Jump to content
Maxman

Curtis Martin & Chad Pennington are the two greatest Jets of all time. You can't convince me otherwise.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Chad Pennington = Best QB ever, injuries robbed him of multiple Super Bowl victories.

I am torn on locking this now, because honestly, this isn't even up for debate. Just facts on these two players.

I guess you can all discuss this if you want to. 

50% correct 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bronx said:

50% correct 

Which part are you incorrect on?  :)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  •  534,079
  • 86,883 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

I can see why you like compilers. But I'm not sure how the egg makes this call to fame.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Jets fans who prefer Favre to Pennington need to be disowned. 

This is the truth. I think most of those people left after Favre did

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Sucks you can't ban Max for stupid threads

Actually, I think I can.  But I also think he can undo it so it would just be a symbolic gesture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin was a great seasonal player.  The Jets Needed him in the biggest game in 98 and he came up small.  Also he destroyed the 99 season fumbling and Vinny T blows out the Achilles.  Maybe it would have gave out eventually but darn it had to be week one.

Pennington had the great mind to be able to see what was in front of him.  His limited physical tools caused him to be just average.

So for greatest in season player Martin - Yes

Pennington not so much.

Just my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You must be joking. Chad never had an arm strong enough to throw against a stiff wind and after the injuries he could barely throw the ball more than 10 yards on a line.

Curtis Martin would take what the OL gave him and then avoid contact and go to the ground. Just imagine Martin behind last seasons OL. AND when his assignment was to block and pick up a blitzer he would curl up in the fetal position while simultaneously falling to the ground giving the blitzer a clean path to the QB. Don't forget his fumble that caused Vinny's season ending injury ruining a likely SB season.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin was actually much better than I remember when I went back and rewatched a lot of our 2004 season. His quickness through the hole was legit but had no gear after that. He was more elusive and physical than given credit for. Broke a lot of arm tackles but it was often his change of direction causing the arm tackles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved Pennington, but durability is a critical requirement for being a franchise QB. It sucks but it is what it is. If you had asked me in January of 2003, I definitely would have told you he was going to be our GOAT QB. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Martin was a great seasonal player.  The Jets Needed him in the biggest game in 98 and he came up small.  Also he destroyed the 99 season fumbling and Vinny T blows out the Achilles.  Maybe it would have gave out eventually but darn it had to be week one.

Pennington had the great mind to be able to see what was in front of him.  His limited physical tools caused him to be just average.

So for greatest in season player Martin - Yes

Pennington not so much.

Just my opinion.

 

Probably an unpopular opinion but I thought Pennington was a better player than Martin before his shoulder got rebuilt 1000 times. Martin was just Frank Gore level durable till he met Herm Edwards. At least he got to enjoy the BBQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously everyone is d tied to their opinion.  Either way I loved both guys as Jets.  I remember how happy I was when we signed Curtis Martin.  I also remember wanting Pennington to get a crack at being the starter and once he did that whole season started a big turnaround 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the greatest player in Jets history has to have to ability to throw the ball farther than 15 yards.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly namath is the greatest jet ever, but the fact that this even a topic of discussion is indicative of how pitiful jets football has been for decades...

 

This has got me thinking.

 

How many other franchises would discuss a player like Pennington or Martin as their greatest ever?

 

Let's see:

Dolphins: Marino

Patriots: Brady

Bills: Bruce Smith, Kelly

Steelers: Bradshaw, Ward

Ravens: Ray lewis

Bengals: Palmer, Anderson

Browns: Jim Brown

Chiefs: Derrick Thomas

Broncos: Elway

Raiders: Stabler

Chargers: Tomlinson, rivers

Colts: Peyton manning, unitas

Jaguars: Taylor

Texans: Watt, Johnson

Titans/Oilers: Moon

 

Packers: Rodgers, Favre

Bears: Payton

Lions: Sanders

Vikings: Tarkenton

Cowboys: Emmitt, Staubach

Giants: Taylor

Eagles: White

Redskins:  ???

Saints: Brees

Falcons: Ryan, julio

Bucs: Sapp, brooks

Panthers: Smith?

Cards: Fitzgerald

Seahawks: Wilson

49ers: Montana, Rice

Rams: Donald, Deacon jones

 

I count, the Cards, jags, panthers, texans, redskins, and bucs. That's probably the bottom tier of the NFL. everybody else would laugh at the idea of Martin being their greatest ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, predator_05 said:

Honestly namath is the greatest jet ever, but the fact that this even a topic of discussion is indicative of how pitiful jets football has been for decades...

 

This has got me thinking.

 

How many other franchises would discuss a player like Pennington or Martin as their greatest ever?

 

Let's see:

Dolphins: Marino

Patriots: Brady

Bills: Bruce Smith, Kelly

Steelers: Bradshaw, Ward

Ravens: Ray lewis

Bengals: Palmer, Anderson

Browns: Jim Brown

Chiefs: Derrick Thomas

Broncos: Elway

Raiders: Stabler

Chargers: Tomlinson, rivers

Colts: Peyton manning, unitas

Jaguars: Taylor

Texans: Watt, Johnson

Titans/Oilers: Moon

 

Packers: Rodgers, Favre

Bears: Payton

Lions: Sanders

Vikings: Tarkenton

Cowboys: Emmitt, Staubach

Giants: Taylor

Eagles: White

Redskins:  ???

