UFC

been following a while...   makes the current boxing scene more bearable...

shocking lack of basic tehnique in many "famous" fighters...

eg- conor getting his ass whooped and lookin amatuer vs. khabib.

and ferguson getting boxed like a schoolboy by gaethje....

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Go grapple with Khabib then if his technique is so lacking. Show him a thing or two.

Khabib is close to flawless in his technique.

I listed him as an antidote to bad technique , thinking that most readers would know that Khabib in NOT among those with bad technique and that the OP would know this as well....

Basic what technique?

Boxing stance gets your leg eaten up and opens you up for takedowns.

It's always boxing fans mad that boxing skills only work in boxing matches when you strap a pillow to your fist and ban every other type of fighting.

Anthony Smith's corner-men need to be removed from the sport. Not a first time for them either. Sending him out for the fifth is as disgraceful as I've ever seen. 

The whole culture of letting fighters go out on their shield is disgusting. Fine enough for the fighter to have that mentality but insane that coaches seem to by into it at the expense of protecting their fighters. 

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, Arsis said:

Basic what technique?

It's always boxing fans mad that boxing skills only work in boxing matches when you strap a pillow to your fist and ban every other type of fighting.

100%. Unless you have elite jiu jitsu or are simply tough as nails, staying heavy on your front leg is an incredibly dangerous place to be. That's why the Diaz brothers always got away with it, they had (have) both.

Nick's mentality with the lead leg was also always: I'm not going to come out of my stance so I can get knocked out.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

100%. Unless you have elite jiu jitsu or are simply tough as nails, staying heavy on your front leg is an incredibly dangerous place to be. That's why the Diaz brothers always got away with it, they had (have) both.

Nick's mentality with the lead leg was also always: I'm not going to come out of my stance so I can get knocked out.

And it's bitten them both in the ass multiple times. The Diaz Brothers for how much I love them are gatekeepers

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Anthony Smith's corner-men need to be removed from the sport. Not a first time for them either. Sending him out for the fifth is as disgraceful as I've ever seen. 

The whole culture of letting fighters go out on their shield is disgusting. Fine enough for the fighter to have that mentality but insane that coaches seem to by into it at the expense of protecting their fighters. 

I'm shocked they let him go back out and it's also worth noting refs have way more training when it comes to noticing this stuff. Smith was acting as if he was defending himself and that's fine but there's a fine line between showing something and seeing the guy's life is clearly in danger. I get that the guy went 5 rounds with Bones and he's tough as nails but when his teeth are falling out in the corner it's probably time to call it a night.

Also I can't say I've ever seen quite a garbage lineup for a PPV like this 250 card. They better pull something out of their ass for this stat. Who the hell is going to pay 65 bucks to watch Nunes decide if she feels like mauling Felicia Spencer? It's the 250th card for ****'s sake! 

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Also I can't say I've ever seen quite a garbage lineup for a PPV like this 250 card. They better pull something out of their ass for this stat. Who the hell is going to pay 65 bucks to watch Nunes decide if she feels like mauling Felicia Spencer? It's the 250th card for ****'s sake! 

Yeah, that needs to be a fight night.

I don't think I'd watch that card for free and I've watched almost every card since 2003.

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm shocked they let him go back out and it's also worth noting refs have way more training when it comes to noticing this stuff. Smith was acting as if he was defending himself and that's fine but there's a fine line between showing something and seeing the guy's life is clearly in danger. I get that the guy went 5 rounds with Bones and he's tough as nails but when his teeth are falling out in the corner it's probably time to call it a night.

I think the ref was looking to stop it a few times but every time he moved in Teixeira started to grapple, which they'll normally let play out. That said he should still have found a way to stop it. Smith literally told his corner "my teeth are falling out" and they just pressed on as if that meant nothing. Clearly he wanted out but wouldn't say it. 

9 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I think the ref was looking to stop it a few times but every time he moved in Teixeira started to grapple, which they'll normally let play out. That said he should still have found a way to stop it. Smith literally told his corner "my teeth are falling out" and they just pressed on as if that meant nothing. Clearly he wanted out but wouldn't say it. 

There is just such a disconnect with it all and none of the commissions want to change anything. They are still using the same standards as boxing which is absurd.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, Arsis said:

Basic what technique?

in the example of tony, not getting punched in the face over and over technique- defense.

jg is good at kicking the leg...  he has tightened up his striking technique and wasn't wild. 

he made tf look like an amateur using sound counter punching.

conor was woefully underskilled. floyd just waited til he was gassed and then knocked him around a bit.

like khabib made poirier and conor look incompetent at grappling. 

i love boxing but these guys, for the most part, dont show particulatly good striking technique,

its often very wild and they leave themselves disastrously open.  

its a fascinating mishmash of fighting styles...that too often look like bad boxing with some kicking and medirocre wresting thrown in.

gauthje raised his level admirably, khabib is a wildy effective grappler/mauler with improving kinda wild striking sprinkled in.

• Thumb Down 1

• 1 month later...

Rarely do you see intrigue for a fight increase when a guy pulls out but looks like Usman-Masvidal is official for this Saturday. Should have been the original fight tbh. 

Sucks for Burns but Jorge's been box office of late. Still think Usman blankets him. Conor will unretire on the spot if Jorge pulls this off. 

Unbelievable card. One of the best in a long time. 

Also Khabib's dad died this week. RIP. Guy helped train some killers. Done a lot for MMA in that region.

kNQXuFrYxd7BpaxzzoQTt52Il_gj99iW1rfXi1Hp

That's him at 29. That's pretty terrifying given I'm the same age and he looks like he could kill me in 3 seconds with his bare hands if he felt like it. 

