NFL QB All-Time Hierarchy List (Thoughts?)

1 hour ago, ageingjetfan said:

Does anyone think that John Hadle and Dan Fouts and possibly Lamonica has a place somewhere on this list?

Fouts over Moon in a heart beat.

I never saw Hadle or Lamonica, but everything I have read about Lamonica I'd put him higher up, and honestly his #s are better than Namath's, other than SB 3

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bugg said:

When people badmouth Namath and Unitas, look at this boxscore from 1972. Namath at this point had had the crap beat out of him every week, and Unitas was about done. yet these guys hooked up and had a monster game like most QBs only dream about. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197209240clt.htm

I remember watching that game. Namath had 2 consecutive plays to Rich Caster for TDs. One was 79 yards, then the very next play was an 80 yard TD. It was amazing! One of the best games ever.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I never saw Hadle or Lamonica, but everything I have read about Lamonica I'd put him higher up, and honestly his #s are better than Namath's, other than SB 3

Lamonica was before my time, but the guy was a ******* monster.  The Mad Bomber.  The only reason he isn't on this list is AFL bias.  Over 30 TDs twice. Career 66-16-6.  Watch some youtube videos.  He certainly passes the eye test.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He threw for 190 yards.  He had a nice game.  That was not a shootout.

He threw 3 TDs, led his O to 28 points over a team which had the greatest QB of all time.  That's a little bigger than a 51-45 regular season game over a non playoff team

1 hour ago, Eaton Beaver said:

I remember watching that game. Namath had 2 consecutive plays to Rich Caster for TDs. One was 79 yards, then the very next play was an 80 yard TD. It was amazing! One of the best games ever.

Do you remember the rematch a month later?   That was the first game I ever attended.  Check Namath's line in that one.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197210220nyj.htm

• Upvote 1

Just now, nyjunc said:

He threw 3 TDs, led his O to 28 points over a team which had the greatest QB of all time.  That's a little bigger than a 51-45 regular season game over a non playoff team

The greatest QB of all time threw a pick and was sacked 5 times.  If the other QB being good is supposed to mean something, doesn't that hurt your anti-Eli argument?  

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Lamonica was before my time, but the guy was a ******* monster.  The Mad Bomber.  The only reason he isn't on this list is AFL bias.  Over 30 TDs twice. Career 66-16-6.  Watch some youtube videos.  He certainly passes the eye test.

Really only a 6 year career I think hurts, but Namath only had 7 years with 10 or more starts.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The greatest QB of all time threw a pick and was sacked 5 times.  If the other QB being good is supposed to mean something, doesn't that hurt your anti-Eli argument?  

Led his O to 28 points at Foxboro, Eli led his Os to 17 & 19 points on neutral fields.

31 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I think Bradshaw is underrated

He didn't beat the pats, his team did.  There are a million QBs who could have won those games when his D held NE to 14 & 17 points.

Wrong again.  But you're used to it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

Joe Namath went out partying the night before the AFL Championship Game and played it hung over.  

Joe Namath went water skiing while recovering from knee surgery and ruptured both his hamstrings.  

Joe Namath launched his upper body into a tackle after a bad interception in a preseason game and cost the Jets the season.  

I could go on.  Mark Sanchez didn’t do a single selfish thing as a Jet.  Great team player.  They threw him under the bus multiple times and he took it like a man. 

SAR I

Cmon these guys arent saints.  Yea he was a playboy who beat to the sound of his own drum.  Who didnt want to be Joewillie at that time.   Even Babe Ruth was jealous looking down on him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Led his O to 28 points at Foxboro, Eli led his Os to 17 & 19 points on neutral fields.

"Led."  Three of those drives started in Patriots territory.   I don't think he had much to do with the last one.  Handed the ball on the Pats 20 after the failed onsides and penalty, Shonn Greene runs for 4 and then a 16 yard score and goes to sleep.  Sanchez had a nice game.  Excellent even, but he did not outgun anybody.  I also fail to see the importance of home/away/neutral field in these discussions, but that is just me.

6 hours ago, SAR I said:

One season. Big deal.  

