NFL QB All-Time Hierarchy List (Thoughts?)

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Namath is the GOAT in a very important category-  Sports Personality

He was the very first sports superstar, the guy that opened the door for guys like Jordan.  Joe had commercials, talk shows, movies, restaurants, Joe was the first athlete to be considered a brand.  Bigger than Babe Ruth.  Bigger than Muhammad Ali.  That's not chicken feed.

SAR I

Any great athlete, IN THEIR ERA, was a great sports personalty.  And Namath wasn't the first nor was he bigger than Babe or Ali.  Its not their personality that made them great. Their greatness added to their personality if they had one to begin with.   Take Ty Cobb. One of the all time greats yet was the biggest AHOLE in sports history and despised by everyone other than his mother. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Debatable.  What's not up for debate is nyjunc is always wrong.  I'm still waiting for him to give me the Powerball numbers that will definitely NOT win, so I can get rich.

I love the folks that will always tell you that you are wrong but they can't seem to post any information to back that up.  They just insult to deflect.

38 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Any great athlete, IN THEIR ERA, was a great sports personalty.  And Namath wasn't the first nor was he bigger than Babe or Ali.  Its not their personality that made them great. Their greatness added to their personality if they had one to begin with.   Take Ty Cobb. One of the all time greats yet was the biggest AHOLE in sports history and despised by everyone other than his mother. 

Namath was the first real superstar pro football player, he helped make the sport popular.  You can argue about how career but his impact on the game is not debatable.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Namath was the first real superstar pro football player, he helped make the sport popular.  You can argue about how career but his impact on the game is not debatable.

He was also arguably the first American sports star who transcended sports to other forms of entertainment.  He hosted the Tonight Show and even had his own talk show besides being in movies

Up to that point the most that happened was Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle having cameo roles in films

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Again wrong. It’s getting to be habitual. Jim Thorpe -Galloping Ghost-Jim Brown etc etc etc Namath was legendary no question however but not the first.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

What I am saying is that Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in Jets history.  He's not Namath.  But he's better than all the others.

Mark had 3 competitive seasons where he was in the playoffs or just missed.  Namath had one great run (if you can call 2 playoff games a 'run'), a Super Bowl hangover loss at home to the Chiefs, and nothing else.  Great QB's make the playoffs a lot.  Namath didn't.  Because he was irresponsible with his body and his mind.

SAR I

Preposterous. I like Sanchez but he was over his head. Even Pete Carroll told him he wasn’t ready to go to the NFL when he did. Too bad he didn’t listen. There is just no place for him even in the top 5 Jet QB’s. 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

He was also arguably the first American sports star who transcended sports to other forms of entertainment.  He hosted the Tonight Show and even had his own talk show besides being in movies

Up to that point the most that happened was Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle having cameo roles in films

Are you talking about Namath or Jack Dempsey?

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

What I am saying is that Mark Sanchez is the second-best quarterback in Jets history.  He's not Namath.  But he's better than all the others.

Mark had 3 competitive seasons where he was in the playoffs or just missed.  Namath had one great run (if you can call 2 playoff games a 'run'), a Super Bowl hangover loss at home to the Chiefs, and nothing else.  Great QB's make the playoffs a lot.  Namath didn't.  Because he was irresponsible with his body and his mind.

SAR I

3 competitive seasons where he made the playoffs or just missed?  He didn't even have 3 winning seasons.

• Haha 1

Top 10 in stats. right. But who gives 2 sheets just about stats. I'd take Namath over half those guys in those 5 tiers for a must win because its about winning.  He did what no other QB did.  Other than the incredible upset by Eli vs. the Pats, SBIII  still goes down as the greatest upset in sports history right up there with the '69 Mets.

Thanks for proving my point. 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. 

No matter how few non-Jets Fans might share it.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

But did he lie?!?!?!

Brett Favre admitted to the NFL this week that he did leave voicemails for Jenn Sterger, but denied sending the former sideline hostess any lewd photographs when he was a member of the New York Jets, Fox Sports reported Sunday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5723186

Oh yeah, I guess he did.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Again wrong. It’s getting to be habitual. Jim Thorpe -Galloping Ghost-Jim Brown etc etc etc Namath was legendary no question however but not the first.

I don't know what's funnier, how badly you are wrong or that you are mocking people who are right?

10 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Preposterous. I like Sanchez but he was over his head. Even Pete Carroll told him he wasn’t ready to go to the NFL when he did. Too bad he didn’t listen. There is just no place for him even in the top 5 Jet QB’s. 

Pete was a snake oil salesman, he left USC onn probation.  He wanted mark back because they could have won a National Championship with him, no other reason.  It's hard to say mark wasn't ready when he was a game away from the SB his first 2 years.

We don't have any truly great QBs in our history, surely there is a place for the guy who has the most playoff wins in Jets history (by double #2) to be included in the top 5.

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

3 competitive seasons where he made the playoffs or just missed?  He didn't even have 3 winning seasons.

Only a few Jets QBs had 3 winning seasons and mark is one of only 3 with a winning record overall.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I don't know what's funnier, how badly you are wrong or that you are mocking people who are right?

Pete was a snake oil salesman, he left USC onn probation.  He wanted mark back because they could have won a National Championship with him, no other reason.  It's hard to say mark wasn't ready when he was a game away from the SB his first 2 years.

