Manish: Jets Believe they will sign Logan Ryan

Just now, choon328 said:

A Pro Bowl Guard in 2017, 2018 & 2019 is looking for the same amount of money Winters is set to make this year and you don't think that's too much money for a backup who has been injured the past 3 seasons???

The Jets carried 9 offensive lineman last year and they will carry 9 again this year. 

Becton

Lewis

McGovern

Van Roten

Fant

Harrison

Edoga

Clarke

Josh Andrews (Backup Guard who JD brought over from Philly)

So it's Winters and his huge price tag or JD's hand picked guy in Josh Andrews and his $1 million price tag. I don't even know why keeping him at his current salary would be an option. 

Winters has injury problems but he's a solid, proven backup that you can plug and play.  You really think he's going to strip a guy like that from the team unless its absolutely certain that there's a FA option that makes the team THAT MUCH BETTER in another area.  If its for Clowney, sure... dump him.  But I am just saying, it has to be because dumping him makes sense to the teams overall level of play going into the season.  Not just, OHHH HE MAKES SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS.  The capologists may tell Douglas that.... but like we've seen.  He makes value judgements based on his own criteria.

57 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Can we swap out Winters for Warford and get this thing going?

And toss Van Roten or Lewis on the scrapheap? Warford is not that great an upgrade from the guys we now have and the guys we drafted. Rather go for Ryan which is what this thread is about anyway.

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Defensive football is the best kind of football.  Sorry Coach Coryell and Coach Mouse Davis... but it's true!

The 49ers had a top 5 defense and barely slowed Pat Mahomes down.  

I'd love for defensive football to make a comeback, but its not happening.  At least not the kind of defensive football that focuses on getting 3 and outs/stops. 

You need guys who get to the QB and/or cause turnovers.  Logan Ryan would be a good add towards that end, at least.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Manish is legitimately the only guy who consistently gets scoops.  Not sure if you realize how impossible that is nowadays with Rap Sheet and Schefty being on speed dial for every single agent in the NFL.  Those guys scoop everyone 99% of the time.

Manish breaks a few stories a year which is better than what others get, and everyone else repeats what those guys report.

However, in case you haven't noticed, Costello and Hughes have been getting some exclusive stuff  and some player access this offseason, which was 100% expected as they defended every dumb move Gase made all season.  They were clearly trading their credibility to Gase in exchange for player access.  When Gase is fired, they'll have to start over from square one.

Manish takes shots in the dark and sometimes gets things right, he attacks characters, he holds grudges and uses his media accessibility to feed his emotional vendettas, he’s a smug, half ass journalist and I’m not sorry. Let’s not act like he’s some kind of lightning rod for team information and no one else is. He guesses and gets things wrong just as much as everyone else. You are giving him credit for what exactly? Because he pops up on JN’s radio talk to speak with you every once in awhile? He claimed Gase was a genius and the absolute right choice until the very moment that Mehta got his feelings hurt and then it was all-out warfare whether he was right about 12% of his Gase accusations or not. That’s wrong. That’s bad business...and bad blood.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, pdxgreen said:

Winters has injury problems but he's a solid, proven backup that you can plug and play.  You really think he's going to strip a guy like that from the team unless its absolutely certain that there's a FA option that makes the team THAT MUCH BETTER in another area.  If its for Clowney, sure... dump him.  But I am just saying, it has to be because dumping him makes sense to the teams overall level of play going into the season.  Not just, OHHH HE MAKES SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS.  The capologists may tell Douglas that.... but like we've seen.  He makes value judgements based on his own criteria.

I think it's him vs Andrews for the final roster spot on the offensive line. Andrews fits the scheme and is $6 million cheaper. It's really a no brainer. Jets fans need to stop holding onto these players of the recent past who have done nothing but lose.  This entire team and organization needs an enema. 

That $6 million could partially go to a veteran QB or depth at WR or a veteran pass rusher or carried over to next year.  There are many other options that make sense to use that money rather then spend it on a backup Guard who is not a schematic fit with a terrible recent medical history.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, choon328 said:

That's not even remotely true.  Did you even bother to look to see if he deleted it?