What Testeverde did once Sanchez did twice.  And he did it without a first round bye and without a home game and without a HOF head coach and without a HOF defensive coordinator.  

SAR I

Sanchez was nothing more than a game manager in his first 2 seasons. And he did that decently considering he was so wet behind the ears. Testerverde on the other hand was in his prime and it showed when he was with the Jets.  BB cost us the AFC game vs. the Broncos. We had that until he didnt respect Elway's arm. 

32 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Both those guys were lights out.  Saw them play as a kid. They were dynamic. Hadl went to the Rams and was electric. My 2nd favorite team in the 70's 80's.   Lamonica The Mad Bomber was insane.  Fearless. And a real pain in the azz to the Jets.  

Daryle Lamonica went 66-16-6 as a starter, good for a . 801 winning percentage, best in NFL history. He was inducted into the Fresno Hall of Fame in 1971; he was also inducted into the Italian American Hall of Fame in 1987. He is a guy who has earned a right to be in the Hall of Fame conversation.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Personally, I think Rust Belt is actually more accurate.

Would also be accurate, aye.  I'd still say the 'Burgh is a Northeast city too (whereas nowhere in Ohio is).

Of course, I also see Baltimore as Northeast too.  D.C. is about the southernmost end of "Northeast" in my book.  Once you pass D.C. you're in the Southeast. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Again with the ******* wikipedia research.   This is like Terrell Owens 4.45 40 yard dash.  A fallacy.  He supposedly was injured well before the Titans game.  "The final stretch of the season" is not a time.  If a "tendon popped" or he "tore his biceps" he would ******* remember.  That isn't a hang nail.  He was also worse against Oakland than he was against Seattle, but that came during that hallowed part of the season where you mutts think we were super bowl contenders.  Brett Favre has always been an inconsistent choke artist.  No reason to think an injury caused it here.

Firstly, I don't care enough about the 2008 season, Mangini, or Favre to make an issue out of this.  What I believe is that Brett Favre got hurt and couldn't throw.  The next year we got a young QB and a new HC and immediately found 3 years of success so it didn't make much of an impression on me in the big picture.  Looking back, it was a great opportunity to steal a Super Bowl and we never got the chance.  Pity.

SAR I

P.S. for those homer'ing over Namath:  It should perhaps tell you something that Joe is 100% NEVER included in these lists or discussions.  Never.

You may not like it, Namath may mean alot to you personally, but Joe Namath is simply not amongst the conversation of GOAT or Top 10 QB's ever.  He's just not.

Yes, he had major impact on the sport and the AFL/NFL.  Yes, he had a huge impact on late 60's culture and advertising.  Yes, he's a huge, larger  than life, personality and "Face" of the NFL even to today.

He's still not the GOAT.

Blame his nightmarishly bad knees, the medical tech of the time he played in, his complete lack of prioritizing football over his personal fame, or any other thing you want.  He's just not top 10.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You keep throwing around 8-3 like it is an undefeated season.  That included wins against the 4-11 Bengals, 2-14 Rams, 2-14 Chiefs, 7-9 Bills, the Dolphins with Pennington on the team for 3 weeks, in overtime against the Matt Cassel Patriots and a Cardinal team making the long flight and coming east for a 1 pm start for the 2nd week in a row (their 3rd road game in the 4 week season).   The Cards actually lost to a crappy Jim Zorn/Jason Campbell Redskin team the week prior.  

Favre was so engaged as a Jet that they lost at home to the Pats in Cassel's first start, put up 13 in an OT loss against the 5-11 Raiders and were absolutely demolished by the "playoff" Chargers who finished 8-8.

He hurt his arm, it got worse as the season progressed, he doesn't remember the actual incident as it was a gradual thing.  Most MLB pitchers could say the same.

I believe you are saying that Brett Favre is a liar and I don't believe that for a second.  He has no reason to defend his legacy in NJ, not after what happened the following year in Minnesota.

SAR I

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You may not like it, Namath may mean alot to you personally, but Joe Namath is simply not amongst the conversation of GOAT or Top 10 QB's ever.  He's just not.

Yes, he had major impact on the sport and the AFL/NFL.  Yes, he had a huge impact on late 60's culture and advertising.  Yes, he's a huge, larger  than life, personality and "Face" of the NFL even to today.

