MLS is setting the standard?

MLS players have started returning to team facilities for “individual” workouts. Phase 1) Only essential staff are allowed in the facilities, Outdoor fields only,  and only 4 players on the field at a time, Phase two) small groups of players can practice together, and Phase 3) entire team is back practicing together.  And of course everything will be sterilized between sessions, and players will be tested regularly and temps taken daily.  I feel like this gives us a glimpse into how we may come back.  I know the sports are different, and football requires more players to practice together at a time, but we can learn from MLS.  NFL players, HOPEFULLY, are already working out solo.  And teams will start virtual training....our Phase 1.  Phase two) Players in Specific positional groups can practice together, but all groups will be isolated from one another.  Phase 3) Both the offense and defense can practice together as units, separately, and then finally get the entire team together in practice and meetings. I am aware that there are MANY details I am not aware of, but I think 32 billionaires can work out the details. TBH I had no idea how we might approach coming back for training camp and practice, but this gives me hope.  But I am also getting cabin fever and I am desperate for football, so any and every idea/plan sounds good to me.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

The NBA season will be cancelled.  The ‘20-‘21 is also in jeopardy 

NFL season will be played but at empty stadiums possibly in the southwest and Florida - unless a vaccine is made available by November which is what the owners are hoping for

MLB - will start in July playing in empty stadiums

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I have to tell you, I watched UFC last night and watching them fighting in an empty arena did not bother me at all. I think I’d be perfectly fine watching football in an empty stadium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do think there's a difference between neutral site individual sports and home/away team sports. Like, when it's third and long late in the game down by a score and there's zero crowd noise -- it'll be weird.

That said, I have yet to meet a football fan who wouldn't take crowdless football over no football. Just a reality we need to prepare for.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lil O said:

MLS players have started returning to team facilities for “individual” workouts. Phase 1) Only essential staff are allowed in the facilities, Outdoor fields only,  and only 4 players on the field at a time, Phase two) small groups of players can practice together, and Phase 3) entire team is back practicing together.  And of course everything will be sterilized between sessions, and players will be tested regularly and temps taken daily.  I feel like this gives us a glimpse into how we may come back.  I know the sports are different, and football requires more players to practice together at a time, but we can learn from MLS.  NFL players, HOPEFULLY, are already working out solo.  And teams will start virtual training....our Phase 1.  Phase two) Players in Specific positional groups can practice together, but all groups will be isolated from one another.  Phase 3) Both the offense and defense can practice together as units, separately, and then finally get the entire team together in practice and meetings. I am aware that there are MANY details I am not aware of, but I think 32 billionaires can work out the details. TBH I had no idea how we might approach coming back for training camp and practice, but this gives me hope.  But I am also getting cabin fever and I am desperate for football, so any and every idea/plan sounds good to me.

German soccer has already resumed normal practices. I believe their league re-starts at the end of May.

Not relevant to America, as every country is different. But it does set a precedent, of some sort. At the very least, it provides hope.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I do think there's a difference between neutral site individual sports and home/away team sports. Like, when it's third and long late in the game down by a score and there's zero crowd noise -- it'll be weird.

That said, I have yet to meet a football fan who wouldn't take crowdless football over no football. Just a reality we need to prepare for.

Yeah you can’t compare those two. Players also feed off crowd noise, interact with the crowd while on the field after big plays, etc. 

Have to imagine empty stadiums will be pretty weird for the players (well maybe not Miami players). Hopefully they can reach a middle ground where stadiums are say 1/4 full. You can still enforce social distancing measures with a partial fan presence.

Have to imagine empty stadiums will be pretty weird for the players (well maybe not Miami players). Hopefully they can reach a middle ground where stadiums are say 1/4 full. You can still enforce social distancing measures with a partial fan presence.

I’ve thought about that. I wonder how that affects season ticket holders (like myself) I’d also imagine that the prices for tickets might sky rocket (or might be dirt cheap because no one wants to go).

Yeah you can’t compare those two. Players also feed off crowd noise, interact with the crowd while on the field after big plays, etc. 

That definitely affects the players, but how it affects the fans might be a different story. I’m not trying to impose my views on anyone else, I just think that personally, I’d be OK with it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I have to tell you, I watched UFC last night and watching them fighting in an empty arena did not bother me at all. I think I’d be perfectly fine watching football in an empty stadium

When you  have no choice, you learn to adapt. 

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

German soccer has already resumed normal practices. I believe their league re-starts at the end of May.

Not relevant to America, as every country is different. But it does set a precedent, of some sort. At the very least, it provides hope.

Bundesliga starts next week.

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Ehh, I dunno. With UFC, it seemed fine, but they better put some artificial fan noise or something on NFL broadcasts.

37 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

Arena football is trying to come back June 13th

NAL or CIF? I thought that the IFL is already cancelled for the year. AFL is, of course DOA.

