Garafolo says Jets still interested in Jason Peters

https://www.jetnation.com/2020/05/12/garafolo-jets-still-showing-interest-in-jason-peters/

Now this is where a mentor would make sense.  Could start at LT from day one and let Becton start elsewhere while he learns from one of the best in the business.

Hell, let him play along side Peters as  a rook.

LT Peters

LG Becton

C McGovern

RG Winters/Van Roten/Clark

RT Fant/Edoga/Clark

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jetlife33 said:

With the Jets signing Gore last week, while being linked to Warford, Ryan and Peters since then, it doesn’t seem JD is done. 

Linked to warford how?  Haven't seen anything about them showing interest.

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

https://www.jetnation.com/2020/05/12/garafolo-jets-still-showing-interest-in-jason-peters/

Now this is where a mentor would make sense.  Could start at LT from day one and let Becton start elsewhere while he learns from one of the best in the business.

LT Peters

LG Becton

C McGovern

RT Fant/Edoga/Clark

I think it’s more likely ( if they sign peters ) that Becton will slide to RT than guard. I agree with you, who else better to learn from if you’re Becton than Jason Peters. If Peters gets hurt, then Becton slides to LT and Fant is up at RT. 

• Upvote 2

The Jets offensive line is a work in progress. The Jets are looking to stay active in a time where other teams are not bc of the uncertainty.  It may mean they get a few veterans that can really help this team for a fraction of what they're worth. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I think it’s more likely ( if they sign peters ) that Becton will slide to RT than guard. I agree with you, who else better to learn from if you’re Becton than Jason Peters. If Peters gets hurt, then Becton slides to LT and Fant is up at RT. 

I would think Becton moves into RG. Peter's plays RT with Fant at LT. Fant was pretty adamant he was signed to play LT. It wouldn't shock me if he did start at LT this year regardless of a Peters signing or not with Becton at RT

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

It might’ve just been speculation if so my bad, I remember seeing the jets as one of 5-6 teams showing some sort of interest. 

Yeah, I've definitely seen them listed as a good fit or a team that would make sense but nobody saying they've reached out.

I believe it would be Peters and Becton as the tackles with Fant/Clarke/Edoga as the back ups. If the Jets are getting Peters.

Lewis, McGovern and Van Roten as the IOL.

Teams with the best depth are the teams that will have the best chance of winning this year. Well that's my belief.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I would think Becton moves into RG. Peter's plays RT with Fant at LT. Fant was pretty adamant he was signed to play LT. It wouldn't shock me if he did start at LT this year regardless of a Peters signing or not with Becton at RT

Fant also isn't that good of a LT so he can go **** himself if he doesn't wanna move to RT

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

I have a tough time believing Jets signed Fant to that contract to be a backup.

Yup. 

And Becton wasn’t drafted 11th overall to play guard. He’s 6’7  370.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Put Becton at LG. He’s our future LT. Putting him at RG would mean a position switch and a side switch. The Ravens did this Ogden. I like the idea especially with the lack of on field practice.

This would put our OL in the top 15 in the league. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Would be my favourite move of the off-season if we signed him, hands down.

Whether he wants to spend his last season as a temporary placeholder and mentor for Becton is probably questionable though.

He’s supposedly wants to mentor players. In addition to playing until 40 of course. This would rank up there for me as well. Good locker room guy. Becton having this guy next to him for a year would be amazing. No rookie OL would be in a better situation. Sandwich Becton between Peters and McGovern and let the kid move people.

15 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Fant starting a single game will be a bad thing.

He’s genuinely trash.

Fant’s getting 3/27 with 13.7 guaranteed. Some may feel he’s trash, but JD doesn’t. 

Fant’s starting. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He didn't say that. 

I believe he said that he wants to play LT, but that he’s played RT too, and he’ll play wherever he’s asked. Smart answer. 

It’s the same advice I give my kids in youth sports. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

No way they gave Fant $10mm to be a back up.  I just don’t buy it.

Unless they plan to keep Becton on the sideline until he learns to pass block.  Wouldn’t be a terrible move.

Man you latch onto something, even if it’s dead wrong and beat it to death.   

Did you watch Becton play?  Ever?

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, RobR said:

Isn't it about time you give up this false narrative? The guy gave up 4 sacks in three years and there is a ton of film on this site showing him passblocking on every play for multiple games.  You can even see the All-22 angles. Here is a fact for you.....he rarely gives up a sack yet you keep harping that he can't passblock. Guys that can't passblock don't give up an average of 1.3 sacks per year and then add in the fact he played in arguably the second best conference in all of college football.

Maybe back up your position and show us all of these times when he was beaten for a sack. I'll be waiting.

15F86264-BA26-4959-94C7-94444A38B962.gif

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

LT Peters

LG Becton

C McGovern

RT Fant/Edoga/Clark

Perfect except...swap Winters for Warford.  About the same money, but Warford>Winters 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Lil O said:

Perfect except...swap Winters for Warford.  About the same money, but Warford>Winters 

Yes, except Warford likely won't play on a one-year "Joe D Special"!  I think Warford wants a multi-year deal and I'm not sure if the Jets want to do that.