It’s not there now, it’s possible he did and then deleted it. Like I said it was a rumor lol a few people on reddit mentioned it

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

It’s not there now, it’s possible he did and then deleted it. Like I said it was a rumor lol a few people on reddit mentioned it

It is there now.  Look at my last post. Why not check before posting?

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It is there now.  Look at my last post. Why not check before posting?

Yeah so that’s not there anymore lol I’m staring at his page and refreshing it so make sure. So my rumor comment went from not being remotely true, to you literally proving it as true. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And cutting Winters and Williamson now rather than waiting until the Summer would be much better for those players' interests.  If they care about "doing right by them", cutting them now would be the next best thing if they don't plan on keeping them all season.

It doesn’t make sense to keep Winters after signing Van Roten and Lewis. We paid those two starter money. Do you think Van Roten agreed with the Jets to compete for a starting spot? Winters makes too much to backup or possibly lose a competition for a starting spot. 

He’s gotta go. Avery Williamson is on the hook for a large chunk, too. Our ILB depth is fat. He’s probably gonna get cut, too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The 49ers had a top 5 defense and barely slowed Pat Mahomes down.  

I'd love for defensive football to make a comeback, but its not happening.  At least not the kind of defensive football that focuses on getting 3 and outs/stops. 

You need guys who get to the QB and/or cause turnovers.  Logan Ryan would be a good add towards that end, at least.

As long as the offense is competitive, you can scheme anybody on any given Sunday.  BB hasn't exactly made the focus of his team a Top 5 offense every year.. he always puts the most emphasis on what his specialty is.  I used to think offensive football was the way to go... but then I saw Oregon more effective with a great defense and a sh*tty offense...  then they ever were under Chip Kelly.  Football is about controlling those key moments of the clock that win the game or lose the game.  I just think that an emphasis on defense puts you in a better place to do that.  Now if Mahomes goes out next year and Reid coaches him to 15 wins... I owe you a Pepsi.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I think it's him vs Andrews for the final roster spot on the offensive line. Andrews fits the scheme and is $6 million cheaper. It's really a no brainer. Jets fans need to stop holding onto these players of the recent past who have done nothing but lose.  This entire team and organization needs an enema. 

That $6 million could partially go to a veteran QB or depth at WR or a veteran pass rusher or carried over to next year.  There are many other options that make sense to use that money rather then spend it on a backup Guard who is not a schematic fit with a terrible recent medical history.

I understand you feel that way.  I disagree.  (shakes hands)

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Yeah so that’s not there anymore lol I’m staring at his page and refreshing it so make sure. So my rumor comment went from not being remotely true, to you literally proving it as true. 

It's still on his feed on my Twitter. Here's a screen shot from 5 seconds ago

Screenshot_20200512-125246_Twitter.jpg

If true.... the JD COMP Pick algorithm will be on full display next off-season. All these 1 yr. deals will pay off big time in 2022. This also is an indication that JD doesn't believe in the " 4 yr. Rebuild" excuse MacDaddy and Idzik spewed. Accountability will be required of all coaches, players and staff!! As it should be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

We aren't getting rid of Winters.  We need OL depth and he played an entire season with half his shoulder hanging off.  Douglas rewards that kind of effort because he wants to send a message to the locker room.  The days of half assing it and trying to work your way around rehab and playing hard are over.  You sacrifice or you are gone.  And if you go that extra mile you are rewarded.

Seems like you can say that after each of his seasons since he signed that contract

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Cimini  and Costello came out and said their sauces are saying no formal offer has been made. 
image.gif.5791bf60f60a25e98b142a4dc2d7976b.gif

I’ve gotta think Cimini and Costello have better sauces than Mehta. Being Italian, ya know?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Manish is the best beat writer we have.

He’s right much more than he’s wrong and isn’t afraid to take a strong stance against the franchise and coaches.

That’s not saying much. Considering Cimini and to a lesser extent Costello are both tools, too.