What was the greatest post-merger (1970) draft pick in Jets history?

What was the greatest post-merger (1970) Jets draft pick in franchise history?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What was the greatest post-merger (1970) Jets draft pick in franchise history?

• C Joe Fields (Rd 14, # 349 overall - 1975)
    • DL Joe Klecko (Rd 6, # 144 overall - 1977)
    • LB Mo Lewis (Rd 3, # 63 overall - 1991)
    • DE Mark Gastineau (Rd 2, # 41 overall - 1979)
    • LB David Harris (Rd 2, # 47 overall - 2007)
    • CB Darrelle Revis (Rd 1, # 14 overall - 2007)
    • DE John Abraham (Rd 1, # 13 overall - 2000)
    • FB/RB John Riggins (Rd 1, # 6 overall - 1971)
    • CB James Hasty (Rd 3, # 74 overall - 1988)
    • RT Marvin Powell (Rd 1, # 4 overall - 1977)
    • WR Wesley Walker (Rd 2, # 33 overall - 1977)
    • G Dan Alexander (Rd 8, # 200 overall - 1977)
    • WR Laveranues Coles (Rd 3, # 78 overall - 2000)
    • C Nick Mangold (Rd 1, # 29 overall - 2006)
    • DE Hugh Douglas (Rd 1, # 16 overall - 1995)
    • CB Aaron Glenn (Rd 1, # 12 overall - 1994)
    • OTHER

Just now, RobR said:

You're beyond pathetic. I used to enjoy some of your posts and inquisitiveness when you started posting but now you've shown your true colors to not only myself but everyone on this board. You're basically the new Tex, and if you're wondering, that's not a compliment.

LOL

This is the second time in less then a week you quoted me in a thread for no reason except to get snarky, and both times you've ended up getting all emotional on me.

Tell you what... next time you decide you want to get snarky, I won't reply back. That way you can enjoy your "internet win" on the couch and feel all proud of yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What a haul that 1977 draft was.  Powell in the 1st, Walker in the 2nd, Scott Dierking in the 4th, Klecko in the 6th and Alexander in the 8th.  

Probably best in Jets history.

I'm hoping JD's draft haul...can at least be in the debate...when we look at it a few years down the road. 

As others have said, it's Klecko, Revis and Fields as the top 3.

Hard to just pick one - it's like being asked to pick which of your children you like the most.

This list also makes me wish that James Hasty had been a Jet for longer. Loved his game, and he had a really good career - not enough of it as a Jet.

Revis peak career value.  I remember there was about about a three year period I thought he was maybe playing more effectively than any defense player had ever done.

Riggins total  career value:  protottype durable big back, HOFer.  Not going to give us credit for utilizing him best but we did draft him.  

Could easily put Klecko in here as well.  Not keeping sack totals his first five years feels like a total kick to the nuts.  He was one of the greatest defensive players of his time (in a era that was chock full of great defensive players.)

• Upvote 1

I will keep saying this - Klecko was not even the best player on the Jets DL.  Mark had more sacks, more 1st team All-Pro and more All-Pros total.

Plus, I watched almost every single one of those games ( I missed one when I got my knee surgery).  Klecko was great.  He was nowhere near as good as Mark.

1 hour ago, GKnight83 said:

I will keep saying this - Klecko was not even the best player on the Jets DL.  Mark had more sacks, more 1st team All-Pro and more All-Pros total.

Plus, I watched almost every single one of those games ( I missed one when I got my knee surgery).  Klecko was great.  He was nowhere near as good as Mark.

Yes but we got Klecko in Rd 6 and Gastineau in Rd 2.  Hence why there's a debate to be had on which pick was the better one.

Though based on the poll results there really isn't a debate.  Klecko has 36 votes, Gastineau 1.  

On 5/13/2020 at 4:23 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

The contenders:

