"Red Dog" and other forgotten things football things from SBIII

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

8. Speaking of Namath, people just don't remember how freakishly good he was. Too aggressive in an era where defensive holding and pass interference essentially didint exist., sure. But I had forgotten that Namath had one of the fastest if not the fastest release in football. His arm strength was Josh Allen like minimum. Early in the game he throws a 55 yard bomb without even trying and just misses Maynard. He was accurate with the exception of an awful slant pattern. Namath is why I am a Jets fan and its interesting to be reminded how transcendent and ahead of his time he was.

Hes why I'm a Jet fan today also.  He was freakishly talented for those too few seasons where he was king.  The overlooked part of his game is that just about every play was a check with me play, called at the line by Namath after looking over the defense.  Always makes me laugh when people go overboard with all the talk of Manning being so smart because he called audibles every so often when Namath and most were calling plays, almost all of their plays, at the line.  

• Upvote 4

My favorite story about SB III.  The last week before they left for Miami a bunch of the players got into a car with Joe to go to practice.  Anyway.  They were all looking at each other and TE Pete Lammons said, "You know.  If we look at any more game film we are liable to get too self confident!"  And they all started laughing.  They already knew they were going to beat the Colts.

He was Marino, before there was a Marino... Not saying he's better than Marino, because I think he had a lot of Farve in him also with the gunslinger interceptions, but, you can see a lot of Marino's release in Namath.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

He was Marino, before there was a Marino... Not saying he's better than Marino, because I think he had a lot of Farve in him also with the gunslinger interceptions, but, you can see a lot of Marino's release in Namath.

Interesting. 

What do think his career would have been like if he never got hurt in the preseason of 71? 

37 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

He definitely was. I wonder sometimes if he can still throw the ball at all. Remember Staubach at the draft a few years ago?

What stuck out to me is Namath’s arm was as good as anyone’s is today.  He could fling it.  He only got a couple of chances to show the arm off in SB3 though, it was mostly a ball control game. 

Sauer really impressed me in that game.  He may have deserved a co-MVP.  His game was a lot like Chrebet’s, really crafty route runner.

• Upvote 1

As for the announcers using football terminology, Al DeRogatis was one of the best TV color men ever, loved watching him as a kid. He was ahead of his time, and really brought football lingo and strategy to the home viewers.

As for the Jets OL play, one of the keys to game was how Dave Herman neutralized Bubba Smith. Other than the sack he had on Namath, you didn't hear much at all from him.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Interesting. 

What do think his career would have been like if he never got hurt in the preseason of 71? 

With the way defenses were allowed to maul the QB back then, I'm not sure if it would have mattered much, but if he never hurt his knees, I'm guessing (all depends on his lifestyle which wasn't the greatest back then) that he probably would have been more productive. I believe he was one of the most sought after QB's by the defense because of how he entered the NFL. He was so talked up, I bet they had the mind set to shut him up and down if you know what I mean. Some of the hits he took would probably get that player tossed from football in today's game. TB wouldn't have been able to handle it. He'd be crying all the way back to the bench... lmao 

22 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He definitely was. I wonder sometimes if he can still throw the ball at all. Remember Staubach at the draft a few years ago?

Not sure I saw that as much as I watch the draft, my memory is nowhere what it used to be lol...

If you watch his throwing motion, and why his and Marino's release was so good, they both got taught the correct way. They never wind up and thrown the ball. I know by the time you get to the NFL, most of them don't even 2 hand it when their arm goes back, but you can tell that most of the really good QB's never bring the ball back much past their ears and the release is just instant...

On 5/14/2020 at 3:17 PM, johnnysd said:

3:58 Yeah hes wide open but perfect 50 yard bullet. I was less than a year old so don't remember this one :)

I like the red shirted zebras. Also no fans with any Jets gear. Didn’t even sell hats back then. Namath could move around pretty well back then even though he had some knee surgery already.