He's still not the GOAT.

Blame his nightmarishly bad knees, the medical tech of the time he played in, his complete lack of prioritizing football over his personal fame, or any other thing you want.  He's just not top 10.

That is realistically why he is in the hall of fame.   His impact on Football Culture, on the AFL being taken seriously, and winning 1 game.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

P.S. for those homer'ing over Namath:  It should perhaps tell you something that Joe is 100% NEVER included in these lists or discussions.  Never.

He's still not the GOAT.

I think the issue is that nobody thinks Namath actually had the best career.  Nobody puts him at #1.  He's not the GOAT.  You can argue top 10 though, especially against guys like Bradshaw and Tarkenton.  I tend to think he doesn't make it, but I get the argument.  For one game, you could argue him against anybody.

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That is realistically why he is in the hall of fame.   His impact on Football Culture, on the AFL being taken seriously, and winning 1 game.

It's true.  It's also worth more than what most of the guys on this list accomplished.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Would also be accurate, aye.  I'd still say the 'Burgh is a Northeast city too (whereas nowhere in Ohio is).

Of course, I also see Baltimore as Northeast too.  D.C. is about the southernmost end of "Northeast" in my book.  Once you pass D.C. you're in the Southeast. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States

Mid-Atlantic!  I do the drive twice a month. 

For me, I look at Pittsburgh is more Ohio than New York which is why I go with rust-belt.  It's actually pretty nice at the right time of year.

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's still not the GOAT.

Top 10 in stats. right. But who gives 2 sheets just about stats. I'd take Namath over half those guys in those 5 tiers for a must win because its about winning.  He did what no other QB did.  Other than the incredible upset by Eli vs. the Pats, SBIII  still goes down as the greatest upset in sports history right up there with the '69 Mets.

So let's summarize the torture these fine men have inflicted specifically on our NY Jets...

• In the all-time history of the NFL the Jets have been "graced" with 2 of the Top 5 Quarterbacks being in the division and tormenting their division championship hopes for a combined 37 years!!!! Marino (1983-1999), Brady (2000-2019).  We also had a Tier 5 guy in Jim Kelly who overlapped with Marino (1986 - 1996).  Not only that but just as Kelly and Marino were exiting Brady was taking the baton.  They never overlapped.  It's almost unfathomable how this worked against the Jets. We lived through the presidencies of Ronald Reagan, George H. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Donald Trump while consistently having a Top 5 All-Time NFL QB in the division.
  • Another Top 3 QB, Peyton Manning, played in the AFC and was a thorn in the side of the Jets, defeating them in an AFC Championship Game in 2009-10.  Fortunately for the Jets the Colts were moved from the AFC East to the South during the 2002 NFL expansion and realignment (addition of the Texans).  Otherwise, the Jets would have had both Brady and Manning in the same division from roughly 2000 until Manning went to Denver in 2012.
  • Other pains in the ass include Top 10 All-Time NFL QB, John Elway, who played in the Conference and also prevented the Jets from getting to a Super Bowl by beating them in the 1998-99 AFC Championship Game.
  • Finally, we have Ben Roethlisberger who beat the Jets in yet another AFC Championship Game (2010-2011) and an additional playoff game in 2004. (Can Doug Brien please hit a FG?)

I think the conclusion here is that while the Jets have suffered from their own ineptitude and mismanagement over the years they've had a really diabolical string of bad luck in terms of having several of the greatest QBs in the history of the entire NFL either in their Division or in their Conference for about 40 consecutive years.  Kelly and Marino through the 80's and 90's,  Brady for the past two decades.

I know that you guys know all this.....but it's almost therapy for me that I type this out and think it through.  I can only pray that the next great AFC East QB is Sam Darnold.

BadQBS.jpeg.8be1d54dee0d92d95fab882319fde5d3.jpeg

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the issue is that nobody thinks Namath actually had the best career.  Nobody puts him at #1.  He's not the GOAT. 

