NFL QB All-Time Hierarchy List (Thoughts?)

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Greatest Jets Qb's ever.  Namath. Uh let me get back to you on this.

Ah, but you can't have it both ways.

If you play the "but his stats" card, Sanchez compares quite favorably, Namath's recklessness is worse than Mark's.  And if you play the "but his postseasons" card, Sanchez also compares quite favorably, the big game being the obvious difference, but Namath played in 3 playoff games with only 2 wins.

Namath and Sanchez are #1 and #2 on the Jets QB hierarchy.  Need to learn to accept that.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Capture.jpg

Look at this Top 16.  It's tragic.  Some lowlights:

Joe Namath, our consensus best QB, had 215 interceptions in 136 games.

Ken O'Brien, our compiler, 10 seasons, never won a playoff game, only played in 2 of them.

Richard Todd, our transition guy, 2-2 in the playoffs, 4 TD's, 12 interceptions.

Chad Pennington, our sad puppy, was afraid, played great in the regular season, crapped the bed in the playoffs.

Vinny Testaverde, our one hit wonder, was on the roster for 7 years and only produced in 2 of them.

Mark Sanchez, Public Enemy #1, was barely here and dominated in the playoffs.

Sam Darnold, injured and only here 2 seasons, is already Top 10 in passing yards.

LOL.

SAR I

And we have Dick Wood on this list. 

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bradshaw won multiple Super Bowls.  Namath's one playoff run he was carried by his defense.

SAR I

Go back and look at Joe Namaths life...high school, records, college, records, and his NFL record,,it was a different time when he played, there were no personal fouls, he got clotheslined by Ben Davidson and no flag. He was a true leader, Brady or Manning could never play in the NFL back then. That has to be taken into consideration in any of these polls. In a 14 game season he was the first QB to pass for 4000 yards. Its a totally different game now, but to not give him his due is absolutely ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Go back and look at Joe Namaths life...high school, records, college, records, and his NFL record,,it was a different time when he played, there were no personal fouls, he got clotheslined by Ben Davidson and no flag. He was a true leader, Brady or Manning could never play in the NFL back then. That has to be taken into consideration in any of these polls. In a 14 game season he was the first QB to pass for 4000 yards. Its a totally different game now, but to not give him his due is absolutely ridiculous.

Bradshaw had a monster OL, 1 HoF WR and one close, HoF back and 2nd back who was very capable, and a defense that had a mess of HoFers and solid players. Namath was a very sharp guy but he got the tar beat out of him post Super Bowl(in part because the jets got stupid and  cheap with Riggins, but that's only a part of how bad their offense got). If you swap Bradshaw and Namath around 1971, Steelers win more Super Bowls than they actually did. You give Namath that kind of protection and surrounding cast and he dominates.  

• Upvote 1

Unitas was remembered as a Tier 1 QB when I was growing up.  I at least think that should be noted.  Although the he league has moved far away enough from that era that keeping that viewpoint is outdated.  Also, there is a good case for Staubach to be second tier.  He was the greatest QB in a decade when being one was extremely difficult.  He also led the league in passing four years and achieved his accolades in a very short career.  When a player is that much better over the league standard at the time it is worth noting.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

If you play the "but his stats" card, Sanchez compares quite favorably, Namath's recklessness is worse than Mark's.  And if you play the "but his postseasons" card, Sanchez also compares quite favorably, the big game being the obvious difference, but Namath played in 3 playoff games with only 2 wins.

Namath and Sanchez are #1 and #2 on the Jets QB hierarchy.  Need to learn to accept that.

SAR I

Testerverde

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

The only thing Sanchez has in common with Namath is they both got a lot of azz.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Rodgers is overrated, a dullard, and a stat machine.  Favre was a great player, likable, fun to watch.

SAR I

He’s the most dislikeable c*nt to ever play for this team.

Overrated as hell just for the reasons you said. Got the MVP’s because his prime was in a trash era for QBs between Marino and Manning.

Rodgers is 10x the player on worse Green Bay teams.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think manning without a doubt deserves to be in tier 1. Greatest regular season QB I’ve ever watched.

5x MVP 7x All Pro 14x Pro Bowler 

the passing stats speak for itself, on par with Brady if not better in some cases. 

I'll go to my grave believing that Peyton is better than brady.

Peyton has more TDs per game, yards per game, completion % and near identical QB rating. Holds the record for most passing yards & TDs in a single season. In addition to more MVPs and All pro appearances. There's far too much in Peyton's favor.

Brady was less likely to throw an INT, almost mistake-proof, making him a better game manager in big games...but if you want a QB to throw 350/3 against any given team, peyton manning is your guy.

7 hours ago, Vader said:

Random question: is Pittsburgh a Midwest town or nah

maybe like quasi-Midwest?

Pittsburgh is deep south, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think people are severely underrating Warner. He definitely deserves to be on the list. Personally I think the Steelers might win their Super Bowls with Sanchez. They had teams that were literally almost ALL HOF'ers. In fact, Bradshaw was chosen because we was not as good of a QB but much safer with the ball so that they could just win with running and defense. I dont think Rapelisburger would be in any tier for me. Namath should be on the list. His stats are not in line with the others but he was a transcendent player. People forget that now. Joe is mostly known for somehow shrinking like 6" in old age. Joe is 1" shorter than Darnold (see below), and Suzy Kober but he could throw the ball like few ever have, called his own plays nad threw for 4000 yards in 14 games when CBs could legally maul the receivers and hold at will. Namath in today's NFL would be a monster.

Warner had...what...3, maybe 4 good seasons?

