65 Man Roster Prediction

Jets paid decent money for Hilbers and I’d expect him to at least be on the PS. Other little things here and there but this was a fun read and thoughtful even where I didn’t think of things the same way.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

55 minutes ago, derp said:

Jets paid decent money for Hilbers and I’d expect him to at least be on the PS. Other little things here and there but this was a fun read and thoughtful even where I didn’t think of things the same way.

This is a good point, and likely correct.

And thanks for the last line. That's what I was going for. Not much to discuss these days ...

On offense, that’s pretty much how I see it as well. With one exception that I think we carry 6 WRs (Smith) and carry 9 OL (cut Harrison or Andrews).

On defense, those backup roles might go to special teams guys. Langi and Bello were two of our better special teams players. I think they’ll make it over Cashman and Burgess. Tough decisions to be made at LB for sure. Farley was very good on special teams as well.

Nice work. We have depth on this team for the first time in a longtime. Now we just need guys to develop and then sprinkle in a couple top players on each side.

• Upvote 1

@derp already pointed out Hilbers.  I think that you are wrong on Daniel Brown.  Somebody must love him.  I think Douglas was there when Baltimore signed him and he played for Loggains in Chicago.  He had a couple of big preseasons and has a really good catch rate.  I think he is good on specials. He blocked a punt in preseason and recovered on onside kick when he was with the Bears.  He didn't turn 28 yet and is a converted WR who played (surprise, surprise) basketball, I think he makes the team.  I think Griffin got run because Brown was dinged coming out of camp.

Jeff Smith is also a wild card.  Somebody must like him.  He is as athletic as they come.  As soon as he was active they gave him run and looked way better than expected.  I probably like him more than I should, but I was shocked they even carried him on the practice squad after he did nothing all preseason.   Seemed like a stash move and I think he has a shot now.  

I also thought they were looking Shyheim Carter for safety.  I think he sticks ahead of Cioffi and maybe Bennett Jackson too.  I think the line between safety and nickel CB is pretty blurred right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Possibly. But there's no way they signed Gore to cut him

Apparently, he only signed for $1M with $200K guaranteed. I think they've left themselves open to cutting him if he's outplayed by one of the kids. 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

@derp already pointed out Hilbers.  I think that you are wrong on Daniel Brown.  Somebody must love him.  I think Douglas was there when Baltimore signed him and he played for Loggains in Chicago.  He had a couple of big preseasons and has a really good catch rate.  I think he is good on specials. He blocked a punt in preseason and recovered on onside kick when he was with the Bears.  He didn't turn 28 yet and is a converted WR who played (surprise, surprise) basketball, I think he makes the team.  I think Griffin got run because Brown was dinged coming out of camp.

Jeff Smith is also a wild card.  Somebody must like him.  He is as athletic as they come.  As soon as he was active they gave him run and looked way better than expected.  I probably like him more than I should, but I was shocked they even carried him on the practice squad after he did nothing all preseason.   Seemed like a stash move and I think he has a shot now.  

I also thought they were looking Shyheim Carter for safety.  I think he sticks ahead of Cioffi and maybe Bennett Jackson too.  I think the line between safety and nickel CB is pretty blurred right now.

These are great points. Pretty much agree with everything. Just the fact that Brown was a FA and they brought him back with Herndon, Griffin, and Wesco already under contract should tell you something. 

I'll also add that I think they actually like Adams, Moore and Dixon and those guys will get a legit shot to make the roster (if they carry 4 which I'm not sure they will). I kind of think despite Cannon being a good gunner he will lose the job. Ash Davis is also supposed to be a great gunner.  

• Upvote 1

Because Cannon was injured, our two gunners on punts last year were Maulet and Bellemy. Maulet was the better of two from what I saw watching punts (got curious about punt coverage after we drafted Mann). Maulet was also the guy who returned the Pats muffed punt for a TD. As @PepPep noted, Ashtyn Davis is known to be an excellent gunner. So Cannon, Maulet and Davis are options at gunner. Giving Davis and Cannon are excellent athletes, I have to imagine they have a leg up on Maulet.

Kickoff Returner is going to be equally competitive. Davis, V Smith, and Cannon can all do it at a good level.

Berrios probably has punt returner on lock.

Michael Nania did an interesting analysis where he looked at kick returns of greater than 25 yards. On those returns, he noted who were the players that made key blocks. The top guys were Langi (10), Farley (7), Bello (6), Brown (6), Basham (6). Thought this was good because it gives us a sense who are the more valuable guys in the return game.

Basham last year also had a FG block to boot. Guy contributes every where on the team.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:33 AM, GreenFish said:

Because Cannon was injured, our two gunners on punts last year were Maulet and Bellemy. Maulet was the better of two from what I saw watching punts (got curious about punt coverage after we drafted Mann). Maulet was also the guy who returned the Pats muffed punt for a TD. As @PepPep noted, Ashtyn Davis is known to be an excellent gunner. So Cannon, Maulet and Davis are options at gunner. Giving Davis and Cannon are excellent athletes, I have to imagine they have a leg up on Maulet.

Kickoff Returner is going to be equally competitive. Davis, V Smith, and Cannon can all do it at a good level.

Berrios probably has punt returner on lock.

Michael Nania did an interesting analysis where he looked at kick returns of greater than 25 yards. On those returns, he noted who were the players that made key blocks. The top guys were Langi (10), Farley (7), Bello (6), Brown (6), Basham (6). Thought this was good because it gives us a sense who are the more valuable guys in the return game.

Basham last year also had a FG block to boot. Guy contributes every where on the team.

I doubt specials makes or breaks Maulet. He adds solid depth to the secondary, proving he can be a key contributor when thrust into a starting role last year. Honestly, I think he's all but a lock to make the roster, its really his spot to lose- much like Poole, Bless, Hall, and even Desir.