Is everyone in denial?

There isn't going to be an NFL season, right? How could there be?

LA is on lockdown through July. Are all of the Rams and Chargers going to be tested? How can training camps start?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm done. Starting back up with my hookers this weekend.  Life must go on.

The mentality that we can just quarantine for the rest of our lives is ridiculous. Things have to be done wisely but this economy has to re-start

If people think the NFL (owners/players) is going to leave all that TV money on the table, they're crazy

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

If people think the NFL (owners/players) is going to leave all
that TV money on the table, they're crazy

Absolutely ! Monet talks , that's the bottom line. I remember Mike Florio from PFT,  stating that the NFL would be making the biggest mistake ever and would ruin the NFL forever if they held free agency. How'd that work out? He said basically the same thing about the NFL draft yet they forged ahead and it was fine. I'm getting tired of all the "No NFL Season at all" Negative Nancys.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Unless there’s a vaccine by October there’s no way the nfl season goes the way Goodell and the owners want it

theres no way with this virus you can play home games with fans in places like Green Bay, Chicago and the Northeast

• Upvote 2

Its not likely to happen, unless they decide to move teams.  All of the states are not going to be reopened in the same fashion at the same time.  There are going to be restrictions in some places for years.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Dcronin said:

LA is on lockdown through July. Are all of the Rams and Chargers going to be tested? How can training camps start?

Denial is the first step in the grieving stages

• Upvote 1
Just now, KRL said:

Those other leagues combined WISH they had the contract the NFL does

Ok but not really up the nfl. Up to governors and when California is already nixing sports we have a problem Houston 

5 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Nope.  Expecting games to be played in empty staduims but will not be the least bit surprised if players object and there's no season at all.

Just looking forward to it and hoping they play.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, KRL said:

If people think the NFL (owners/players) is going to leave all
that TV money on the table, they're crazy

Other side of the coin....they go ahead and try to play, the first player who contracts the virus and dies due to football related activities, they are going to lose a lot more than one year of revenue.

• Upvote 4

The NFL TV contract is so good that they will make money without a single fan in
the stands.  I understand that the players will/should be concerned with their
safety but how many of them will give up their salaries?  Particularly after
being quarantined for almost half a year.  You think the big time QB's will just
"spoof off" their 30+ million dollar salaries?  I've adjusted without sports
so I'm fine either way, but let's not just blow off economic factors

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

How I think this all goes down

a) nfl announces no fan policy shortly 

b) players union reluctantly agrees under all safety protocols

c) week 2 of said season some random player gets the virus 

d) he and most of his team is forced to quarantine 

e) players union gets upset, media starts trashing nfl, political pressures grows 

f) some players refuse to play 

g) said fanless season is canceled around week 3 or 4

• Upvote 3

de nile is a river in africa.  the main problem is the media has scared the bejesus out of everyone and it's going to take and effort to reel everyone back in.  the nfl playing will play because they will be needed to improve the outlook of the country.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Confused 1

When Covid again spikes in about 8-10 weeks from premature openings or just plain American citizen ignorance/stubbornness, then we will see what the NFL does.    There will be no training camp until at least the fall.  I think we will see a greatly reduced schedule if at all and it wouldn't start until late October - November at the earliest.  In reality, I don't think you will see NFL for quite some time.  

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

The NFL TV contract is so good that they will make money without a single fan in
the stands.  I understand that the players will/should be concerned with their
safety but how many of them will give up their salaries?  Particularly after
being quarantined for almost half a year.  You think the big time QB's will just
"spoof off" their 30+ million dollar salaries?  I've adjusted without sports
so I'm fine either way, but let's not just blow off economic factors

Add to that these players careers have a limited shelf life. Do you think a bottom of the roster player will agree to lose $450k on the chance he may get the virus....of which 90% recover from?? You play the % for the sake of your family.

Like every American family has to decide for themselves.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

When Covid again spikes in about 8-10 weeks from premature openings or just plain American citizen ignorance/stubbornness, then we will see what the NFL does.    There will be no training camp until at least the fall.  I think we will see a greatly reduced schedule if at all and it wouldn't start until late October - November at the earliest.  In reality, I don't think you will see NFL for quite some time.  

Ok Nostrodomus. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 2

If California is shut down for all or part of the season, Cali teams will play elsewhere.

There was a breakdown of the schedule done and it was likely planned this way. 

SF can play all their games in Arizona with no conflicts with the Cards.

Rams can play in Dallas with only one conflict to figure out and the Chargers can play in Vegas, also with only one conflict to figure out.

In fact, the Raiders, Rams and Chargers could all play their schedules in the Vegas stadium with only three weeks of conflicts that could be avoided by scheduling a 2nd west coast monday night game, like they do in week 1.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/10/could-las-vegas-host-both-l-a-teams/

There may not be fans in any of these games, but if any league is going to figure something out, it will be the NFL.

I'm already looking at booking a flight to Vegas for the Jets October game against the Chargers just in case the Bolts do end up in Vegas this year.  While it's only a chance, every airline is waiving cancellation and change fees so if your a regular flyer, it makes sense to take some chances.  Worst comes to worst you have an airline credit to use elsewhere.

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, KRL said:

The mentality that we can just quarantine for the rest of our lives is ridiculous.