Granted, they were exceptional seasons, but its a pretty small sample size. He's an inspirational figure and an NFL legend. But...one of the greatest QBs ever? Nope.

I never agreed with his hall of fame inclusion either. He got it for non-football reasons.

Russell wilson should eventually be in the hall of fame, exceptional career thus far. But i'm surprised to see he's NEVER made a single all-pro? Weird.

Ben roethlisberger, philip rivers have never made all-pro either.

Even matt ryan has one all-pro appearance to his name.

3 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Manning's consistent downturn in the post season will always work against him.

Like his brother he completely reputation'd his way to a Superbowl MVP. Eli at least deserved his second one.

Peyton lost too many playoff games in the early stages of his career. 3-6 before winning the SB in 06/07.

I don't think it counts against him though. Flacco has a great play-off record, so does Eli manning. Who cares. Playoffs are one-off games.

7 all pro selections. That's huge.

Is it career accomplishments or talent because if talent is a factor, how is an unathletic statuesque dink and dunk QB who's made a career by cheating Tier 1?    Aaron Rodgers is infinitely more talented than Tom Brady.  Not even close.  Imagine Rodgers on the Patriots cheating every year?  They legit might go undefeated every year. 

Elway too, Brady doesnt hold a candle to that dude's talent.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Is it career accomplishments or talent because if talent is a factor, how is an unathletic statuesque dink and dunk QB who's made a career by cheating Tier 1?    Aaron Rodgers is infinitely more talented than Tom Brady.  Not even close.  Imagine Rodgers on the Patriots cheating every year?  They legit might go undefeated every year. 

Unpopular opinion: I'd move brady for brees.

Amazingly, brees has just 1 all-pro appearance to his name.

Maybe there's less respect for his stats in today's more QB-friendly, offense-oriented era.

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Unpopular opinion: I'd move brady for brees.

Amazingly, brees has just 1 all-pro appearance to his name.

Maybe there's less respect for his stats in today's more QB-friendly, offense-oriented era.

Unpopular opinion but I'd move Brady to the bottom Tier.  The only reason he's even considered an all time great is because he cheated his way to a bunch of Super Bowls.  During Tom Brady's tenure in the NFL, he's never been the most talented QB in the NFL.  Not even close.  There is absolutely nothing special about Tom's game.  He's an accurate dink and dunk passer who has someone telling him who to throw to live time in his ear.  Color me unimpressed.

Brees? He's just as talented as Brady.  He just doesnt have the rings.  The only thing I hold against Brees is playing indoors for most of your career makes a HUGE difference. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Unpopular opinion but I'd move Brady to the bottom Tier.  The only reason he's even considered an all time great is because he cheated his way to a bunch of Super Bowls.  During Tom Brady's tenure in the NFL, he's never been the most talented QB in the NFL.  Not even close.  There is absolutely nothing special about Tom's game.  He's an accurate dink and dunk passer who has someone telling him who to throw to live time in his ear.  Color me unimpressed.

Brees? He's just as talented as Brady.  He just doesnt have the rings.  The only thing I hold against Brees is playing indoors for most of your career makes a HUGE difference. 

No argument from me. Brady is overrated as ****.

I don't agree with the 'dome' argument though. Playing outdoors, in inclement weather creates a strong home field advantage. A team accustomed to the elements is better prepared than an indoor team; its less of a 'level playing field'.

The dome is strictly a level playing field, neutral conditions for both teams.

13 hours ago, King P said:

Can't agree at all

This isn't a ranking of numbers. Brady may be considered the GOAT, but he's not so far ahead of everyone else that he should be in a class all by himself.

That's like if this was a basketball hierarchy saying that Michael Jordan should be Tier 1 alone because he's the GOAT. Nope, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson should (and would) be there right along with him. Just like Montana and Manning should be there with Brady even if they're not better

Even magic himself will tell you Michael is alone and it's not close.

Manning isn't even in the discussion. Great QB, top 5-10 all time but came up small in too many big games for this title.  Montana can make a case but Brady did it longer and better than Joe.  It's not an insult to put them in the next category.

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why didn't the "cheating" work for BB without Brady?  It's amazing how the cheating suddenly started working week 3 of 2001.

There are many QBs more talented, talent alone means nothing. Ryan leaf was incredibly talented, how did that work out?

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Russell wilson should eventually be in the hall of fame, exceptional career thus far. But i'm surprised to see he's NEVER made a single all-pro? Weird.

Ben roethlisberger, philip rivers have never made all-pro either.

Even matt ryan has one all-pro appearance to his name.

Peyton lost too many playoff games in the early stages of his career. 3-6 before winning the SB in 06/07.

I don't think it counts against him though. Flacco has a great play-off record, so does Eli manning. Who cares. Playoffs are one-off games.

7 all pro selections. That's huge.

Wilson was second team all pro

7 hours ago, Nixhead said:

If Joe Namath isn't on the list then the list means nothing to me. Joe was the 1st QB to 4k passing yards and won a Super Bowl for the Jets and yes he's a Hall of Famer. Any QB list should include all the Hall of Fame QB's. 

In the 4,000 yard season he cost the Jets a playoff spot with his INTs but he threw for 4k!

9 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

No argument from me. Brady is overrated as ****.

I don't agree with the 'dome' argument though. Playing outdoors, in inclement weather creates a strong home field advantage. A team accustomed to the elements is better prepared than an indoor team; its less of a 'level playing field'.

The dome is strictly a level playing field, neutral conditions for both teams.

Please explain how the guy who has won the most without top tier talent around him, took a franchise on the decline and turned them into the greatest dynasty in modern sports and took a HC that was considered a poor HC and turned him into what many consider the greatest is overrated?

• Upvote 1