Is everyone in denial?

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The top players in the league had a call yesterday and said they want to play.  Who are the players that don't want to play?

Unless the owners agree the nba season is over

Without gate receipts how are the nba owners going to pay these nba players?  The NBA was losing a lot of money before coronavirus 

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is the kind of post that irks me.  You call people delusional in one sentence, then essentially say you "may not" improve in the next sentence, which implies you don't know either.  So are you delusional making assumptions when you don't really know either?

Exactly, and people who blindly parrot what they hear TV often know the least, but are often the loudest.

Dunning -Kruger effect - Tim Fidgeon

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The virus has already shown it can thrive in warmer temperatures.  I really don't  understand this warm weather thing you are putting forward or has it been cold in Fl. Since Jan.? there were parts of China where it was 90 and they people getting sick when this first started. Nobody is even putting forward this warm weather thing anymore. 

It has nothing to do with heat but exposure to sunlight/UV rays and length of days that “inactivates” viruses. -most epidemiologists 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Unless the owners agree the nba season is over

Without gate receipts how are the nba owners going to pay these nba players?  The NBA was losing a lot of money before coronavirus 

There will not be fans in the stands at least early on for any of these sports so that's not an issue.  They also make money from televising games.  They are discussing many options but they all want to play.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

There will not be fans in the stands at least early on for any of these sports so that's not an issue.  They also make money from televising games.  They are discussing many options but they all want to play.

The tv money goes to the networks who paid for licensing and broadcast rights

I think nfl and mlb seasons happen.  NBA is a mess 

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It has nothing to do with heat but exposure to sunlight/UV rays and length of days that “inactivates” viruses. -most epidemiologists 

Correct, and when it's warmer out people get more exposure to UV rays. I don't know why people can't figure this out other than the news pushing the end times.

1 minute ago, OCCH23 said:

And hundreds of thousands would still die (like the flu).  So when/how does this "end"?

It doesn't end... People develop an immunity to it like any other disease that doesn't just disappear. It becomes part of the norm. We develop testing and treatment and life goes on. This isn't going to have a happy ending where your favorite news channel tells you it's officially over never to be seen again. Nothing will be eradicated for good as it doesn't work like that. This is relatively normal it's just that the virus is 'new'.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think most if not all are limited to 25% capacity.

For Texas, this is correct. We are open at 25% capacity (rural areas with little to no cases at 50%).

The big thing to watch in the South is when churches are allowed to open. Lots of churches down here are massive. Our pastor said the governor has been in contact with all churches. My specific church is planning to reopen in June at limited capacity. They are doing practice runs over the next 2 weeks to make sure all the logistics are buttoned down. I have to imagine most of us will continue to watch service online though. But this will give us an idea of the effect of reopening stadiums. 

• Upvote 1

Canty and DiPietro just had a fascinating conversation about how to get the players back on the field and both guys (former pros who have been through work stoppages) said that, basically, the players will get back on the field if/when owners find the dollar figure that players will find acceptable to take the risk. Pretty awesome couple of segments, really. Canty is usually a drip, but he actually woke up for this conversation. Both said that the owners would just squeeze the players as hard as they could because they had a lot less to lose, and that players would eventually buckle. 

Nobody can predict the future on this. not even the almighty so callled experts and scientists. 

the CDC WHO and Fauci were saying things before April such as:

”the virus cannot spread from human-to-human contact”

”the virus is not a threat to the rest of the world”

”the the Chinese are doing a good job containing the virus”

”masks do very little to stop the spread”

they predicted wrong and very wrong about the virus in the past. 
Predictions are opinions. Not facts. 

anyways I think not having football will be the least of our problems. It’s just my opinion, but i think in November 2020 there will be Political chaos that we have never seen before

• Upvote 2

The good news is the MLB/NBA/NHL will try to start their leagues before the NFL and we'll see what comes of it. Once a member of a team pops for COVID and they can either identify it before hand or after it has exploded to the rest of the team will be key.