Namath is the GOAT in a very important category-  Sports Personality

He was the very first sports superstar, the guy that opened the door for guys like Jordan.  Joe had commercials, talk shows, movies, restaurants, Joe was the first athlete to be considered a brand.  Bigger than Babe Ruth.  Bigger than Muhammad Ali.  That's not chicken feed.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He sexually harassed at least employee of the organization and is literally tied up in a welfare-fraud scheme right now.

If Brett Favre sucked in New York, he'd just admit that he sucked in New York.  He's done enough in Green Bay and Minnesota and is in the Hall Of Fame, he doesn't need to concoct some goofy cover story for having a bad month in the Meadowlands.

He was on fire but he was old.  He tore his bicep and it got worse as the games wore on.  The issue, and it's legitimate, is that Mangini didn't bench him for a few weeks to see if it would heal and instead didn't tell anyone and kept marching the guy out there.  

SAR I

54 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Sanchez was nothing more than a game manager in his first 2 seasons. And he did that decently considering he was so wet behind the ears. Testerverde on the other hand was in his prime and it showed when he was with the Jets.  BB cost us the AFC game vs. the Broncos. We had that until he didnt respect Elway's arm. 

Testaverde was carried by a Hall Of Fame Head Coach, a Hall Of Fame Defensive Coordinator, a Hall Of Fame Running Back, a Hall Of Fame Center, a dominant defense, and dominant special teams.  He needed more help than Mark Sanchez.  And in the AFC Championship, we'd have won if Vinny played half as well as Mark.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Wrong again.  But you're used to it.

????

Even funnier is the clown who like your post

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

"Led."  Three of those drives started in Patriots territory.   I don't think he had much to do with the last one.  Handed the ball on the Pats 20 after the failed onsides and penalty, Shonn Greene runs for 4 and then a 16 yard score and goes to sleep.  Sanchez had a nice game.  Excellent even, but he did not outgun anybody.  I also fail to see the importance of home/away/neutral field in these discussions, but that is just me.

Oh it doesn't count unless it's a 99 yard drive?  Something tells me if the Jets settled for a FG after the botched fake punt you would have blamed Sanchez.  Also, the biggest drive of the game was a long drive after NE pulled within 3.

Just to clarify, you think week 3 against a non playoff team was a better game for O'Brien than the divisional round on the road against our most hated rival?

Home, neutral, away is a big deal.

In the Brady era in postseason:

At Foxboro 20-4, 83%

Road 4-3, 57%

Neutral 6-3, 67%

PPG allowed by NE D's

At Foxboro 18 PPG, Jets scored 28

Neutral 20.8 PPG, Eli led Os to 17/19

1 hour ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Man, for you to compare Sanchez to Namath, and opine that he was actually a better QB, you lose all the credibility that you may have had on this site. You really can't believe that.

What I am saying is that Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in Jets history.  He's not Namath.  But he's better than all the others.

Mark had 3 competitive seasons where he was in the playoffs or just missed.  Namath had one great run (if you can call 2 playoff games a 'run'), a Super Bowl hangover loss at home to the Chiefs, and nothing else.  Great QB's make the playoffs a lot.  Namath didn't.  Because he was irresponsible with his body and his mind.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Testaverde was carried by a Hall Of Fame Head Coach, a Hall Of Fame Defensive Coordinator, a Hall Of Fame Running Back, a Hall Of Fame Center, a dominant defense, and dominant special teams.  He needed more help than Mark Sanchez.  And in the AFC Championship, we'd have won if Vinny played half as well as Mark.

SAR I

Vinny had the best season in team history for a QB.  Parcells helped Vinny achieve that but Vinny was incredible.  29 TDs, 7 INTs and at least one of those was a hail Mary at the end of a half.  He played really well in the AFC championship game, unfortunately his teammates did not and the HOF defensive coordinator oversaw blowing a 10 point second half lead.

The Jets D was bend but don't break in 1998, it wasn't close to dominant.  They tried to blow the divisional round vs Jacksonville but Vinny and the O wouldn't let it happen then they blew the AFC Championship Game.

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Jetsfan80 is always right except when he disagrees with me. ?

Debatable.  What's not up for debate is nyjunc is always wrong.  I'm still waiting for him to give me the Powerball numbers that will definitely NOT win, so I can get rich.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1