he will be an average to slightly above avg in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

no...its not...he's always had issues with turnovers. It was his biggest knock coming into the league. Where have you been?

I posted the numbers. 31 TD’s and 9 INT’s is fantastic. And the following season he had a 2:1 ratio of 26 and 13. If you think that’s turnover prone, I’ve got some stats for you on some very good QB’s who’ve turned it over more. 

The fumbles are a non-issue thus far. It was a knock on him at USC, and hasn’t happened with the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Quite the wordsmith, aren't you?

MODS isn't there a rule on Jet Nation about personal attacks?

Lol

Saying Fitzpatrick is the best QB in the division is like saying you’re the best poster in this thread...silly wabbit.

2 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I posted the numbers. 31 TD’s and 9 INT’s is fantastic. And the following season he had a 2:1 ratio of 26 and 13. If you think that’s turnover prone, I’ve got some stats for you on some very good QB’s who’ve turned it over more. 

The fumbles are a non-issue thus far. It was a knock on him at USC, and hasn’t happened with the Jets. 

Jameis Winston was a turnover machine last season (30 ints, 4.8% interception percentage). Mark Sanchez was a turnover machine in 2009 (20 ints, 5.5% interception percentage). Vinny Testeverde was a turnover machine in 2000 (25 ints, 4.2% interception percentage). 

Last year, Darnold was was tied for 8th in the league in interceptions (13) and had an interception percentage of 2.9%. Also, 7 of his 13 picks came in two games.  

The turnover issue is grossly overblown. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Jameis Winston was a turnover machine last season (30 ints, 4.8% interception percentage). Mark Sanchez was a turnover machine in 2009 (20 ints, 5.5% interception percentage). Vinny Testeverde was a turnover machine in 2000 (25 ints, 4.2% interception percentage). 

Last year, Darnold was was tied for 8th in the league in interceptions (13) and had an interception percentage of 2.9%. Also, 7 of his 13 picks came in two games.  

The turnover issue is grossly overblown. 

Darnold is the least of my concerns with this team. He’s progressing just fine in my book. Yes, there’s always things a young QB can tighten up, but he generally checks all the boxes you want in a QB. Including being a great kid. 

When I look around the AFC East at the QB situations, I’d rather be us than anyone else. People can call it “green colored glasses” or whatever else, but I’d rather have Darnold than Fitz, Tua, Allen or whatever the hell the Patriots are throwing out there. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Well I was thinking just receivers. But yeah, so did Tua.

Add in a 2nd rd TE for Tua as well.

I agree that Tua isn't a sure fire prospect like people tend to think. Personally not a big fan of any of the QBS this draft. Burros played great for 1 year. Herbert seems soft to me. Tua is brittle. 

3 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

I agree that Tua isn't a sure fire prospect like people tend to think. Personally not a big fan of any of the QBS this draft. Burros played great for 1 year. Herbert seems soft to me. Tua is brittle. 

I'm honestly not sure I can remember a QB that had this star studded of a lineup around them.  The famous one is Leinart, and he had 2 second round guys (Jarret/Smith) with Bush.  

Tajh Boyd had one year where he had Watkins/Hopkins but the other guys weren't first round guys, in Bryant/Humpries........and Charone Peake.  

Even Mayfield had Lamb/Brown, and Andrews in the 3rd round.  

I can't imagine having 4 first round guys with a second round TE.  With their OL and running talent, I'm not sure how well those stats really translate to the NFL.  I'm not saying he's going to be a bust, but his numbers are hard for me to take serious.  His injury concerns are real, but I think he's definitely overrated as a savior.  I think a good amount of QBs could have put some ridiculous stats in that situation.  Alabama is loaded all around, but usually it's not this unfair at WR.  I was listening to Chris Simms podcast (yes, I know, I have bad taste) and he had Jefferson over Juedy and he mentioned that at times, Juedy was option No. 4 on a play.  