UFC 249 went on as planned even after a fighter tested positive

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Let me tell you about testing from someone who went through it recently. It is a disaster.  You can get a test but it took almost a full month to get results. By that time I could have had the virus and been hospitalized if I did have it. Thankfully the results were negative. 

This test where you get results in 15 minutes is only available to the White House it seems because nobody I know who was tested even in the last few weeks got that. 

My wife got antibody test Monday afternoon and had results Tuesday am

Your results may vary...

BTW, the overwhelming majority of professional athletes would be able to recover from the virus with no problem. Most of the serious cases are those with underlying conditions, and more so - people over 45. 95% of deaths have been people over 45 years old and most of them had underlying conditions.

9 hours ago, Dcronin said:

There isn't going to be an NFL season, right? How could there be?

LA is on lockdown through July. Are all of the Rams and Chargers going to be tested? How can training camps start?

CONCEPT3FULLVISOR?$large$

The NFL and NHL have an advantage because of their extensive headgear.  They will develop a full acrylic face shield that can accept N95 cartridges.  Think of this NHL example with all the vents gone and a spot for the N95 cartridge. This will control droplets markedly and allow for close contact in a safe manner.  If a player is sloppy and tests positive before warmups, he will be suspended for 2 weeks and tested again at that time.

Coaches and trainers will wear N95 masks.  Referees will wear hockey helmets with that same full acrylic face shield and N95 cartridges the NHL will wear.

Cities that are on lockdown like LA, NJ (probably), and several others will play to empty stadiums.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

The NFL TV contract is so good that they will make money without a single fan in
the stands.  I understand that the players will/should be concerned with their
safety but how many of them will give up their salaries?  Particularly after
being quarantined for almost half a year.  You think the big time QB's will just
"spoof off" their 30+ million dollar salaries?  I've adjusted without sports
so I'm fine either way, but let's not just blow off economic factors

They will absolutely crawl across the finish line and finish out the season.

Just do it with empty arenas and get ready for 2021 full houses.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The NFL and NHL have an advantage because of their extensive headgear.  They will develop a full face shield that can accept N95 cartridges.  This will control droplets markedly and allow for close contact in a safe manner.  If a player is sloppy and tests positive before warmups, he will be suspended for 2 weeks and tested again at that time.

Coaches and trainers will wear masks like we do.  Referees will wear hockey helmets with that same full face shield and N95 cartridges the NHL will wear.

Cities that are on lockdown like LA, NJ (probably), and several others will play to empty stadiums.

SAR I

The commissioner has said ALL must be equal on the competition front, so if California wont allow fans but Florida will, I assume there will be a no fan policy for the NFL. Crowd Noise can be an advantage for a team 

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Canty and DiPietro just had a fascinating conversation about how to get the players back on the field and both guys (former pros who have been through work stoppages) said that, basically, the players will get back on the field if/when owners find the dollar figure that players will find acceptable to take the risk. Pretty awesome couple of segments, really. Canty is usually a drip, but he actually woke up for this conversation. Both said that the owners would just squeeze the players as hard as they could because they had a lot less to lose, and that players would eventually buckle. 

NFL players always do.

30 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Some of them, but not all of them. Science like religion can be manipulated to bamboozle the slow people. Scientists can be political and greedy too.

Of course it/they can and in fact they do (See Fauci with respect to hius econoomic interests around the time of HIV).  But do we believe that scientists are in the process of "bamboozling" us all right now in the midst of this crisis?  If so, then whoever those bamboozlers may be, they should roast in Hell.

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

BTW, the overwhelming majority of professional athletes would be able to recover from the virus with no problem. Most of the serious cases are those with underlying conditions, and more so - people over 45. 95% of deaths have been people over 45 years old and most of them had underlying conditions.

Except the 1% that have random strokes. Imagine that ends up being mahomes.