Saints: Brees

Falcons: Ryan, julio

Bucs: Sapp, brooks

Panthers: Smith?

Cards: Fitzgerald

Seahawks: Wilson

49ers: Montana, Rice

Rams: Donald, Deacon jones

 

I count, the Cards, jags, panthers, texans, redskins, and bucs. That's probably the bottom tier of the NFL. everybody else would laugh at the idea of Martin being their greatest ever

Sammy Baugh is probably considered the Redskins best ever player.

Namath is definitely considered ours. Revis might challenge him if he weren't so (understandably) despised. Certainly the best player I've seen on the Jets and at his peak the best I've seen at his position by far. Didn't do it for long enough though and completely mailed it in at the end.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Sammy Baugh is probably considered the Redskins best ever player.

Namath is definitely considered ours. Revis might challenge him if he weren't so (understandably) despised. Certainly the best player I've seen on the Jets and at his peak the best I've seen at his position by far. Didn't do it for long enough though and completely mailed it in at the end.

 

Revis is easily the greatest Jet i have ever seen (been a fan since 2000, i'm 30).

 

Either way, its not a good look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I liked Pennington as a leader and felt good when he was under center. I never liked Martin's running style. He got so many touches, it was obviously he would get tons of yards. But he was a slasher, not a breakaway guy... don't think he was better than Freeman McNeil, or Riggins, or Boozer. He was ho hum for me.   Lamont Jordan averaged 6 yards a carry with us, so we had a good line. I know he was a class guy and all, but I like Barry Sanders types...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Honestly namath is the greatest jet ever, but the fact that this even a topic of discussion is indicative of how pitiful jets football has been for decades...

 

This has got me thinking.

 

How many other franchises would discuss a player like Pennington or Martin as their greatest ever?

 

Let's see:

Dolphins: Marino

Patriots: Brady

Bills: Bruce Smith, Kelly

Steelers: Bradshaw, Ward

Ravens: Ray lewis

Bengals: Palmer, Anderson

Browns: Jim Brown

Chiefs: Derrick Thomas

Broncos: Elway

Raiders: Stabler

Chargers: Tomlinson, rivers

Colts: Peyton manning, unitas

Jaguars: Taylor

Texans: Watt, Johnson

Titans/Oilers: Moon

 

Packers: Rodgers, Favre

Bears: Payton

Lions: Sanders

Vikings: Tarkenton

Cowboys: Emmitt, Staubach

Giants: Taylor

Eagles: White

Redskins:  ???

Saints: Brees

Falcons: Ryan, julio

Bucs: Sapp, brooks

Panthers: Smith?

Cards: Fitzgerald

Seahawks: Wilson

49ers: Montana, Rice

Rams: Donald, Deacon jones

 

I count, the Cards, jags, panthers, texans, redskins, and bucs. That's probably the bottom tier of the NFL. everybody else would laugh at the idea of Martin being their greatest ever

Some of this is off. 

For example, Big Ben should be mentioned above Ward. Also, Franco Harris should be, as well. 

Another example - the Rams have Warner, Falk, and Dickerson. I'd probably put all of those guys ahead of Donald. 

etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

<scouring internet for dog diarrhea emoji>  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Some of this is off. 

For example, Big Ben should be mentioned above Ward. Also, Franco Harris should be, as well. 

Another example - the Rams have Warner, Falk, and Dickerson. I'd probably put all of those guys ahead of Donald. 

etc. 

I just wrote the very first name that came to mind. Kind of like a word association thing.

Either way, I don't see martin being talked about as the greatest ever on most of those teams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, predator_05 said:

I just wrote the very first name that came to mind. Kind of like a word association thing.

Either way, I don't see martin being talked about as the greatest ever on most of those teams.

Ahh, ok. 

Fair enough. 

And totally agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Chad Pennington = Best QB ever, injuries robbed him of multiple Super Bowl victories.

I am torn on locking this now, because honestly, this isn't even up for debate. Just facts on these two players.

I guess you can all discuss this if you want to. 

Cool.

Since you say we can't convince you otherwise, I won't try.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Martin was actually much better than I remember when I went back and rewatched a lot of our 2004 season. His quickness through the hole was legit but had no gear after that. He was more elusive and physical than given credit for. Broke a lot of arm tackles but it was often his change of direction causing the arm tackles. 

martin was also great in pass protection and was a very good receiver.  i guess people can call him a compiler and give him grief for 98 but when the patsies played the rams in the superbowl they won by taking marshal faulk out of the game.  it's possible that denver had something to do with martin not having a good game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

noodlearms.jpg

Im wondering how many people truly see your genius in this post!!!!:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, was Pennington really better than Ken O' Brien?  For all his playing on some mediocre teams, O'Brien's peak was better than Penningtons and he has the accolades to prove it.  As far as I can tell, O'Brien's worst problem was holding onto the ball too long so Toon got plastered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

imo with pennington everything has to be prefaced with potential.  he potentially could've been the best jets qb ever except for being injured.  can't say he would've gotten them to multiple superbowls.  his arm strength was a limitation but it wasn't that bad until he busted up his shoulder.

as for martin, he was very good in all aspects of his game on top of being mostly injury free.  you can diss him too much for staying around so long.  heck he won the rushing title with bad knees but ultimately it's up to the coaches and gm to put the players on the field.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most dominant player ever in a Jets uniform was Revis, even if he became a lazy sob during his second stint here.

I'm not old enough to have seen klecko play, unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...