Things have to be done wisely but this economy has to re-start

"rest of our lives"  does not equal "2020 NFL season" in the midst (not the end, but the MIDST) of a global pandemic when literally hundreds of thousands of people may be dying or becoming permanently damaged by this virus even when survive (lungs, kidneys, heart, neuro, etc).    Peple will believe whatever narrative they choose to lead to the result they want, but I just can't see how this season starts anywhere near on time if at all.

• Upvote 2
Just now, IndianaJet said:

If California is shut down for all or part of the season, Cali teams will play elsewhere.

There was a breakdown of the schedule done and it was likely planned this way. 

SF can play all their games in Arizona with no conflicts with the Cards.

Rams can play in Dallas with only one conflict to figure out and the Chargers can play in Vegas, also with only one conflict to figure out.

In fact, the Raiders, Rams and Chargers could all play their schedules in the Vegas stadium with only three weeks of conflicts that could be avoided by scheduling a 2nd west coast monday night game, like they do in week 1.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/10/could-las-vegas-host-both-l-a-teams/

There may not be fans in any of these games, but if any league is going to figure something out, it will be the NFL.

I'm already looking at booking a flight to Vegas for the Jets October game against the Chargers just in case the Bolts do end up in Vegas this year.  While it's only a chance, every airline is waiving cancellation and change fees so if your a regular flyer, it makes sense to take some chances.  Worst comes to worst you have an airline credit to use elsewhere.

Yeah, the NFL has built in these guardrails (even if they’re not publicly admitting). But California being in an indefinite lockdown, and having 3 franchises with relatively weak fanbase isn’t going to prevent the season from happening.

• Upvote 1

The NFL along with the rest of the world is going to have to take this on a day to day basis.

We have no idea right now how or when this ends, if it ever does.

They may start training camp and there is an outbreak of some kind where a team gets like 10-12 testing positive and they are going to have to shutdown.

It could happen in the regular season, playoffs, we just don't know at this point.

I really hope there is football come September but right now I just don't know.

• Upvote 4
6 hours ago, Dcronin said:

I don't  agree with this. There will be football. It won't  be business as usual  but there will be games. If the season has to start in Oct or we and we play a 12 game season instead of the new 17 game season, that is what will happen.  One thing that should happen is the cap should be frozen or even reduced for next season and players salaries  should be reduced  by a percentage that is equal to lost revenue  from TV. There should also be a fund that is paid for by owners and players for people who work at the stadiums for lost wages. Anyone that makes 3 million  a year for holding a clipboard can donate something to help a person that can't  work. 

This is not going to stop the NFL. It is too far off the norm not to have sports. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, shawn306 said:

The NFL along with the rest of the world is going to have to take this on a day to day basis.

We have no idea right now how or when this ends, if it ever does.

They may start training camp and there is an outbreak of some kind where a team gets like 10-12 testing positive and they are going to have to shutdown.

It could happen in the regular season, playoffs, we just don't know at this point.

I really hope there is football come September but right now I just don't know.

We can all understand why so many people are delusional in thinking there will be a full or even close to full NFL season.  It's what we want, but unfortunately the situation just may not improve to the point where it is feasible for 2020.  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Unless there’s a vaccine by October there’s no way the nfl season goes the way Goodell and the owners want it

theres no way with this virus you can play home games with fans in places like Green Bay, Chicago and the Northeast

Having a vaccine by Oct woukd be a minor miracle.  It isn't just discovering it but it is also producing  the billions of doses needed to be distributed.  That alone could take up to another year. That will be the next screw up like testing is now. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I don't  agree with this. There will be football. It won't  be business as usual  but there will be games. If the season has to start in Oct or we and we play a 12 game season instead of the new 17 game season, that is what will happen.  One thing that should happen is the cap should be frozen or even reduced for next season and players salaries  should be reduced  by a percentage that is equal to lost revenue  from TV. There should also be a fund that is paid for by owners and players for people who work at the stadiums for lost wages. Anyone that makes 3 million  a year for holding a clipboard can donate something to help a person that can't  work. 

This is not going to stop the NFL. It is too far off the norm not to have sports. 

It all depends on whether or not any re-opening results in spiking numbers of Covid cases and deaths.  Not looking great in other countries at the moment.  It will take a few months for it to be figured out.  But don't be surprised when the NFL makes a decision that may very likely go the other way.  There are so many fans are just in abject denial.  We'll see... but don't be surprised when the reality hits.

• Like 1

The MLB and NBA are both trending toward returning, which would happen prior to the NFL starting.

If those things are true, which as of this morning they are, why would anyone assume the NFL wouldn't have a season?

• Upvote 3
26 minutes ago, KRL said:

The mentality that we can just quarantine for the rest of our lives is ridiculous.

Things have to be done wisely but this economy has to re-start

This has nothing to do with restarting the economy and are you trying to get this thread closed?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Confused 2
1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The MLB and NBA are both trending toward returning, which would happen prior to the NFL starting.

If those things are true, which as of this morning they are, why would anyone assume the NFL wouldn't have a season?

Because where re-opening is happening are seeing spikes.  If there are few or no spikes, then it could be a go.  If deadly spikes continue with reopening, then it will not be a go.  Too soon to tell and silly to assume anything concrete yet.  

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

We can all understand why so many people are delusional in thinking there will be a full or even close to full NFL season.  It's what we want, but unfortunately the situation just may not improve to the point where it is feasible for 2020.  

This is the kind of post that irks me.  You call people delusional in one sentence, then essentially say you "may not" improve in the next sentence, which implies you don't know either.  So are you delusional making assumptions when you don't really know either?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3