Curtis Martin vs current and future HOF candidates

54 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I always liked Curtis Martin, but truthfully, putting him in the same breath as Barry Sanders is an insult. Sanders is a top 5 HOF back. Martin is a bottom 5 HOF back. No one in their right mind would ever, given the choice of having Barry Sanders or Curtis Martin in their backfield, pick Martin. Nobody. For that matter the same is true for Emmit Smith and Ladanian Tomlinson, just not quite as egregious.

Just as egregious, if you're comparing prime years. From 1991-1995, Emmitt averaged 1604 yards rushing, 104 ypg, and 17 rushing TDs per year.  Martin only had 1 year in his career with more rushing yards and YPG than that average (1,697/106.1 in 2004, at 31 years old!), and never had more rushing TDs (14 was his career high). The average of Martin's 5 best years in each category (not 5 consecutive years, not even the same 5 years for each stat) is 1494 yards (203 fewer than Emmitt's best 5 years), 95ypg (9 fewer) and 59 rushing TDs (26 fewer than Emmitt's 5 year period, and 30 fewer than Emmitt's best 5 TD years). There's really no comparison at all.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I always liked Curtis Martin, but truthfully, putting him in the same breath as Barry Sanders is an insult. Sanders is a top 5 HOF back. Martin is a bottom 5 HOF back. No one in their right mind would ever, given the choice of having Barry Sanders or Curtis Martin in their backfield, pick Martin. Nobody. For that matter the same is true for Emmit Smith and Ladanian Tomlinson, just not quite as egregious.

I agree with you.  Not even Curtis Martin would say he was as good as Barry Sanders or Emmit Smith.  

Curtis Martin you got to give credit to though.  He had the heart of a lion, and never ever quit at any time.  He was a warrior and much deserving of the HOF moniker.  He didn't fumble, and made yards on his own, even when the offensive line wasn't so good.

• Upvote 2

Curtis Martin is one of my all-time favorite Jets.  Great player, great human being.  But he's not quite in the class of those other guys.  He's close, but not quite.  He was versatile, his numbers are very good.....but in my opinion Curtis' greatest attributes were his consistency and reliability.  He wouldn't blow you away with speed, he wasn't as shifty as Barry or LT, but he was resilient, rarely hurt, and rarely fumbled.  That's what coaches and fans loved about him.  He was very good at so many things, but didn't really blow you away with one thing in particular....and that's fine.  He also didn't get to play in an offense like Emmitt did all those years with a HoF OLine, although the Jets were above average those years with Mawae, Brandon Moore, etc.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

yep.  sanders was amazing.  he carried the lions.  martin is somewhat like franco harris and, imo, harris wouldn't be in the hof except for that catch.  maybe more like marcus allen.

14 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree with you.  Not even Curtis Martin would say he was as good as Barry Sanders or Emmit Smith.  

Curtis Martin you got to give credit to though.  He had the heart of a lion, and never ever quit at any time.  He was a warrior and much deserving of the HOF moniker.  He didn't fumble, and made yards on his own, even when the offensive line wasn't so good.

Put Curtis behind that Dallas OL in those years.  I mean Blair Thomas would run for 1000 yards a year.  Emmitt was good just never felt he was ll that he was souped up to be.  Brown, Campbell top two RB's ever.  Jim Brown told Earl's kid: There's me and then your dad.  And after that, put who you want.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Put Curtis behind that Dallas OL in those years.  I mean Blair Thomas would run for 1000 yards a year.

Talk about the opposite of Curtis Martin.  Blair Thomas had every bit as much talent as Curtis Martin did, but where Curtis Martin had the heart of a lion, Blair Thomas had the heart of a lamb.  IMO, the biggest bust in the history of the Jets, along with that linebacker we picked up with the 6th pick that one year, I forget his name.  Another guy with a heart of a lamb.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jetworks said:

Tomlinson is a criminally underrated all-around back. 

He was AMAZING.   He had some seasons wasted on absolute crap teams, well over 1200 total touches in his first 3 years.  That is an insane workload.  His 3rd year in the league he had 100 receptions to go with over 300 carries, the guy could do it all.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Alka said:

Talk about the opposite of Curtis Martin.  Blair Thomas had every bit as much talent as Curtis Martin did, but where Curtis Martin had the heart of a lion, Blair Thomas had the heart of a lamb.  IMO, the biggest bust in the history of the Jets, along with that linebacker we picked up with the 6th pick that one year, I forget his name.  Another guy with a heart of a lamb.

Good ole Vern the ghost at 6

it was still only 2.4 per game and as large as it was due to longevity ... but I had no idea that Emmitt had even close to 500 catches for 3000+ yards to take his totals over 20k yards from scrimmage

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

yep.  sanders was amazing.  he carried the lions.  martin is somewhat like franco harris and, imo, harris wouldn't be in the hof except for that catch.  maybe more like marcus allen.

I believe when Franco retired he was #3 all time in rushing yards.   He had the catch, he had a SB MVP, he was the #1 facet of that offense when the Steelers won their first 2 Super Bowls.

10 minutes ago, ljr said:

it was still only 2.4 per game and as large as it was due to longevity ... but I had no idea that Emmitt had even close to 500 catches for 3000+ yards to take his totals over 20k yards from scrimmage

1992, if you include the playoffs, Emmitt had a total of 444 rushing attempts.  

Not only did he have 20K yards from scrimmage, he added in another 1928 total yard in 17 career playoff games, with another 21 total touchdowns.  He is not the best runner I ever seen, but his durability and big game ability is amazing.

• Post of the Week 1

On 5/12/2020 at 5:16 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Shonn Greene then.

Really thought he was gonna be something.  Was really solid in those two playoff runs, especially 2009.  Game turned in Indy in the AFCCG when he went down early in the third quarter.  Just not conisstent enough over a full 16 game schedule to thirve as a true feature back.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

While I loved Barry's highlights he was quite often tackled for a loss, as exciting at it was you can't run an offence like that. The OL never knew which way he would go.

• Upvote 1