Is everyone in denial?

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It all depends on whether or not any re-opening results in spiking numbers of Covid cases and deaths.  Not looking great in other countries at the moment.  It will take a few months for it to be figured out.  But don't be surprised when the NFL makes a decision that may very likely go the other way.  There are so many fans are just in abject denial.  We'll see... but don't be surprised when the reality hits.

It ultimately may come to that but there has to be a plan to open.  

The idea that we're going to have a "normal" football season as the NFL is currently "planning" for is obviously ridiculous. There is basically 0% chance that happens unless a cure/vaccine is magically developed within the next two months.

But with months and months to prepare I have a really hard time imagining they won't have contingency upon contingency prepared to play some kind of football season this fall. There's just too much money at stake. Stadiums will likely be empty, some may be played at neutral sites (I could see California and NJ unwilling to host games) etc. but I just don't see how they won't find a way. The demand will be higher than ever.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Because where re-opening is happening are seeing spikes.  If there are few or no spikes, then it could be a go.  If deadly spikes continue with reopening, then it will not be a go.  Too soon to tell and silly to assume anything concrete yet.  

What is silly is to assume there will be little to no spikes.  Do you think the lockdown was meant to eradicate the virus?  I think every single person that has been paying attention knows there will be spikes once things reopen.  

The question will be do given communities or states have the resources to handle them.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

If people think the NFL (owners/players) is going to leave all
that TV money on the table, they're crazy

Lawsuits are going to be piling up for many corporations. What makes you think the NFL will take part of the fiasco?  

Thumbs down on a realistic thread shows the level of immaturity from some posters.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What is silly is to assume there will be little to no spikes.  Do you think the lockdown was meant to eradicate the virus?  I think every single person that has been paying attention knows there will be spikes once things reopen.  

The question will be do given communities or states have the resources to handle them.

There's also a lot more testing available and a lot more information on the virus and what to do if you test positive. Living with it being there is going to be the new reality.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I don’t see a season not happening. I’m guessing it’ll be condensed though. 

The worse case scenario I see is the country shutting down again in November/December and then having to play without crowds. 

If we close a second time, the great depression will seem like a holiday. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Dcronin said:

There isn't going to be an NFL season, right? How could there be?

LA is on lockdown through July. Are all of the Rams and Chargers going to be tested? How can training camps start?

If they play baseball this year- and have no issues- the NFL will play.

Somehow, Somewhere, with or without fans in the seats.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is the kind of post that irks me.  You call people delusional in one sentence, then essentially say you "may not" improve in the next sentence, which implies you don't know either.  So are you delusional making assumptions when you don't really know either?

fact: Covid is spiking around the world where re-opening has been attempted.

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It ultimately may come to that but there has to be a plan to open.  

agreed. But they are proposing it as if it's definite.  Just look at the reactions on this board.  Total denial.

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The idea that we're going to have a "normal" football season as the NFL is currently "planning" for is obviously ridiculous. There is basically 0% chance that happens unless a cure/vaccine is magically developed within the next two months.

But with months and months to prepare I have a really hard time imagining they won't have contingency upon contingency prepared to play some kind of football season this fall. There's just too much money at stake. Stadiums will likely be empty, some may be played at neutral sites (I could see California and NJ unwilling to host games) etc. but I just don't see how they won't find a way. The demand will be higher than ever.

The thing is stadiums don't  have to be empty.  You can have fans in stadiums more than 6 feet apart. People sti) go to supermarkets and they manage to keep people safely  distanced. People are alos being smart and not bunching up on their own. 

37 minutes ago, Dcat said:

"rest of our lives"  does not equal "2020 NFL season" in the midst (not the end, but the MIDST) of a global pandemic when literally hundreds of thousands of people may be dying or becoming permanently damaged by this virus even when survive (lungs, kidneys, heart, neuro, etc).    Peple will believe whatever narrative they choose to lead to the result they want, but I just can't see how this season starts anywhere near on time if at all.

They had Woodstock during a pandemic. j/s

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If there are spikes, those states will be pressured to back off. If it's  a slight rise, that will be acceptable. A spike means what you are doing isn't  working.

26 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

The NFL along with the rest of the world is going to have to take this on a day to day basis.

We have no idea right now how or when this ends, if it ever does.

They may start training camp and there is an outbreak of some kind where a team gets like 10-12 testing positive and they are going to have to shutdown.

It could happen in the regular season, playoffs, we just don't know at this point.

I really hope there is football come September but right now I just don't know.

This is pretty much exactly the case. Nobody really knows and it’s subject to change at any time. Only thing to do is hope it does and be ready for the disappointment if it doesn’t. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

fact: Covid is spiking around the world where re-opening has been attempted.

Which I already explained in a previous post is not an eye opening revelation.  You seem to be thinking these decisions or future plans are being made with assumptions that this thing is gone.  I don't think that's the case.  I think everyone is well aware this is going to be around for quite awhile yet.

Just so it's  clear, I'm not at all an "we must open up at all costs" type of person.  I won't be going back into my office until July.  My kids haven't been to school or daycare in months and won't be going back very soon.  Those things don't limit my ability to see that whether I like it or not, things are going to open back up.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There's also a lot more testing available and a lot more information on the virus and what to do if you test positive. Living with it being there is going to be the new reality.

