The circus is back in NY and it's not the Jets

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Steve Serby basically says Gettleman didn't do his homework and ignored clear warning signs.  If true, it just proves that Gettleman is as bad as everyone really thinks he is:

And the disturbing details that have emerged — Baker and Seahawks pal Quinton Dunbar allegedly stealing $12,400 in cash and four watches valued at $61,100, according to the police report, while armed with semi-automatic weapons after allegedly losing $70G at a card game gone awry at a party two nights earlier, with one report alleging Baker instructed a different accomplice in a red mask to shoot someone, though thankfully he did not — put Gettleman back on the hot seat following John Mara’s edict that he improve his batting average in his third season on the job.

Making Baker the first cornerback selected in that draft — zero interceptions as a rookie — is equivalent to Gettleman never even taking the bat off his shoulder and taking a called strike three in the bottom of the ninth with the tying run on third.

Gettleman surrendered picks No. 37, 132 and 142 to make Baker the 30th pick of a draft that also delivered Daniel Jones and Dexter Lawrence.

“The last guy we traded up for we feel is the best cover corner in the draft, the kid from Georgia, DeAndre Baker,” Gettleman said at the time. “We feel like we got three guys that are going to impact this franchise for a long time.”

Wrong.

It turns out there were indeed warning signs about Baker’s maturity that Gettleman and the Giants missed. Draft analyst Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network reported on several prior to the 2019 scouting combine.

“Sources were telling me he was not taking combine training seriously,” Pauline told The Post. “He was kind of an entitled type of kid, he expected things to come very easy to him, he didn’t look good in drills. And then if you go back, and you look at his 2019 combine, he was a huge disappointment.

“This year when I was at the Senior Bowl practices, the last day of practice, I was talking to some of the Giant people, they didn’t tell me he was a bad guy or anything, they said he’s dumb as dirt. He struggled taking instruction in coaching, he basically likes to do it his own way.”

Baker was dressed down by teammates during his rookie season for his laissez-faire preparation. Pauline had Baker as his sixth-best corner.

“I would have never taken that guy in the first round. Never,” Pauline said.

Baker was coached at Northwestern High in Miami by Eddie Brown … Antonio Brown’s father. Baker after the draft described himself this way: “A guy whose teammates can always count on me to be there on Sundays and every other day of the week.”

Now? NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will be the first judge and jury. After that, who knows? Innocent until proven guilty, yes, of course. But this isn’t the kind of behavior that Joe Judge will tolerate. Or any head coach. Or any franchise should. DeAndre Baker should only hope and pray that his next teammates are not inmates.

image.gif

JD did his homework...Gettleman didn't.  It's as simple as...  

The difference between evaluating the behavior of Becton vs Baker.   

Becton made the mistake of smoking pot at some gathering...just before the draft process began.  He was embarrassed by it.  JD did his research and recognized that it was just an honest mistake.  Not part of some consistent pattern of bad behavior.  

Result...

Gase is delighted...to have Becton anchoring the OL for the next ten years. 

As opposed to Baker...exercising a pattern of behavior...that was consistently of poor character and judgement.  And Tony Pauline pointed that out...Baker was 6th among his CB rankings. And wouldn't draft him in any round...let alone in the first.  

How did Baker turn out? 

He ended up as the leader of the notorious "Baker & Dunbar Gang".   Imbecile gambling soreheads...pulling off an amateur robbery.   Actually...calling them the "Dumb & Dumber Gang" is more fitting a calling.

You can bet...an HC like Judge...won't tolerate Baker on his team.  And he won't be visiting him in jail...over the next ten years.

Thank the Gods 'O Canton for JD!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Latest news has Dunbar's attorney producing 5 affidavit sworn statements from the victims in this case that state his client was not complicit making Baker a lone perpetrator.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/quinton-dunbars-lawyer-claims-five-witnesses-exonerate-seahawks-db/ar-BB149x8z?ocid=spartandhp

I'm sure it's easy to find witnesses for millionaires whose careers are at risk. Hard to imagine this was all just a misunderstanding.

Several very disturbing things about this situation.  Why would two young, talented and successful guys with million dollar contracts be robbing people at gunpoint?  Why are they even in Liberty City? Why have they already been condemned in the media even before they have been arraigned?  An accusation is not a conviction.  Already I have read that there are witnesses who have signed sworn affidavits stating that the accused did not take part in the alleged wrongdoing.  Let's not rush to judgment.  Imagine that you or a loved one stands accused.