Curtis Martin & Chad Pennington are the two greatest Jets of all time. You can't convince me otherwise.

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Chad Pennington = Best QB ever, injuries robbed him of multiple Super Bowl victories.

I am torn on locking this now, because honestly, this isn't even up for debate. Just facts on these two players.

I guess you can all discuss this if you want to. 

football week GIF

• Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Loved Pennington, but durability is a critical requirement for being a franchise QB. It sucks but it is what it is. If you had asked me in January of 2003, I definitely would have told you he was going to be our GOAT QB. 

Truly a heart breaker with Chad. Mind of a field genius, heart of a lion and body by Mattel. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Honestly, was Pennington really better than Ken O' Brien?  For all his playing on some mediocre teams, O'Brien's peak was better than Penningtons and he has the accolades to prove it.  As far as I can tell, O'Brien's worst problem was holding onto the ball too long so Toon got plastered.

I only saw O’Brien play in ‘91-‘92, but for a brief moment in the mid-80’s he was seen as comparable with Marino. I’ve always viewed the  ‘80’s Jets as having great talent. So, I’m not sure if it was O’Brien underperforming or the team underperforming due to coaching.

I remember O’Brien’s amazing performance in the Pro Bowl QB accuracy challenge: I think he set a record. I think it was in ‘91 or ‘92. 

23 hours ago, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Chad Pennington = Best QB ever, injuries robbed him of multiple Super Bowl victories.

I am torn on locking this now, because honestly, this isn't even up for debate. Just facts on these two players.

Joe Namath will always be number one Jet of all time. Championship is all that really counts and he was the QB. He also helped create what the NFL and Super bowl is today. 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:48 AM, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Curtis Martin - absolutely!

But if Chad is one of the greatest Jets ever, then this franchise is even worse than I thought.  I am fully confident, however, that Sam will be way better than Chad when it's all said and done.  

On 5/12/2020 at 11:45 AM, rangerous said:

chaddy never had a toon to throw to either.  there's no way chaddy could ever match obrien for throwing ability.  obrien was amazing but chaddy was way more of a leader and knew how to play the game.

chaddy? really? I liked Pennington until Herm(you play to win the game)Edwards took 2 knees in the AFC Championship against Pittsburgh and the kicker was short on the winning FG, game over. Right after that they show Pennington at midfield with Ben yucking it up, laughing. What great competitor who just lost the Super Bowl would do that, I lost all respect for him after that. As far as the greatest Jets it is easy, Namath and Klecko. For all you youngsters who do not remember Klecko, grab a book and read it, it will change your mind.

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

chaddy? really? I liked Pennington until Herm(you play to win the game)Edwards took 2 knees in the AFC Championship against Pittsburgh and the kicker was short on the winning FG, game over. Right after that they show Pennington at midfield with Ben yucking it up, laughing. What great competitor who just lost the Super Bowl would do that, I lost all respect for him after that. As far as the greatest Jets it is easy, Namath and Klecko. For all you youngsters who do not remember Klecko, grab a book and read it, it will change your mind.

Pennington never had a TD pass when they played the Steelers yet Clemens did..B)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

I only saw O’Brien play in ‘91-‘92, but for a brief moment in the mid-80’s he was seen as comparable with Marino. I’ve always viewed the  ‘80’s Jets as having great talent. So, I’m not sure if it was O’Brien underperforming or the team underperforming due to coaching.

I remember O’Brien’s amazing performance in the Pro Bowl QB accuracy challenge: I think he set a record. I think it was in ‘91 or ‘92. 

He had 85, and the first 11 games of 86, and then utterly fell off a cliff and was never the same.

I have never seen a player so totally lose it from 1 week to the next, and never get it back.

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Traffic most have slowed to a halt jeez ?

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Curtis Martin = Overrated compiler.

Chad Pennington = Overrated loser.

Both were disappointments and played their worst in the biggest games.

SAR I

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

No argument as far as Chad goes. 2nd only to Namath on my list of Jets QB's.

I've never bought a jersey for myself. I'm a sweatshirt or tee shirt guy, but when my daughter wanted one to wear at the stadium, I bought her a white #10 Pennington Reebok jersey. I think she still might have it, LOL.

You're not wrong about the RB either... he was pretty special.

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Curtis Martin = Overrated compiler.

Chad Pennington = Overrated loser.

Both were disappointments and played their worst in the biggest games.

