Manish: Jets Believe they will sign Logan Ryan

3 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Douglas went on the Kay show a month ago and talked about how much he liked Winters. So I don’t know if we’ll be releasing him to free up more money. But the Trumaine Johnson relief comes June 1. So we will have some more spending money even beyond the money needed for signing draft picks. 

It seems he’s been praising winters all off season. I’ve mentioned it a few times but opening day lineup might have Van Roten at LG where he played in carolina, and winters at RG with Lewis backing them up. I’m kind of hoping he takes a pay cut though. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is Desir any good?

Solid corner who can play #1 or the #2. Logan Ryan as the #1 makes me feel better though. I’ve always really liked Logan Ryan since his NE days. He developed good instincts and turned himself into a very good corner since he came into the league. Most players sink after they leave NE and Ryan looked just as reliable as usual.

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

It seems he’s been praising winters all off season. I’ve mentioned it a few times but opening day lineup might have Van Roten at LG where he played in carolina, and winters at RG with Lewis backing them up. I’m kind of hoping he takes a pay cut though. 

The Jets gave priority to signing Lewis over Van Roten, and gave him a bigger contract. Got to think that means they view Lewis as the starter at LG and Van Roten as the backup - unless he starts at RG if Winters doesn't.

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Is Desir any good?

He was a top FA a few years ago, and has played well for the most part. I’ve read that last season wasn’t his best, but that was from one writers perspective. He seems like a solid #2 CB. 

10 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

We aren't getting rid of Winters.  We need OL depth and he played an entire season with half his shoulder hanging off.  Douglas rewards that kind of effort because he wants to send a message to the locker room.  The days of half assing it and trying to work your way around rehab and playing hard are over.  You sacrifice or you are gone.  And if you go that extra mile you are rewarded.

The NFL is a business, there is no loyalty. Peoples jobs are constantly on the line.  You sacrifice your body at your own risk. Winters is getting paid waaaaayyyyy too much to be depth.  And even if you wanted to reward a guy for playing injured would you do it at the expense of signing a starter that could really help your team? No. What Douglas has shown is he's going to do what is in the best interest of the team and organization, period. If that means Winters and Williamson get released in order to bring in Logan Ryan and an edge rusher I think that's what he'll do. 

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Lol, I’ve seen a lot of reports over the years but a “believe they will sign” is a new one. I like it on a year deal but won’t believe it until schefter or someone else more reliable breaks the news.

Still checking the thread and trying to find proper confirmation, myself.

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

If we are signing Ryan.  It wouldn't be to trade his ass.  It would be because we want to make the playoffs.

Oh yeah totally agree, but it’s a fair point. If the wheels fall off early on like last year he would definitely be a trade chip. 

Just now, pdxgreen said:

If we are signing Ryan.  It wouldn't be to trade his ass.  It would be because we want to make the playoffs.

He's an idiot.  The Jets are trying to win this year even though there are plenty of fans who don't want to bc they want Gase gone.  The division is easier then its ever been since you don't have 2 definite losses to the Patriots. I still think the Jets need another veteran WR and an edge rusher. 

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The NFL is a business, there is no loyalty. Peoples jobs are constantly on the line.  You sacrifice your body at your own risk. Winters is getting paid waaaaayyyyy too much to be depth.  And even if you wanted to reward a guy for playing injured would you do it at the expense of signing a starter that could really help your team? No. What Douglas has shown is he's going to do what is in the best interest of the team and organization, period. If that means Winters and Williamson get released in order to bring in Logan Ryan and an edge rusher I think that's what he'll do. 

There's no loyalty when there is an opportunity of replacing that player with someone else better.  Not when he's a valuable proven backup so easy to plug into a position without many other options.  Douglas just spent an entire draft trying to build depth.  I doubt he'd dump somebody at the key position group he's been obsessed with solidifying since he got hired last June.  Cap space becomes more valuable at different points in the season.  Yes, Winters is overpaid but not so much that it invalidates his position on the team.

Overthecap finally has all our contracts updated.

We have $15M in cap space. $3M will go to rookies. And we have $11M of space coming our way in June because of Tru’s cut.

$23M of space is plenty. We don’t need to cut players to make room for Ryan’s salary. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

19 minutes ago, Young Jetty said:

How does Manish still have a job?

Probably because he just broke this story.  And the other day he got the home opener first, and a couple weeks ago he did a piece on the newly revamped scouting system put in place by Joe Douglas.  

You wanted more Brian Costello telling us Darnold is the problem and Gase is Belichick II?

Just now, AFJF said:

Probably because he just broke this story.  And the other day he got the home opener first, and a couple weeks ago he did a piece on the newly revamped scouting system put in place by Joe Douglas.  

You wanted more Brian Costello telling us Darnold is the problem and Gase is Belichick II?

How about neither? They’re both garbage journalists.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

How about neither? They’re both garbage journalists.

Manish is legitimately the only guy who consistently gets scoops.  Not sure if you realize how impossible that is nowadays with Rap Sheet and Schefty being on speed dial for every single agent in the NFL.  Those guys scoop everyone 99% of the time.

Manish breaks a few stories a year which is better than what others get, and everyone else repeats what those guys report.

However, in case you haven't noticed, Costello and Hughes have been getting some exclusive stuff  and some player access this offseason, which was 100% expected as they defended every dumb move Gase made all season.  They were clearly trading their credibility to Gase in exchange for player access.  When Gase is fired, they'll have to start over from square one.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

There's no loyalty when there is an opportunity of replacing that player with someone else better.  Not when he's a valuable proven backup so easy to plug into a position without many other options.  Douglas just spent an entire draft trying to build depth.  I doubt he'd dump somebody at the key position group he's been obsessed with solidifying since he got hired last June.  Cap space becomes more valuable at different points in the season.  Yes, Winters is overpaid but not so much that it invalidates his position on the team.

A Pro Bowl Guard in 2017, 2018 & 2019 is looking for the same amount of money Winters is set to make this year and you don't think that's too much money for a backup who has been injured the past 3 seasons???

The Jets carried 9 offensive lineman last year and they will carry 9 again this year. 

Becton

Lewis

McGovern

Van Roten

Fant

Harrison

Edoga

Clarke

Josh Andrews (Backup Guard who JD brought over from Philly)

So it's Winters and his huge price tag or JD's hand picked guy in Josh Andrews and his $1 million price tag. I don't even know why keeping him at his current salary would be an option. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Manish is legitimately the only guy who consistently gets scoops.  Not sure if you realize how impossible that is nowadays with Rap Sheet and Schefty being on speed dial for every single agent in the NFL.  Those guys scoop everyone 99% of the time.

Manish breaks a few stories a year which is better than what others get, and everyone else repeats what those guys report.

However, in case you haven't noticed, Costello and Hughes have been getting some exclusive stuff  and some player access this offseason, which was 100% expected as they defended every dumb move Gase made all season.  They were clearly trading their credibility to Gase in exchange for player access.  When Gase is fired, they'll have to start over from square one.

Scoops? Lol

23 minutes ago, choon328 said:

And cutting Winters and Williamson now rather than waiting until the Summer would be much better for those players' interests.  If they care about "doing right by them", cutting them now would be the next best thing if they don't plan on keeping them all season.