Warford wants around 7 mil per

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, but those other teams actually have good players to build around.

We keep signing everyone else’s back-ups.  Scheme or no scheme you still need good players to win.  

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We seem to like back-ups on our O-line. 

Teams don't tend to let go of starters.

Warford, for instance, was cut because he'd have been a backup to Ruiz this year.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Teams don't tend to let go of starters.

Warford, for instance, was cut because he'd have been a backup to Ruiz this year.

Stop.  There were plenty of starting caliber O-linemen available.  In fact there still are a couple available.

With the state of our O-line we signed one of them.  Otherwise we've built the rest of the line with back-ups and a draft pick at 11 overall that was a very average college pass blocker.  

Anyone expecting this O-line to be good this year is mistaken.  Overall talent from last year's online wasn't any better.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop.  There were plenty of starting caliber O-linemen available.  In fact there still are a couple available.

With the state of our O-line we signed one of them.  Otherwise we've built the rest of the line with back-ups and a draft pick at 11 overall that was a very average college pass blocker.  

Anyone expecting this O-line to be good this year is mistaken.  Overall talent from last year's online wasn't any better.

lol.  And who would that be?

And you're moving the goal posts here.  Now you're saying starting CALIBER.  Who's to say Connor McGovern isn't starting caliber?  Or Van Roten?

Just because we didn't sign that no-knees, mediocre pass blocking RT from Tennessee or Graham Glasgow you've been on an anti-JD bend all offseason long.  The OL we signed were fine, and we added Becton and Cameron Clarke, plus brought back Alex Lewis.  The OL is going to be just fine.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And you're moving the goal posts here.  Now you're saying starting CALIBER.  Who's to say Connor McGovern isn't starting caliber?  Or Van Roten?

Just because we didn't sign that no-knees, mediocre pass blocking RT from Tennessee or Graham Glasgow you've been on an anti-JD bend all offseason long.  The OL we signed were fine, and we added Becton and Cameron Clarke, plus brought back Alex Lewis.  The OL is going to be just fine.  

I feel pretty good about both of those guys from what I saw. Out of guard/center, I think Lewis is the weakest link especially when you add in penalties (or god forbid, Winters) but I am really hoping Clarke can work his way into the lineup some point in the year. 

There should be good competition at tackle this year too.

• Upvote 1

On 5/11/2020 at 4:07 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

Can you explain to me why it matters how fast an offensive lineman can run 40 yards in a straight line?

Exactly,  remind me again when Winters was a Pro Bowler? 

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Peters and Warford are both available and both are substantial upgrades over what we have. 

The Jets need at least legitimate, proven, veteran OL. Right now they only have potential and gambles. Warford gives us that veteran presence and he's still young - only 28. This should be a no brainer for JD.

10 hours ago, AFerg726 said:

Warford would represent the best free agent lineman acquired this offseason. He is in his prime at a position of need. Cut Winters, upgrade with Warford. There is no reason to not do this.

Imagine what these young Olineman can learn from Warford & Peters? 

• Upvote 1

First of all, Watford has earned the right to ask for 7 million while he's still getting paid by the Saints. For a player that's called striking while the iron is hot. Economics 101. I'd think less of him if he weren't looking for money on a second contract. 

With that said, 7 million per is chump change for a player of Warfords caliber. It's cheap money. 

THird of all, Brian Winters has been a liability for this team for a long time now. Winters got an early start back in 2013. As you recall, he was forced into the starting role because Vladimir Ducasse had to be benched. Ducasse was so bad he was killing the offense. Winters was Rex's only option because the team had so little talent. Winters performed admirably but he's also never been challenged. The Jets have been accepting Winter's very below average performances because the team just didn't have any better options. The Jets can cut him right now and save 6.5 million under the cap. 

That coincidentally gives the Jets the money they need to put Watford under contract. For me all this is is trading in one model at RG for a much better model RG for the same money. It's a no brainer.

• Upvote 2