The circus is back in NY and it's not the Jets

I am straight up grateful that the Joe Douglas Jets (to date) seem to me to be emphasizing high character of the players they draft, as evidenced by drafting captains. 

A little nugget from this comprehensive pre-2019 Draft analysis of Deandre Baker:

In speaking to team sources, they feel that Baker's tape and talent level should have him going in the No. 10-15 range of the first round, but they believe he will slide some because he has off-the-field issues and has not interviewed well with teams during the leadup to the 2019 NFL Draft.

In this case the Giants got burned by just about the worst case scenario of a character issue - that Baker was a first rounder they traded up for... well, they have no one to kick but themselves.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

9 minutes ago, deucebag said:

I'm guessing he has a gambling problem, read he lost $70K in a poker game last week.

So you then pull off an armed robbery of others who were not involved. WTF is the mindset of these people ? Unbe#ucking believable.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2020/05/14/deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-robbery-miami-florida-nfl-giants-seahawks/

Law enforcement confirms NY Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker (the 30th overall pick in 2019) is facing 4 charges of armed robbery and 4 charges of aggravated assault with a firearm.

Is he the dude whose buddy got shot on draft weekend?

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2020 at 7:27 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2020/05/14/deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-robbery-miami-florida-nfl-giants-seahawks/

Law enforcement confirms NY Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker (the 30th overall pick in 2019) is facing 4 charges of armed robbery and 4 charges of aggravated assault with a firearm.

That class isn't doing so well...

https://www.fox61.com/article/news/local/outreach/awareness-months/an-nfl-rookie-was-shot-just-hours-after-he-was-drafted-by-the-new-york-giants/520-ade68e8e-5849-48b4-a926-9bedb3b05231

An NFL rookie was shot just hours after he was drafted by the New York Giants

TOPEKA, KANSAS — Corey Ballentine went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows over the weekend. Despite playing football at a low-profile Divisio...
583a1463-23a3-4fcf-a834-bcbd89e0b127_140583a1463-23a3-4fcf-a834-bcbd89e0b127_750
Corey Ballentine
Author: CNN Wire
Published: 3:49 PM EDT April 28, 2019
Updated: 3:49 PM EDT April 28, 2019

TOPEKA, KANSAS — Corey Ballentine went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows over the weekend.

Despite playing football at a low-profile Division II school, Ballentine was drafted by the NFL’s New York Giants on Saturday night, the culmination of years of hard work on and off the field.

“I’ve been waiting on this opportunity for a lifetime really,” he told Giants coach Pat Shurmur after hearing the news.

But in a tragic turn just hours later, Ballentine was injured in an off-campus shooting in Topeka, Kansas, that killed one of his Washburn University teammates.

Dwane Simmons, a 23-year-old defensive back, was killed in the shooting, said Washburn President Jerry Farley.

Farley said Ballentine, who was drafted in the sixth round by the Giants, is expected to make a full recovery.

“Both Dwane and Corey have been great examples and representatives of the football team and of Washburn University in general,” Farley said in a statement. “This was a terrible way to end a day which should have been a day of celebration and a day to look forward to Dwane’s upcoming year at Washburn and the beginning of Corey’s professional career.”

The Giants said they are aware of the situation and are gathering information.

“We have spoken to Corey, and he is recovering in the hospital. Our thoughts are with Dwane Simmons’ family, friends and teammates and the rest of the Washburn community,” the team said.

Ballentine, a six-time member of his conference’s Academic Honor Roll, was the 180th person taken in the 2019 NFL draft.

“It’s all a crazy dream until you do it,” he tweeted. “I can’t even explain the emotions I have right now. (Shoutout) the people that told me to pick a more realistic career. This is as real as it gets. Thank you to the Giants organization for believing in me. It’s only up from here. #GiantsPride.”

In a video posted to the Giants website, Ballentine told Shurmur how happy he was to join the NFL team.

“I’m glad to be a part of this franchise. I’ve been waiting on this opportunity for a lifetime really,” he said. “I’m glad to be even a part of the conversation. I’m definitely ready to start learning and being around the guys and being around you guys.”

“Well, you’re not in the conversation,” coach Shurmur said with a smile. “You’re in the locker room now.”

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

These asswipes lost 70K gambling and thought that they were cheated. So they convinced each other that they needed to get even.  I wish I could gamble against these morons with huge dollars.

