Manish: Jets Believe they will sign Logan Ryan

22 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I won’t speak for JD, but I believe he signed two guards in FA (Lewis and Van Roten) to be the starting guards. 

It appears that the ship has sailed. JD doesn’t seem like the type of GM to sit a guy on the bench making starter money. Now, obviously I could be wrong. If we start the season with the previous two guys I mentioned and Winters, then I’m wrong. But I don’t expect Winters to be on this roster moving forward. Unless he takes a massive pay cut. And if you sign Warford, now Van Roten sits. It doesn’t make sense from a financial perspective. 

Van Roten has a $3.3 million cap hit this year. 

Lewis has a $4.3 million cap hit this year. 

Both can be easily cut after the season and are basically on 1 year deals.  Neither one are making starters money. They are both tied at 51st in the percentage (31%) of their contract being guaranteed compared to other Guards.

Also,  Van Roten and Lewis are both LG's not RG's. Neither of them have ever played RG. The only actual RG's on the roster are Winters, Andrews and probably Clarke. 

45 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Obviously Winters would be cut if Warford signed bc you'd no longer have a competition at RG and can't pay a backup Guard $8 million.

I have not seen one report of the Jets being linked or interested in Warford. That seems to suggest they are not interested and content moving forward with what they’ve got. Now, it’s possible something is quietly happening behind the scenes, to which I would concede your point. 

Until I hear otherwise, I’m banking on Lewis and Van Roten. The whole RG vs LG is overblown. A guard is a guard. The Jets also signed Andrews and drafted the kid Clarke. Winters days are looking numbered. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I have not seen one report of the Jets being linked or interested in Warford. That seems to suggest they are not interested and content moving forward with what they’ve got. Now, it’s possible something is quietly happening behind the scenes, to which I would concede your point. 

Until I hear otherwise, I’m banking on Lewis and Van Roten. The whole RG vs LG is overblown. A guard is a guard. The Jets also signed Andrews and drafted the kid Clarke. Winters days are looking numbered. 

A guard is not a guard.  Smh. That's like saying a tackle is a tackle. 

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

A guard is not a guard.  Smh. That's like saying a tackle is a tackle. 

You’re saying that both Becton and Fant can’t play both sides?  Before you answer that, just know that both have history of playing both sides and having success. 

10 hours ago, Prez33 said:

You’re saying that both Becton and Fant can’t play both sides?  Before you answer that, just know that both have history of playing both sides and having success. 

Seriously dude? Just bc you can play RT well, that doesn't mean you'll automatically be just as good at LT. It's two different positions with different responsibilities. Please stop responding to me.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  This isn't ******* Madden. Ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Seriously dude? Just bc you can play RT well, that doesn't mean you'll automatically be just as good at LT. It's two different positions with different responsibilities. Please stop responding to me.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  This isn't ******* Madden. Ridiculous. 

Becton and Fant have both played LT

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Becton and Fant have both played LT

I know.  The character I was responding to is trying to say that if you can play RT that automatically means you can play LT. It's nonsense. For example the idea that someone would put Jack Conklin to protect the blindside of a QB when he's a poor pass protector is silly.  But according to him anybody can play any position on the offensive line which is ridiculous Madden BS.

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

I know.  The character I was responding to is trying to say that if you can play RT that automatically means you can play LT. It's nonsense. For example the idea that someone would put Jack Conklin to protect the blindside of a QB when he's a poor pass protector is silly.  But according to him anybody can play any position on the offensive line which is ridiculous Madden BS.

Well it’s different footwork in pass protection.  A lot of LTs start out as Right Tackles or Guards

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

No I didn’t say that. 

I said some players can play both, and HAVE played both. Calm down man. 

9 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

No I didn’t say that. 

I said some players can play both, and HAVE played both. Calm down man. 

This is exactly what you said

13 hours ago, Prez33 said:

The whole RG vs LG is overblown. A guard is a guard.

It's fine, you feel one way, I feel another. Let's just move on

The continued pursuit of Logan Ryan
An update to say there’s no update. Douglas is who he is when it comes to contract negotiations. He won’t pay more than he believes a player is worth. He does not believe Ryan is worth $10 million per year, so he’s not giving him $10 million per year. It doesn’t matter that the Jets have that money, nor that it’s just a one-year contract coming off the books in 12 months. Douglas views overpaying as a slippery slope.

And $10 million for Logan Ryan is overpaying. There’s a reason he’s still unsigned with that asking price. Sure, his 114 tackles, 4.5 sacks and five interceptions look good. But those were the first interceptions he had since 2016. He allowed seven touchdowns and referees flagged him 11 times. Quarterbacks had a passer rating of 95.3 when targeting him. He’d be a good veteran signing at a reasonable price. But not at his current asking.

- Connor Hughes 

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Logan Ryan is on the NY Giants. 

And has been utterly mediocre...as a safety.

That’s what he is. Mediocre safety, above-average nickel corner.

He’s basically been sh*t his entire career when tasked with handling outside duties. Be it with the Pats or the Titans.

Logan Ryan, Jadeveon Clowney (who I wanted), Everson Griffen...none of these guys would’ve been worth it for us in hindsight.

Keep the tank rolling 

10 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He’s basically been sh*t his entire career when tasked with handling outside duties. Be it with the Pats or the Titans.

Logan Ryan, Jadeveon Clowney (who I wanted), Everson Griffen...none of these guys would’ve been worth it for us in hindsight.

Keep the tank rolling 

Ok I never said he was any good. 

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Keep the tank rolling 

Mediocre > McDougald and Davis 

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mediocre > McDougald and Davis 

Well...sure.

But why would you want to spend upwards of $10 million on a safety during a lost year when we’re actively trying to suck brown eye  for Lawrence?

We already have an above average nickel with safety capabilities. His name is Brian Poole.

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Well...sure.

But why would you want to spend upwards of $10 million on a safety during a lost year when we’re actively trying to suck brown eye  for Lawrence?

We already have an above average nickel with safety capabilities. His name is Brian Poole.

It would only have been a one year deal.  Tackling has been a problem this year.  Ryan can at least do that

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Davis who, as he played?

I had high hopes for the kid but he’s looking like a whiff.  And what makes it bad is we passed on like 77 different good young WR prospects for him

Signing Ryan last spring means we don’t draft Davis and get another WR in round 3 instead.  So Jetsy

• Sympathy 1