Let me tell you about testing from someone who went through it recently. It is a disaster.  You can get a test but it took almost a full month to get results. By that time I could have had the virus and been hospitalized if I did have it. Thankfully the results were negative. 

This test where you get results in 15 minutes is only available to the White House it seems because nobody I know who was tested even in the last few weeks got that. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me tell you about testing from soneone who went through ot recently. It is a disaster.  You can get a teast but it took almost a full month to get results. By that time I could have had the virus and been hospitalized if I did have it. Thankfully the results were negative. 

This test where you get results in 15 minutes is only available to the White House it seems because nobody I know who was tested even in the last few weeks got that. 

That wasn't my experience and I was tested a month ago when things were much crazier.  We called and set up an appointment for 2 days later, we got the results within 5 days.  It was pretty easy. 

• Upvote 1

LA is on lockdown through July. Are all of the Rams and Chargers going to be tested? How can training camps start?

Have camp where theyre allowed to meet?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The thing is stadiums don't  have to be empty.  You can have fans in stadiums more than 6 feet apart. People sti) go to supermarkets and they manage to keep people safely  distanced. People are alos being smart and not bunching up on their own. 

Jets games are nearly sold out every week.  Mostly by season ticket holders.

Who's going to tell who to stay home?  

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Georgia's numbers don't  mean anything. Are yu actually thinking people are going to restaurants, movie theaters, bowling, and getting tattoos now?

This is the type of nonsense that looks silly. The constant goalpost moving. Their numbers dont mean anything? Why's that? When will the numbers mean something? When they turn bad again? And yes, people are absolutely eating out at restaurants. Florida has let them open at 25% and they were packed this past weekend, especially with outdoor seating. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That wasn't my experience and I was tested a month ago when things were much crazier.  We called and set up an appointment for 2 days later, we got the results within 5 days.  It was pretty easy. 

What color is your house? 

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That is absurd. I was able to get a test the same day I called by going to Pro Health and the wait wasn't  long but i called every day for results and after 3 weeks of calling a Dr. finally called me at about 8 PM on a Friday night and told me results were negative.  Do you live in NY?

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is the type of nonsense that looks silly. The constant goalpost moving. Their numbers dont mean anything? Why's that? When will the numbers mean something? When they turn bad again? And yes, people are absolutely eating out at restaurants. Florida has let them open at 25% and they were packed this past weekend, especially with outdoor seating. 

I don't  know who you are talking to in Fl. But I just spoke to my Mom yesterday  who lives in West Palm and she said nothing that had opened is packed and barely anyone is leaving there homes. 

If you look at the type of businesses  that opened in Ga., none of them are essential and most were independently owned businesses.  This seemed on the surface to be just opening something for the sake of opening it

I mean the fact LA is locked down for another 3 months but the rest of California is starting to reopen makes zeo sense. Even NY and NJ are starting to reopen and we have been bot worse than anyone else. 

I think football happens at some point.

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

That is absurd. I was able to get a test the same day I called by going to Pro Health and the wait wasn't  long but i called every day for results and after 3 weeks of calling a Dr. finally called me at about 8 PM on a Friday night and told me results were negative.  Do you live in NY?

Yes I live in NY, in Westchester County.  we did it through a mobile testing site at a local hospital.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  know who you are talking to in Fl. But I just spoke to my Mom yesterday  who lives in West Palm and she said nothing that had opened is packed and barely anyone is leaving there homes. 

If you look at the type of businesses  that opened in Ga., none of them are essential and most were independently owned businesses.  This seemed on the surface to be just opening something for the sake of opening it

I live in Florida. Tampa has closed off streets to allow outdoor seating. Places were busy. 

As far as your Georgia point the state is open. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So do you think regular season games will be played in front of crowds in Green Bay in December without a vaccine?

3 hours ago, KRL said:

If people think the NFL (owners/players) is going to leave all
that TV money on the table, they're crazy

Ive been paying close attention to the NBA, just because they are kind  of "first" in this whole sports thing and also only have 12 players plus staff to manage.

2 weeks ago the NBA was optimistic about starting up.  The owners individual, local TV contracts get paid in full at 70 games and all teams have played between 63-67 games to date, so it would be very easy to get to 70 and get the owners paid.

Now this week, its not looking as good.  Players are apprehensive about playing - likely because they have already received most of their 2020 money.  Then you get into the discussion of what happens if a player tests positive - do they go home for 2 weeks?  Is the whole team tested daily (75+ tests per day for an NFL team), or what if 10 players from one game are positive - does that team have to shut it down?

The NFL has a huge revenue opportunity if they can dominate both saturday and sunday all fall if college football doesnt happen (which I can't see how it will).  So there is tremendous incentive to do this, but its not going to be easy

3 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

I mean the fact LA is locked down for another 3 months but the rest of California is starting to reopen makes zeo sense. Even NY and NJ are starting to reopen and we have been bot worse than anyone else. 

I think football happens at some point.

If they try to play the season like normal without a vaccine it will get cancelled midway through

ofcourse by then the jets will be 1-6 again so who cares