• C Joe Fields (Rd 14, # 349 overall - 1975):  Spent the first 13 of his 14-year career as a Jet (155 starts).  2x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • DL Joe Klecko (Rd 6, # 144 overall - 1977):  Spent the first 11 years of his 12-year career as a Jet (145 starts).  4x Pro Bowler, 2x First Team All-Pro.
  • LB Mo Lewis (Rd 3, # 63 overall - 1991):  Spent his entire 13-year career as a Jet (199 starts).  3x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • DE Mark Gastineau (Rd 2, # 41 overall - 1979):  Spent his entire 10-year career as a Jet (107 starts).  5x Pro Bowler, 3x First Team All-Pro.
  • LB David Harris (Rd 2, # 47 overall - 2007):  Spent the first 10 years of his 11-year career as a Jet (147 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances.
  • CB Darrelle Revis (Rd 1, # 14 overall - 2007):  Spent 8 seasons of 11 year-career as a Jet (108 starts).  5x Pro Bowler, 3x First Team All-Pro.
  • DE John Abraham (Rd 1, # 13 overall - 2000):  Spent 6 seasons of his 15-year career as a Jet (64 starts).  3x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • FB/RB John Riggins (Rd 1, # 6 overall - 1971):  Spent 5 seasons of his 14-year career as a Jet (58 starts).  1x Pro Bowler.
  • CB James Hasty (Rd 3, # 74 overall - 1988):  Spent 7 seasons of his 14-year career as a Jet (111 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.
  • RT Marvin Powell (Rd 1, # 4 overall - 1977):  Spent 9 seasons of his 11-year career as a Jet (130 starts).  5x Pro Bowler, 3x First Team All-Pro.
  • WR Wesley Walker (Rd 2, # 33 overall - 1977):  Spent his full 13-year career as a Jet (129 starts).  2x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All-Pro.
  • G Dan Alexander (Rd 8, # 200 overall - 1977):  Spent his full 13-year career as a Jet (183 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.
  • WR Laveranues Coles (Rd 3, # 78 overall - 2000):  Spent 7 seasons of his 10-year career as a Jet (93 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.
  • C Nick Mangold (Rd 1, # 29 overall - 2006):  Spent his full 11-year career as a Jet (164 starts).  7x Pro Bowler, 2x First Team All-Pro.
  • DE Hugh Douglas (Rd 1, # 16 overall - 1995):  Spent 3 seasons of his 10-year career as a Jet (28 starts).  No Pro Bowl or First Team All-Pro appearances as a Jet.  
  • CB Aaron Glenn (Rd 1, # 14 overall - 1994):  Spent 8 seasons of his 15-year career as a Jet (120 starts).  2x Pro Bowler.

It's Revis, but dear god can it please be Darnold?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes but we got Klecko in Rd 6 and Gastineau in Rd 2.  Hence why there's a debate to be had on which pick was the better one.

Though based on the poll results there really isn't a debate.  Klecko has 36 votes, Gastineau 1.  

+1 Klecko being a beast and a all around player allowed Gastineau to thrive as a sack artist.

6 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It's Revis, but dear god can it please be Darnold?

Hell, I'd settle for Darnold being top 10 or 15 on a list like this.  The fact that I couldn't identify a single worthy candidate for this poll in any draft from 2008 to present was just plain sad. 

Imagine being a Jets fan in 2007 and being told we wouldn't have a single great draft pick for at least the next 12 years?  If Darnold and at least 2 players from JD's first draft don't make it onto a poll like this in 2025, we're f**ked.  But then we're Jets fans, what else is new?

On 5/13/2020 at 10:10 PM, RobR said:

That's pretty damn funny because you always tag me when you're asking about a players potential or talking about the draft forum as a whole. You can't have it both ways.  

On 5/13/2020 at 10:27 PM, RobR said:

You're beyond pathetic. I used to enjoy some of your posts and inquisitiveness when you started posting but now you've shown your true colors to not only myself but everyone on this board. You're basically the new Tex, and if you're wondering, that's not a compliment.

Way back before his two "hiatuses", before he became known as the giants fan or the guy who sucks at player evaluations or the Baker stan, I called him out a couple of times on his idiocy. The guy does everything two ways, and neither of them right. The best part is that he knows I caught onto him a long time ago and kept getting stuck in corners when I'd call him on stuff, so he's stopped acknowledging my posts - which honestly is such a great pleasure to have back and has made JN so much more enjoyable again. 

Tex was a troll, but at least he was smart.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hell, I'd settle for Darnold being top 10 or 15 on a list like this.  The fact that I couldn't identify a single worthy candidate for this poll in any draft from 2008 to present was just plain sad. 

Imagine being a Jets fan in 2007 and being told we wouldn't have a single great draft pick for at least the next 12 years?  If Darnold and at least 2 players from JD's first draft don't make it onto a poll like this in 2025, we're f**ked.  

I don't even need to imagine. I believe we're similar ages....Remember in '08 and '09 when we still had DBrick, Mangold and Revis on rookie deals? Along with some other very solid contributors? The NFL was our oyster back then. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Easily Joe Klecko (the should be HoFer) in the 6th round. 

I don't think it's close from a talent/production plus draft value perspective. 

My 2 Favorite all time Jet players are both named Joe.. Klecko had a bar in Rockville center back in the early 80's. We were kidding him about his 40 time vs Gastineau.. He said if the QB's were 40 yds behind the line of scrimmage it would have been a problem but they are not.. B)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, TNJet said:

No Brick or Ellis on this list is a travesty.

But Coles and Douglas are?? Crap.

Douglas made 3 Pro Bowls and all pro as a Eagle but he did have 10 sacks as a rookie with 3 game starts. He pissed the Tuna off because he didn't like the Tuna's defense..

31 minutes ago, TNJet said:

No Brick or Ellis on this list is a travesty.

But Coles and Douglas are?? Crap.

