Logan Ryan going on GMFB @9:30

42 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Ryan’s stats back up his demands. I was the first one to call out Clowney. His initial demands were out of proportion to his production. He wanted top pass rusher money, and the sacks don’t support that. Very good player, but how often has he surpassed 10 sacks in a season?

Ryan’s overall production, especially last season, give him leverage. But it remains to be seen if he’ll get what he wants. 

I don’t know. Brian Poole signed for $5M. Poole was better in coverage. Ryan is the more impactful player and should be paid more. But is he twice as valuable as Poole? Seems like a lot. $7M seems about right. Another comparison is Chris Harris who got $8.5M. Last year was Logan Ryan’s best year. A guy like Harris has been playing well for years.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

She’s the only good part of the show. That show is sooooooo ******* bad it’s sometimes forces me to have to watch ESPN for a sports fix in the am. 

GMFB is really bad mainly because of Kyle and Nate (who says 'I, me, myself more than a former prez). Kay is OK and Peter Schrags has some contacts and insider info once in a while. I wouldn't watch ESPN if it was the only channel available.

4 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I don’t know. Brian Poole signed for $5M. Poole was better in coverage. Ryan is the more impactful player and should be paid more. But is he twice as valuable as Poole? Seems like a lot. $7M seems about right. Another comparison is Chris Harris who got $8.5M. Last year was Logan Ryan’s best year. A guy like Harris has been playing well for years.

It's all about the guaranteed money.  Poole only got 1 year, $5M.  But $4.5M of that is guaranteed.

• Upvote 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/logan-ryan-jets-make-sense-but-i-m-completely-open-for-business

Logan Ryan: Jets 'make sense,' but I'm 'completely open for business'

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000

Nick Shook

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Logan Ryan remains a free agent (and a hot topic on this website), and with at least one team interested in him, it sounds as if he could soon be employed again.

Or he could wait for the ideal combination of fit and finances.

The Jets are interested in Ryan, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday, and a Thursday appearance on Good Morning Football signaled Ryan might be ready to announce something. All we learned was Ryan is still open to offers from everyone not located in Nashville.

"The Jets, it makes a lot of sense. I'm from the area, I went to Rutgers, 20 minutes from there," Ryan explained when asked about a potential pairing with Gang Green. "So I'm familiar with New Jersey, I'm blue-collar, that's how I grew up. I came out of Rutgers in the third round to New England and had to do my job and I continue to do that. That would make sense for sure.

"But like I said, I'm trying to what's best for my family and everything like that. Obviously, there's a lot of rumors out there. I can't confirm any of it because I'm obviously still not signed yet. We'll see. I obviously want to get a deal done whenever, and I'm open to it. So we'll what happens there. But I'm also open to pretty much 30 other franchises, except the Titans. I'm completely open for business."

Ryan said recently he'd accept a one-year deal making the same $10 million he was earning on average in his three-year contract with the Titans, which expired after the 2019 season. At 29, Ryan is coming off a strong season and understandably wants to be compensated accordingly, or at least be afforded the opportunity to prove he is worth it after 2020. He's made the media rounds to explain his stance in the last week, so perhaps we're mere days from seeing legitimate movement on his status.

For now, though, Ryan remains a free agent who's ready to listen to pitches from 31 NFL teams.

2 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Didn't realize that he's almost 30 years old. No long term contracts for guys looking for a final deal that they will retire on. One year prove it contract is OK for 7-8 million and if Logan doesn't like that then he can go pound sand.

I don’t think “long term contract” is in Joe Douglas vocabulary. He’s the king of 1 year deals 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Didn't realize that he's almost 30 years old. No long term contracts for guys looking for a final deal that they will retire on. One year prove it contract is OK for 7-8 million and if Logan doesn't like that then he can go pound sand.

Logan Ryan proved it last season, and has been a good player dating back to the Patriots. 

I don’t think a two year deal is outrageous. He’s 29. He’ll probably play until he’s 33-34. 

With that said, whatever JD is comfortable paying is what he should do. If he doesn’t think 10 million is right, move on. 

5 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Logan Ryan proved it last season, and has been a good player dating back to the Patriots. 

I don’t think a two year deal is outrageous. He’s 29. He’ll probably play until he’s 33-34. 

With that said, whatever JD is comfortable paying is what he should do. If he doesn’t think 10 million is right, move on. 

A two year deal is not good for Ryan and I don't think he'd take it. He'd be 31 when he hits the market again and his age would really hurt him. A one year prove deal gives him the best chance at another big dollar contract. Of course, he'd sign with any team offering a 3-5 year long term with bonus money paid up front for this season, I just hope it's not the Jets.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Logan actually said in the interview with good morning football, that he’s looking for a one year deal for this year. I think his former teammate Ryan Tannehill is part of his inspiration.  Logan knows that if he plays well on a one year deal one of two things will happen, either that team will sign him to a long-term deal, or another team will.  I think he will either signed a one-year deal or if someone offered him a long-term contract, but nothing in between

14 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Odds on MacCoffee having already signed him for 5 years $50 million, $35 million guaranteed?

Personally I think we are fine at CB, but it's another case of many wanting the proven veteran

Williams wants to go heavy on nickel and dime blitzes like Rex did his first couple years but I think we already have the personnel to do this

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Makes sense. Him saying that says it all. He hasn’t gotten the offer he wants. That’s the delay. Kind of crazy that he thinks his family would be worse off with say $7M versus $10M. First world problems.

i gotta laugh when these players start talking about needing to feed or take care of their families.  if a guy like ryan hasn't taken of their welfare by now it's not likely he's going to do it in the future.  it's not like he's been a journeyman his whole career.