NAL has too many northeast teams (incl. NJ and MA)  

CIF states (OK, TX, IA, NE, KS) may be a better bet. Unfortunately that is like semi-pro at best (the teams don't even practice)

Problem is that both leagues along with the entire sport is in trouble to begin with and depend fully on tickets and concessions.

5 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Ehh, I dunno. With UFC, it seemed fine, but they better put some artificial fan noise or something on NFL broadcasts.

I actually think that will happen.  I totally agree.  Like every television show that was shot without a live studio audience. The 60s-80s were full of them.  Whoever is in charge of directing would be like a Conductor directing an improvisational symphony.  It will take a certain level of skill to make it seem real or authentic.

16 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I actually think that will happen.  I totally agree.  Like every television show that was shot without a live studio audience. The 60s-80s were full of them.  Whoever is in charge of directing would be like a Conductor directing an improvisational symphony.  It will take a certain level of skill to make it seem real or authentic.

See: Flavius and Achilles vs. Spock and McCoy in the ST episode "Bread and Circuses" 

actually would not take much

Load 3 or 4 loops into a sampler and a mixer. Basic crowd under-noise, crowd roar, boos and some random vendor calls/fan shouts/stadium inserts that normally run over the PA. Run them continuously, keep one hand each on the sliders for the roar and boos. When elevated, either will drown out the ambient noise. Easy peasy. Would be kinda fun to do. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

See: Flavius and Achilles vs. Spock and McCoy in the ST episode "Bread and Circuses" 

OMG...hahaha...perfect...EXACTLY!  “And the Emmy for best Crowd reaction goes to....”

49 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

NAL or CIF? I thought that the IFL is already cancelled for the year. AFL is, of course DOA.

NAL has too many northeast teams (incl. NJ and MA)  

CIF states (OK, TX, IA, NE, KS) may be a better bet. Unfortunately that is like semi-pro at best (the teams don't even practice)

Problem is that both leagues along with the entire sport is in trouble to begin with and depend fully on tickets and concessions.

Wow someone who respects arena football. 
 It’s the NAL who is division 1 for arena football right now 

9 hours ago, Philc1 said:

NFL season will be played but at empty stadiums possibly in the southwest and Florida - unless a vaccine is made available by November which is what the owners are hoping for

Gang green MOPP 4 on sale. Problem solved.   

image.png.4746d8627532fd4e0b59483cf040ae25.png

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I disagree I think the NFL has fans in seats just a lot less of them. Also even if there is a vaccine not everyone will get it. 

27 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

HA !  Trenton is a long way from Westchester County :)

… but at least they have a real arena. Looks nice. 

looks like a team in Metuchen from the Mid-Atlantic league took their place in the AAF

If the New York streets played at Nassau coliseum it would have been successful 

3 hours ago, Lil O said:

Honestly, not sure why it went away. Yeah, there are some great sitcoms without laugh tracks, but many would definitely benefit from them. Community? Definitely don't use any. Monty Python? Wouldn't be the same without them (well, they used a live studio audience, but the point still stands).

• Upvote 1

I read recently that the CFL is not only talking about cancelling their season entirely, but that the league may just collapse as a result. They’re hoping the Canadian government gives them a bailout. 

4 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

But , soccer is not really a sport .

Lol, definitely. Because globally soccer dwarfs all other sports by any metric such as fan viewership and economics. Even here America is waking up to the beautiful game, as it’s essentially surpassed the NHL in popularity and still growing rapidly. 

23 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Honestly, not sure why it went away. Yeah, there are some great sitcoms without laugh tracks, but many would definitely benefit from them. Community? Definitely don't use any. Monty Python? Wouldn't be the same without them (well, they used a live studio audience, but the point still stands).

The late 90s overdid laugh tracks in bad sitcoms and it became a badge of hokiness. The more artistic comedies became better looking productions while the traditional 4 camera sitcoms used laugh tracks. Community became the gold standard of single camera production while Big Bang Theory became the beacon of American mediocrity by being the most popular show on television. It's interesting that while Big Bang Theory's popularity beat Community into cult status Community has the bigger cultural impact and more sitcoms look like Community rather than Big Bang Theory now. The 4 camera setup has to be re-tooled or America has to go hard into 80s, conservative nostalgia before it can become really popular again. 

That has been my rant on the state of television comedy.

1 hour ago, jetsrule128 said:

If the New York streets played at Nassau coliseum it would have been successful 

Not with that management

Not a smidge of promotion or advertisement. Couldn't even keep a proper website.

It also didn't help that an employee was robbing opposing lockerooms, 

Now if the AFL survived, The Coliseum would have been perfect for the NYC area indoor game, if (IF) they had deep pockets to build it up and had an SNY type contract. Then win some games and you have something. Could have saved the sport.