SAR I

Sounds like Rex Ryan would have been the perfect man to coach them.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sounds like Rex Ryan would have been the perfect man to coach them.

Well Chad loved football and Rex loved football not so for the compiler who once said;“I wasn’t the biggest football fan to begin with, but if I was going to play, I didn’t want to play for what was in my mind the worst team, ever,” “I looked at the Jets as the bottom of the barrel.”

https://www.nj.com/jets/2012/07/curtis_martin_never_liked_foot.html

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

fun fishing GIF

On 5/12/2020 at 11:06 AM, Big_Slick said:

You must be joking. Chad never had an arm strong enough to throw against a stiff wind and after the injuries he could barely throw the ball more than 10 yards on a line.

Curtis Martin would take what the OL gave him and then avoid contact and go to the ground. Just imagine Martin behind last seasons OL. AND when his assignment was to block and pick up a blitzer he would curl up in the fetal position while simultaneously falling to the ground giving the blitzer a clean path to the QB. Don't forget his fumble that caused Vinny's season ending injury ruining a likely SB season.

This is wrong om so many levels. CM went to the ground when he knew he wqs done and avoided contact true but that probably extended his career by years. As far as taking what the OL gave him, he was possibly the best I have seen at making the first guy miss. Was the OL giving him a one on one? If so I agree with this. Not even going to comment on VT thing. Lastly, CM was an excellent blocker.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is wrong om so many levels. CM went to the ground when he knew he wqs done and avoided contact true but that probably extended his career by years. As far as taking what the OL gave him, he was possibly the best I have seen at making the first guy miss. Was the OL giving him a one on one? If so I agree with this. Not even going to comment on VT thing. Lastly, CM was an excellent blocker.

So how do you think CM would have done running behind last seasons OL?

"Greatest Jet of all time" just means you liked him. That's fine. I liked Chad too. Before he broke down and started throwing those atrocious interceptions I had a high level of confidence in his decision-making and thought we always had a chance to win with him behind center.

What I don't get is the love for Curtis Martin. His production was that of an average starting running back. Nothing special. He averaged 4.0 yards per carry for the Jets, which puts him 13th on the all-time Jets running back list (for those with more than 300 attempts). To put that into perspective, such tailback luminaries as Shonn Greene, LaMont Jordan, Joe McKnight, Bilal Powell, and Isaiah Crowell were more productive per attempt than Curtis. He had a lot of rushing yards, sure, but his rushing attempts per game were stratospheric.

As for him being a warrior, I've heard that said about him ever since he started playing for us and I still don't know what that means. 90% of NFL players are warriors, in the sense that it takes a goodly amount of courage to play this crazy game at the pro level.

My vote for greatest Jet is Joe Klecko. I just liked him.

Martin - very good back, but not great.  Durable, consistent.  A compiler yes, but still a good player.  When he arrived here, he became the focal point for opposing defenses, faced a lot stacked boxes.  That was even more evident after ‘99.  

Chad - overrated by much of the fan base IMO.  I don’t think he could ever really make all the throws.  Injuries played a part in his downfall, but I suggest watching that Indy PO game.  A lot of screens, 3 step drops, sprints/waggles/boots with layered routes - basically a lot of stuff that either  involved predetermined/presnap/quick decisions or stuff that did not require scanning the entire field.  Do not remember many 5-7 step drops where he had to scan the entire field.  Believe 2 of the TD passes in that game came off screens.

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2020 at 7:48 AM, Maxman said:

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

max owke up with a tickle on his funny boner

Curtis Martin = Warrior.

Martin is a lock...Chad not so much.  Love me some Chad P, but what about Darelle Revis, Joe Klecko, or gastineu.  

8 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

What kind of question is this?

How would any RB do behind an OL that doesn't block anyone.  

Exactly. That's the answer for the trolls who slam Bell and Sam for not putting up HOF numbers with that bottom level OL, in not just the NFL last season, but in NFL history even before all the injuries.

A certain moderator on this board penned the single greatest post in the history of message boards on the topic of Curtis Martin being overrated.  You know who you are.  To this day I have never seen any topic in any sport nailed so absolutely as that one was on that day.

In fact I used keep that post archived and it even survived several PC changeovers.  I used to keep it around so I could re-post it whenever the topic of Curtis Martin and his supposed greatness would come up as it invariably does.   Unfortunately a quick check now fails to find it alas.

I liked Pennington well enough but you simply cannot separate his skill set from his injury history ("we have an egg back there")

• Sympathy 1