We don't have any truly great QBs in our history, surely there is a place for the guy who has the most playoff wins in Jets history (by double #2) to be included in the top 5.

Sanchez had numerous things in place when he came in as a rookie. Getting to the AFC  championship game in back to back years had more to do with the Jets defense and running game and very little to do with Sanchez. He had an outstanding OL, weapons, a good defense on the other side of the ball and a coach in Ryan whose philosophy was ground and pound.  He was not a QB who could be relied upon to take control of the game.  He was essentially a game manager in those first 2 years.  As soon as the OL dissolved and the defense withered, Sanchez's ability to progress was severely hampered.  Was it his fault? Not entirely but his career continued to spiral downwards.  He only played 4 years for the Jets and they moved on from him. And his stats in those years were pedestrian at best.  So unimpressed by his progress, they brought in Tebow. LOL. And after he left NY, he flopped in Philly and Washington. Ultimately, he even knew it was time to retire at a very young age.  It's an exercise in futility to even try and compile a top 5 Jets QB list let alone a top 10. Top 5 QB's  Namath, Testerverde, Obrien, Todd, Pennington.  

8 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Sanchez had numerous things in place when he came in as a rookie. Getting to the AFC  championship game in back to back years had more to do with the Jets defense and running game and very little to do with Sanchez. He had an outstanding OL, weapons, a good defense on the other side of the ball and a coach in Ryan whose philosophy was ground and pound.  He was not a QB who could be relied upon to take control of the game.  He was essentially a game manager in those first 2 years.  As soon as the OL dissolved and the defense withered, Sanchez's ability to progress was severely hampered.  Was it his fault? Not entirely but his career continued to spiral downwards.  He only played 4 years for the Jets and they moved on from him. And his stats in those years were pedestrian at best.  So unimpressed by his progress, they brought in Tebow. LOL. And after he left NY, he flopped in Philly and Washington. Ultimately, he even knew it was time to retire at a very young age.  It's an exercise in futility to even try and compile a top 5 Jets QB list let alone a top 10. Top 5 QB's  Namath, Testerverde, Obrien, Todd, Pennington.  

We couldn't even make the playoffs in 2008 with a similar roster against a weaker schedule and no Tom Brady around.

Sanchez really began struggling when his team top weapons were Chaz schilens and Stephen Hill.

He was really good in Philly in 2014, the O scored almost a TD more per game than they did with foles that year. They just faced a ridiculous second half schedule (played 5 games against teams that trashed at least divisional round) and the D collapsed.

How can anyone possibly put obrien ahead of guys that actually won playoff games when Ken walked into the best situation in team history for a QB?

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Only a few Jets QBs had 3 winning seasons and mark is one of only 3 with a winning record overall.

Two winning seasons, .500 in the other and 6-9 in the other and was GONE after that.  And again, Sanchez had little to do with those first 2 years other than handing the ball off.  If he was sooooo good, why did the Jets let him go?  They invested highly in picks and money in him yet got rid of him in his PRIME.  His stats were extremely average 2400, 3300, 3500, 2900 yards per year respectively.  70 TD's in 4 years with Jets.  69 INT's.  Not exactly lighting it up. 

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Two winning seasons, .500 in the other and 6-9 in the other and was GONE after that.  And again, Sanchez had little to do with those first 2 years other than handing the ball off.  If he was sooooo good, why did the Jets let him go?  They invested highly in picks and money in him yet got rid of him in his PRIME.  His stats were extremely average 2400, 3300, 3500, 2900 yards per year respectively.  70 TD's in 4 years with Jets.  69 INT's.  Not exactly lighting it up. 

With 43 fumbles lost over 4 years.

Yes, you read that correctly.  43.  Fumbles.  Lost.

Have you noticed all the winning we've done since he left?

The D led those title game teams but mark was a vital part especially in 2010 when the D blew many late game leads and the O saved them.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RJIII said:

MAHOMES is already an ALL Timer in a short period of time. List is a fraud.. 

Now he has to prove it long term.  Do this for another 5-7 years and he catches Peyton, another 10-15 and we can start talking Brady.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With 43 fumbles lost over 4 years.

Yes, you read that correctly.  43.  Fumbles.  Lost.

Do you ever get anything right?  He lost 20 in 4 years which is still not great but only 4 the first 2 seasons.  16 the last 2 as the talent around him eroded.

Because some know more than others.

Thank you.

Anyone putting Brady over Montana should get an immediate ban and recite 10 Hail Mary's.

For what? Understanding the game better than others? It's not even a debate, as great as Joe was Brady has lapped him about 4 times.  I get it, he's from the hated rival but we should be able to admit the truth.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Wow didn’t know that. Good research. That would make Sanchez Daniel Jones’ mentor.

You didn't know it because it's not true.  He lost 20 in his 4 years here.  Here's a tip, most of what that poster posts is wrong.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You didn't know it because it's not true.  He lost 20 in his 4 years here.  Here's a tip, most of what that poster posts is wrong.

Fake news about real facts.  And does the buttfumble count as like around 10?

17 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Fake news about real facts.  And does the buttfumble count as like around 10?

The buttfumble was a meaningless play in a blowout loss but our great fans will remember that more than 4 playoff wins.