"One witness told police they saw Baker and Dunbar at a different party a few days earlier in Miami where the pair lost about $70,000. They lost the money in card games and other forms of gambling, according to TMZ."

They took the OG way out and went to get their money back. They had three getaway cars lined up.

JD's emphasis on character shows how important it is

Pandemic.  Lockdown madness.  Collapsing economy and millions jobs lost.  Depression times are here again?  

Character...faith in god...strong family ties...etc....are essentials to hold a society together in crises times like these.   Cause peoples lives are being destroyed.  

The longer this crisis lasts...the more "asswipes" like these two are gonna erupt to the surface.  The "Baker & Dunbar Gang" mentality will start to arise...if the economy is destroyed. 

Yes...JD knows what he's doing.  Acquiring players who won't easily breakdown over societal pressures.  And especially...on that football field. 

That's why for me...JD is the Last Dance.  The last GM NYJ i'll trust.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Pandemic.  Lockdown madness.  Collapsing economy and millions jobs lost.  Depression times are here again?  

Character...faith in god...strong family ties...etc....are essentials to hold a society together in crises times like these.   Cause peoples lives are being destroyed.  

The longer this crisis lasts...the more "asswipes" like these two are gonna erupt to the surface.  The "Baker & Dunbar Gang" mentality will start to arise...if the economy is destroyed. 

Yes...JD knows what he's doing.  Acquiring players who won't easily breakdown over societal pressures.  And especially...on that football field. 

That's why for me...JD is the Last Dance.  The last GM NYJ i'll trust.  

Yes.... they were affected because we all know that high stakes poker games are all exempted from "lockdowns".

• Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Yes.... they were affected because we all know that high stakes poker games are all exempted from "lockdowns".

Yes they're obviously essential businesses . Well at least in NY they would be, along with liquor stores. :blink: Unreal !

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/14/deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-robbery-miami-florida-nfl-giants-seahawks/

"Cops say the men began to rob party guests ... with Dunbar assisting in taking watches and other valuables at the direction of Baker.

At one point, cops say Baker directed a 3rd man -- who was wearing a red mask -- to shoot someone who had just walked into the party ... but fortunately, no one was actually shot."

That's what I mean by the "Baker & Dunbar Gang" mentality .  Does this happen during normal NFL offseason program activities?  Sure...you get individual idiots.  But this seems to go further then that.   

The pressures that are building up due to this pandemic/economic crisis is real and troubling for sure.  IMO...people will snap under these conditions.  More so...then under what would be the usual norms of their everyday lives. 

I hope there's a recovery soon...that restores people's lives back to some kind of normalcy.   Not just for football.  But for the sake of every ones sanity.  

If what were living through now is the "new normal"...God help us all. 

10 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/14/deandre-baker-quinton-dunbar-robbery-miami-florida-nfl-giants-seahawks/

"Cops say the men began to rob party guests ... with Dunbar assisting in taking watches and other valuables at the direction of Baker.

At one point, cops say Baker directed a 3rd man -- who was wearing a red mask -- to shoot someone who had just walked into the party ... but fortunately, no one was actually shot."

That's what I mean by the "Baker & Dunbar Gang" mentality .  Does this happen during normal NFL offseason program activities?  Sure...you get individual idiots.  But this seems to go further then that.   

The pressures that are building up due to this pandemic/economic crisis is real and troubling for sure.  IMO...people will snap under these conditions.  More so...then under what would be the usual norms of their everyday lives. 

I hope there's a recovery soon...that restores people's lives back to some kind of normalcy.   Not just for football.  But for the sake of every ones sanity.  

Isn’t Joe Judge a no-nonsense guy? I wonder if Gettleman allows him to be cut. 

24 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Personally I’m going to avoid sketchy high stakes poker games as my first precaution. 

13 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

What a weird story.  Every one knew who they were, and they knocked over their poker game.  And escaped in a  Lamborghini,  

Styling and profiling (Clyde Frazier voice)

12 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

These asswipes lost 70K gambling and thought that they were cheated. So they convinced each other that they needed to get even.  I wish I could gamble against these morons with huge dollars.

"One witness told police they saw Baker and Dunbar at a different party a few days earlier in Miami where the pair lost about $70,000. They lost the money in card games and other forms of gambling, according to TMZ."

They took the OG way out and went to get their money back. They had three getaway cars lined up.

JD's emphasis on character shows how important it is. 

Ok, at least makes some kind of "sense" even if an incredibly stupid way

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Personally I’m going to avoid sketchy high stakes poker games as my first precaution. 