On 5/9/2020 at 11:29 AM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Put down your green koolaid as Tua Tagovaiola has a chance to be better then both. Things can spin either way but I would definitely choose him over Murray. Until proven otherwise, he's definitely a guy we should worry about. Two young duel threat QBs in the division is the reason why we should transition into becoming much lighter and explosive on the Edge defensively as he and Allen was cause problems for us improvising.

yeah he's a guy the jets should worry about until they don't.  the guy has had some pretty serious injuries.  it's going to be tough for him to stay on the field especially if the doltfins think he's going to be their jackson.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:24 AM, predator_05 said:

Because projecting is fun

Fair enough.

The I project he won't play in 2020, at least not till late if at all.  He'll sit most of the season and Fitz (or less likely, the bust) will play QB.

We won't get a legit evaluation of Tua till at least training camp of 2021.

And when he does play, he won't be very good.  Sub-Darnold production.

That's what I see.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yeah he's a guy the jets should worry about until they don't.  the guy has had some pretty serious injuries.  it's going to be tough for him to stay on the field especially if the doltfins think he's going to be their jackson.

I wouldn't even want Jackson long term. I think he's a flash in the pan with a year of game tape on him now. Good luck counting on his arm. Tua is a clean pocket passer, but he needs a clean pocket. He's not getting a better one in Miami than he got at Alabama. That on top of the fact he's a China doll waiting to get broken 

On 5/10/2020 at 8:50 PM, jetspenguin said:

no...its not...he's always had issues with turnovers. It was his biggest knock coming into the league. Where have you been?

That was the knock on him in college. He realized it was a weakness and in his rookie season he worked on keeping both hands on the ball while scrambling and it's no longer an issue.

That's one of Sam's biggest assets - he acknowledges his correctable weaknesses (a QB can't fix accuracy issues - see Josh Allen) and works to correct them while also working on improving his strengths.

I think Tua is an injury away from being out of the league.  I think Burrows will turn out to be a journeyman QB.  I also think that Herbert will end up being the best QB from the 2020 draft by a wide margin.  He's got a good QB coach for the first time in his life and a coach who knows how to run a good offense that can emphasize a versatile run game.  And he also has a good corps of receivers for the fist time in his life.  Herbert is going to take that PFF evaluation and shove it up their asses.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I think Tua is an injury away from being out of the league.  I think Burrows will turn out to be a journeyman QB.  I also think that Herbert will end up being the best QB from the 2020 draft by a wide margin.  He's got a good QB coach for the first time in his life and a coach who knows how to run a good offense that can emphasize a versatile run game.  And he also has a good corps of receivers for the fist time in his life.  Herbert is going to take that PFF evaluation and shove it up their asses.

Herbert just seems soft to me 

31 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

Herbert just seems soft to me 

I think he has unknown quality as a Pro QB.  But I don't think it's because he lacks anything.  He's just been stunted by bad timing in a program that was going through major turnover.  Usually Oregon QBs have good skill players and so so, "bend biut don't break" defenses behind them.  Herbert was the absolute opposite. I think he'll be one of those rare cases where his big game ability will be harnessed at the pro level rather than the college coaching (which kind of stunted it.)  If Tyrod Taylor wasn't the appointed starter, he def wouldn't have the buffer he needs.  Say if he inherited Sam's situatiob... I don't think he'd be as adaptable.  (Esp without many practice reps due to this weird offseason.)  But it's obvious they are going to sit him fir a while.  And brought in Luck's old QB coach to make a transition.  That's huge.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, NYJ1 said:

I really don't know but I don't blame the Dolphins for taking him. That's for sure.

I don’t blame the dolphins for drafting him.  They needed a face of the franchise 

That said, he’s already got quite the injury rap sheet and he hasn’t even played a nfl game yet

11 hours ago, shawn306 said:

If he stays healthy (which he hasn't done) he could be the best in division. 

I just have a hard time seeing him staying healthy especially the hip.

The hip is such a bad injury for a quarterback too.  When you throw a football all your power comes from your core and your legs and the hip channels all that energy