On 7/6/2020 at 5:05 AM, Irish Jet said:

Rarely do you see intrigue for a fight increase when a guy pulls out but looks like Usman-Masvidal is official for this Saturday. Should have been the original fight tbh. 

Sucks for Burns but Jorge's been box office of late. Still think Usman blankets him. Conor will unretire on the spot if Jorge pulls this off. 

Unbelievable card. One of the best in a long time. 

Probably the best trilogy of main events since that GSP-MSG card years ago.

Masvidal at +225, I put 100 bucks down as I think people are sleeping on the stylistic matchup here. IMO Gamebred has some of the most underrated grappling in MMA. Guy took on Maia and Askren and did just fine, not to mention he had the perfect strategy when Nate tried to pull him into his guard during their fight; (and Nate has elite jiu jitsu btw, he would be an IBJJF champ in the gi if he hadn't been fully in MMA the last 10 years). No doubt. If he has truly been training and sparring this entire time I think this is a fantastic matchup for him. I don't think Usman is going to be able to press him up against the cage, and if he has to box Masvidal like he had to Colby, which is likely, that's Masvidal's world.

Keep an eye on the prelims. The Russian prospect Bogatov is legit, he's a monster on the ground. 

On 7/9/2020 at 11:34 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Probably the best trilogy of main events since that GSP-MSG card years ago.

Masvidal at +225, I put 100 bucks down as I think people are sleeping on the stylistic matchup here. IMO Gamebred has some of the most underrated grappling in MMA. Guy took on Maia and Askren and did just fine, not to mention he had the perfect strategy when Nate tried to pull him into his guard during their fight; (and Nate has elite jiu jitsu btw, he would be an IBJJF champ in the gi if he hadn't been fully in MMA the last 10 years). No doubt. If he has truly been training and sparring this entire time I think this is a fantastic matchup for him. I don't think Usman is going to be able to press him up against the cage, and if he has to box Masvidal like he had to Colby, which is likely, that's Masvidal's world.

Keep an eye on the prelims. The Russian prospect Bogatov is legit, he's a monster on the ground. 

Usman comfortably made Street Jesus look like a 14 loss fighter

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Usman comfortably made Street Jesus look like a 14 loss fighter

Just a sh*t fight. Turns out Masvidal had to drop 20 lbs in 6 days.

Usman is the worst. Just a style built completely around exploiting the cage. Hopefully Burns can deal with it with his jiu jitsu but who knows. ******* footstomps.

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just a sh*t fight. Turns out Masvidal had to drop 20 lbs in 6 days.

Usman is the worst. Just a style built completely around exploiting the cage. Hopefully Burns can deal with it with his jiu jitsu but who knows. ******* footstomps.

indeed not the most exciting 

22 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

indeed not the most exciting 

I can deal with boring fights. But there is this style of cage wrasslef-cking that has completely taken over the game and the aggravating thing about it is that it has nothing to do with fighting. It's just a product of the cage being the thing they chose to use early on and some wrestlers eventually figured out how to exploit it. 

This is precisely why Gaethje has the following that he does. He's perfectly capable of doing that to anyone and doesn't because it's just a dishonorable way of engaging the fight and the fans. Ditto for Cormier and Cejudo. Those guys would be able to get it done anywhere and they do. But put Usman in Rizin and his entire game goes out the window because of the ring. That's not a fight.

47 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I can deal with boring fights. But there is this style of cage wrasslef-cking that has completely taken over the game and the aggravating thing about it is that it has nothing to do with fighting. It's just a product of the cage being the thing they chose to use early on and some wrestlers eventually figured out how to exploit it. 

This is precisely why Gaethje has the following that he does. He's perfectly capable of doing that to anyone and doesn't because it's just a dishonorable way of engaging the fight and the fans. Ditto for Cormier and Cejudo. Those guys would be able to get it done anywhere and they do. But put Usman in Rizin and his entire game goes out the window because of the ring. That's not a fight.

I see what you mean. 

How do you feel about Khabib? 

On 7/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, Losmeister said:

I see what you mean. 

How do you feel about Khabib? 

Not as bad as Usman is with it but he’s up there, Khabib relies a little more on the takedown and tangling up the legs than the fence humping, though it’s certainly part of his game. I hope Gaethje laces him but we’ll see. To get out of that leg entanglement that Khabib lives on you have to be a jiu jitsu ace and that’s why I had really been looking forward to him versus Tony and now that’s never happening. 

I respect that Khabib takes rounds to try and test his standup like he did against Iaquinta and Conor, but he’s also a horrible person so eff that guy. 

On 7/19/2020 at 3:27 PM, Losmeister said:

??

He has that deep Islamic conservatism and has ties to some very questionable people.

I wouldn't really say he's a horrible person. I'd imagine growing up how he did and where he did will do that. By all accounts he's a family man. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 7:27 AM, Losmeister said:

??

On 7/24/2020 at 6:54 AM, Irish Jet said:

He has that deep Islamic conservatism and has ties to some very questionable people.

I wouldn't really say he's a horrible person. I'd imagine growing up how he did and where he did will do that. By all accounts he's a family man. 

Google Khabib Los Angeles Homeless. He's notorious in fight circles for doing sh*t like that btw. All those guys walk around bullying people constantly (see: 10 of them cornering Artem). And the sh*t him and his crew say about women is abhorrent. Amazing fighters but not nice guys at all.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Google Khabib Los Angeles Homeless. He's notorious in fight circles for doing sh*t like that btw. All those guys walk around bullying people constantly (see: 10 of them cornering Artem). And the sh*t him and his crew say about women is abhorrent. Amazing fighters but not nice guys at all.

Wow first time I’ve seen that. Just f*cking cruel.