That's what the "Other" option is for.  I felt that Brick and Ellis were extraaneous, because its pretty clear Abraham and Mangold, also taken in the 1st rounds of those 2000 and 2006 drafts, respectively, were better value.  Though I admit, Ellis ending up being a nearly lifetime Jet does give him a leg up over Abraham in that respect.

There's always going to be a few "snubs" on a list like this.  In the end it probably should have just been Klecko, Revis, and Other based on the poll results.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's what the "Other" option is for.  I felt that Brick and Ellis were extraaneous, because its pretty clear Abraham and Mangold, also taken in the 1st rounds of those 2000 and 2006 drafts, respectively, were better value.  Though I admit, Ellis ending up being a nearly lifetime Jet does give him a leg up over Abraham in that respect.

There's always going to be a few "snubs" on a list like this.  In the end it probably should have just been Klecko, Revis, and Other based on the poll results.

Not only that but Ellis cost a 1st and 2nd rd pick,

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Douglas made 3 Pro Bowls and all pro as a Eagle but he did have 10 sacks as a rookie with 3 game starts. He pissed the Tuna off because he didn't like the Tuna's defense..

Shaun Ellis was a probowler with high sack totals too. I know about Douglas but this is a Jet question, he was mostly a great Eagle. No way he's our best draft pick since the merger fir that reason alone. And Brick, he's only the best LT in franchise history.

3 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Way back before his two "hiatuses", before he became known as the giants fan or the guy who sucks at player evaluations or the Baker stan, I called him out a couple of times on his idiocy. The guy does everything two ways, and neither of them right. The best part is that he knows I caught onto him a long time ago and kept getting stuck in corners when I'd call him on stuff, so he's stopped acknowledging my posts - which honestly is such a great pleasure to have back and has made JN so much more enjoyable again. 

Tex was a troll, but at least he was smart.

I have no idea what you mean by "hiatuses." I've never taken one, and despite the over inflated opinion you seem to have about your debating skills, the only reason I stopped responding to you is because of the childish personal attacks you are so fond of. Just like the one above. That's never been enough to stop you from trying though, you you keep quoting me. You seem to crave my attention.

I was under the impression personal attacks are against the rules here, but apparently, for a certain few, that's not the case. They're right up your alley though, so have fun.

Now back to ignoring you....

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Shaun Ellis was a probowler with high sack totals too. I know about Douglas but this is a Jet question, he was mostly a great Eagle. No way he's our best draft pick since the merger fir that reason alone. And Brick, he's only the best LT in franchise history.

If it wasn’t for Parcells literally giving away Hugh Douglas in his prime he probably has his jersey number retired as a jet

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Not only that but Ellis cost a 1st and 2nd rd pick,

Ellis was always a solid not great player

his best seasons were 2003- 2004 but a lot of that was with Abe drawing double teams like crazy opposite him though Ellis continued to play very well in the playoffs after Abe decided to check out

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I have no idea what you mean by "hiatuses." I've never taken one, and despite the over inflated opinion you seem to have about your debating skills, the only reason I stopped responding to you is because of the childish personal attacks you are so fond of. Just like the one above. That's never been enough to stop you from trying though, you you keep quoting me. You seem to crave my attention.

I was under the impression personal attacks are against the rules here, but apparently, for a certain few, that's not the case. They're right up your alley though, so have fun.

Now back to ignoring you....

I think you're better off just ignoring me. Otherwise, I'd be happy to post the PM you sent me in November to jog your memory about the last hiatus you took. 

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I think you're better off just ignoring me. Otherwise, I'd be happy to post the PM you sent me in November to jog your memory about the last hiatus you took. 

So I just went back and looked at that PM.

I'd forgotten what it was we talked about. When you said "hiatus" earlier, I thought you were referring to me being banned, which I've never been.

I'll give you credit for taking the time to share with me what you did in that PM, and when you did it. That was very nice of you to do. Sadly, it seems things went off the rails with us somewhere, and I'm not going to try and act like none of it was my fault. I'm sure it was. You have to admit though, you haven't been totally without fault either.

I have no problem admitting if and when I'm wrong, but this whole "giants, browns fan" thing, which at first was pretty funny, has taken a nasty turn. I'll be the first to say I can understand people getting upset with my not being sold on Darnold, and I've tried to get away from talking about it as much, but I'm not going to avoid it either.

If someone disagrees with me, I'm fine with that. What I don't like is when people here get personal with me about it. That, and the piling on, gang mentality stuff is so sad coming from grown men, it's almost comical.

That's enough about this though. I'm done talking about it, it is what it is at this point.

16 hours ago, TNJet said:

Not quite Brick 3 time Pro Bowler,Winston Hill 8 time pro Bowler and Marvin Powell 5 time Pro Bowler 3 time All Pro..

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Douglas was a locker room lawyer, to boot, and continued to be so in Philly. He literally cried at practice out of frustration because he couldn’t figure out how to play OLB. 

• Haha 2