• Upvote 1

I'd be shocked if any team ponies up a long-term deal right now.  The cap is set to decrease substantially next season so anyone on teams will probably have to cut some very good players under previous contracts when we get there.  It would be foolish to add to that problem now, which is why all the 1-year deals.  That way they can hopefully resign them once the 2021 cap is better understood but before they hit FA.  

It's a really shyte year to be a FA in any sport with a Salary cap.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i gotta laugh when these players start talking about needing to feed or take care of their families.  if a guy like ryan hasn't taken of their welfare by now it's not likely he's going to do it in the future.  it's not like he's been a journeyman his whole career.

Just curious.  Why do so many NFL fans always usually support an NFL owner (already using public funds or tax breaks for their old stadium) ... then suddenly skip town with a huge lawsuit intact for an entire new market to pay for their new stadium?  Then have a 180 turn against an individual player and their own labor situation?

Mark Davis?  "Oh well his money doesn't come from private wealth.  It's from the Raiders.  He needs the Las Vegas hospitality tax to fund his stadium.  He had to get out of Oakland."  (Meanwhile... he screws the corporate interest in his venture that got him the concession in the first place.)

Logan Ryan?  "3 Million more?!  He shouldn't have to ask for more.  His family should be set by now!"

I see a lot more of the former than the latter.  If NFL  publicity departments are setting up all sorts of schemes to generate public support them are doing a hell of a job!

4 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Just curious.  Why do so many NFL fans always usually support an NFL owner (already using public funds or tax breaks for their old stadium) ... then suddenly skip town with a huge lawsuit intact for an entire new market to pay for their new stadium?  Then have a 180 turn against an individual player and their own labor situation?

Mark Davis?  "Oh well his money doesn't come from private wealth.  It's from the Raiders.  He needs the Las Vegas hospitality tax to fund his stadium.  He had to get out of Oakland."  (Meanwhile... he screws the corporate interest in his venture that got him the concession in the first place.)

Logan Ryan?  "3 Million more?!  He shouldn't have to ask for more.  His family should be set by now!"

I see a lot more of the former than the latter.  If NFL  publicity departments are setting up all sorts of schemes to generate public support them are doing a hell of a job!

You’re right, it’s weird. People get all bent out of shape when players want to get paid. The NFL is a multi billion dollar cooperation, the players deserve to get paid 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I always feel players should get every cent they can, I don't have issues with players wanting to get paid but fans side with owners because the owners are trying to help their teams win and less that pay for player X they can use that to get player Y.  We care about our teams, we think the owners care too and players have to care about themselves first when it comes to contract negotiations.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I always feel players should get every cent they can, I don't have issues with players wanting to get paid but fans side with owners because the owners are trying to help their teams win and less that pay for player X they can use that to get player Y.  We care about our teams, we think the owners care too and players have to care about themselves first when it comes to contract negotiations.

I just find the dichotomy weird.  It's obviously different per individual fan but I always see the narratives pop up again and again.  The NFLPA hurts themselves more than anybody else... I just wish that they had more public support sometimes.

13 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

i don't know.  i don't support the owners either.  but it just seems so foolish for the players to talk about feeding their families when they've already earned orders of magnitude than i have in my lifetime.  somehow i managed, why can't they.  and if they want more money then just say so.  that's what it's all about in the final analysis.

as for the owners,  there are a few like kraft who deserves respect for their business prowess.  that guy actually worked for his money.  same thing with jerry jones, arthur blank, and a few others.  the rest are trust babies.  it's not right to simply think they should be giving their money away but at the same time they've built quite a club for themselves and they really should need all of the tax breaks they get to keep a team in a city or build a new stadium.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't know.  i don't support the owners either.  but it just seems so foolish for the players to talk about feeding their families when they've already earned orders of magnitude than i have in my lifetime.  somehow i managed, why can't they.  and if they want more money then just say so.  that's what it's all about in the final analysis.

as for the owners,  there are a few like kraft who deserves respect for their business prowess.  that guy actually worked for his money.  same thing with jerry jones, arthur blank, and a few others.  the rest are trust babies.  it's not right to simply think they should be giving their money away but at the same time they've built quite a club for themselves and they really should need all of the tax breaks they get to keep a team in a city or build a new stadium.

I've got nothing against the guy who earned his billions.  I believe in capitalism to an extent.  That creating wealth is fine because the system around it floats so many other smaller boats as well.  But the communal discussion of "Millionaires vs Billionaires" is this constant push/pull in sports entertainment and it's sometimes hard to know which one is right.  I am not a humanitarian or an economist.  Just an American football fan.  The need for cash is good to an extent as long as its with core values and principles.

(sorry to go off topic. back to Ryan's imminent signing!)

I’ve gotta feed my family, too. 

Worst take ever. 

I believe it was Gary Sheffield who once said that when a team was offering a fair market deal to him, but came in a couple hundred thousand shy of the mega millions he was gonna get. 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t think “long term contract” is in Joe Douglas vocabulary. He’s the king of 1 year deals 

If you look at what possibility might happen to the cap next year it is very wise of him to be handing out 1 year contracts