Good idea!

Here's a family favorite...Pokeno.   A combination of bingo and poker.  Play it for pennies and you'll be able to hold on to your trousers.

This particular card was my lucky one.  With "Ace Of Spades" at the center.   

Have fun☺️

il_570xN.554080251_kcvk.jpg

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Good idea!

Here's a family favorite...Pokeno.   A combination of bingo and poker.  Play it for pennies and you'll be able to hold on to your trousers.

This particular card was my lucky one.  With "Ace Of Spades" at the center.   

Have fun☺️

il_570xN.554080251_kcvk.jpg

He’ll yeah! We played that at night when I was a kid at our camp in Upstate. Great Game!

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

While I agree with that statement in general. In this case these morons lost 70K in another card game. People worrying about the economic crisis aren't playing in high stakes Poker games . This is nothing more than thug mentality from young men with money who think they are invincible. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

While I agree with that statement in general. In this case these morons lost 70K in another card game. People worrying about the economic crisis aren't playing in high stakes Poker games . This is nothing more than thug mentality from young men with money who think they are invincible. 

Maybe we're not that far apart in agreement. 

My contention is that in crisis like this...bad people behave even more badly.   

While others...that you may see in your normal course of activities...can behave...snap...however you may want to label it...in surprising bad ways too.  Even...regrettably...surprising themselves in what they did!  "Did I just do that!?!...I'm sorry...really I am...I lost my head!".   Yea...well if you committed a serious enough felony...you just may lose it!

Again...decent people can behave badly under these  strife conditions too.  So why not thugs outdoing their "norms" of behavior?  I would expect that.

I wouldn't be surprised if all kinds of domestic violence...suicides...etc....have significantly spiked up during this pandemic/economic crisis.   Especially not surprised it to see among the "Baker & Dunbar Gang" types too.   

Steve Serby basically says Gettleman didn't do his homework and ignored clear warning signs.  If true, it just proves that Gettleman is as bad as everyone really thinks he is:

And the disturbing details that have emerged — Baker and Seahawks pal Quinton Dunbar allegedly stealing $12,400 in cash and four watches valued at $61,100, according to the police report, while armed with semi-automatic weapons after allegedly losing $70G at a card game gone awry at a party two nights earlier, with one report alleging Baker instructed a different accomplice in a red mask to shoot someone, though thankfully he did not — put Gettleman back on the hot seat following John Mara’s edict that he improve his batting average in his third season on the job.

Making Baker the first cornerback selected in that draft — zero interceptions as a rookie — is equivalent to Gettleman never even taking the bat off his shoulder and taking a called strike three in the bottom of the ninth with the tying run on third.

Gettleman surrendered picks No. 37, 132 and 142 to make Baker the 30th pick of a draft that also delivered Daniel Jones and Dexter Lawrence.

“The last guy we traded up for we feel is the best cover corner in the draft, the kid from Georgia, DeAndre Baker,” Gettleman said at the time. “We feel like we got three guys that are going to impact this franchise for a long time.”

Wrong.

It turns out there were indeed warning signs about Baker’s maturity that Gettleman and the Giants missed. Draft analyst Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network reported on several prior to the 2019 scouting combine.

“Sources were telling me he was not taking combine training seriously,” Pauline told The Post. “He was kind of an entitled type of kid, he expected things to come very easy to him, he didn’t look good in drills. And then if you go back, and you look at his 2019 combine, he was a huge disappointment.

“This year when I was at the Senior Bowl practices, the last day of practice, I was talking to some of the Giant people, they didn’t tell me he was a bad guy or anything, they said he’s dumb as dirt. He struggled taking instruction in coaching, he basically likes to do it his own way.”

Baker was dressed down by teammates during his rookie season for his laissez-faire preparation. Pauline had Baker as his sixth-best corner.

“I would have never taken that guy in the first round. Never,” Pauline said.

Baker was coached at Northwestern High in Miami by Eddie Brown … Antonio Brown’s father. Baker after the draft described himself this way: “A guy whose teammates can always count on me to be there on Sundays and every other day of the week.”

Now? NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will be the first judge and jury. After that, who knows? Innocent until proven guilty, yes, of course. But this isn’t the kind of behavior that Joe Judge will tolerate. Or any head coach. Or any franchise should. DeAndre Baker should only hope and pray that his next teammates are not inmates.

image.gif

• Upvote 2