Jay Ajayi

The best performance from an Adam Gase coached team was probadbly Jay Ajayi in 2016 when he ran for over 1,200 yards.  What happened after that?  Gase sent him packing to Philly because Ajayi was apparently going off script for his big gains and not doing what Gase and the CS was telling him to do.

I love the idea of a HC who puts his foot down when players aren't doing their job, but it worries me when the best performance he got out of a guy came because the guy was doing it on his own and not listening to what Gase was telling him.

As much as we've focused on how bad Gase has been when it comes to working with QB's, the rushing attacks for all of his teams have been just as bad if not worse.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

..........it worries me when the best performance he got out of a guy came because the guy was doing it on his own and not listening to what Gase was telling him.

You mean like Sam in the 2nd half of last season?

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

46 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

2 Things:

* If you don’t provide some corroborating article or quote I have to call this B.S.

* Did this really require you to start a new thread for this journalistic  “Gem” ?

There is something going on with Gase and his player relationships.   Hard evidence is murky. 

I actually strongly believe we will have a better understanding of this in 6 months. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

2 Things:

* If you don’t provide some corroborating article or quote I have to call this B.S.

* Did this really require you to start a new thread for this journalistic  “Gem” ?

Let's assume I'm not lying.  Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Or just look at it this way.  Gase traded away the player who got better results than any player who played for him as a HC.

Good or bad?

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

The best performance from an Adam Gase coached team was probadbly Jay Ajayi in 2016 when he ran for over 1,200 yards.  What happened after that?  Gase sent him packing to Philly because Ajayi was apparently going off script for his big gains and not doing what Gase and the CS was telling him to do.

I love the idea of a HC who puts his foot down when players aren't doing their job, but it worries me when the best performance he got out of a guy came because the guy was doing it on his own and not listening to what Gase was telling him.

As much as we've focused on how bad Gase has been when it comes to working with QB's, the rushing attacks for all of his teams have been just as bad if not worse.

Agreed. I’ve said it from the moment he was hired - he’s have to be a completely different coach from what he showed to be as an OC in Chicago and HC in Miami to be good for this franchise. So far, he hasn’t. Running Leveon up the gut every 2nd and long, and putting Darnold into awful 3rd and longs all season is proof that he’s the same he was elsewhere. Go back and look at his offense’s situational splits in his three years in Miami. Unfortunately, nothing has changed, and it’s a pretty meaningful indictment that a second year QB had to tell this supposedly QB whisperer how to do his job to better the team in the 2nd half of last year.

• Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You mean like Sam in the 2nd half of last season?

Similar, yes.  I recall several stories saying Darnold finally felt comfortable coming to Gase and explaining how he thought the offense would run better.  Once Darnold had more say, the offense got much better.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Going off script on his big runs?

He was injured first and a lockeroom problem all along.

We should investigate the theory that Gase also causes cancer.

Started Corona.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

PB2.jpg

SAR I

Says the guy who can't unload his tickets fast enough when times are tough, to the guy who commutes from England to MetLife to watch this team stink up the joint.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Going off script on his big runs?

He was injured first and a lockeroom problem all along.

We should investigate the theory that Gase also causes cancer.

Started Corona.

I haven't heard any of the theories you're asserting, but Ajayi refusing to do it Gase's way was reported by a few outlets after the trade.  

As long as Darnold keeps letting Gase know how to run the offense he can keep getting better, so I'm not as worried as I would be if Darnold wasn't willing to speak up.

41 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Similar, yes.  I recall several stories saying Darnold finally felt comfortable coming to Gase and explaining how he thought the offense would run better.  Once Darnold had more say, the offense got much better.

Yes, as Gase wanted him to finally do.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I haven't heard any of the theories you're asserting, but Ajayi refusing to do it Gase's way was reported by a few outlets after the trade.  

As long as Darnold keeps letting Gase know how to run the offense he can keep getting better, so I'm not as worried as I would be if Darnold wasn't willing to speak up.

Are you kidding, there were reports everywhere that Ajayi was a problem. 

Its as wrong as thinking going over a first year, first time with an offense and going to the OC to let him know which plays he prefers is letting that OC know how to run his offense.  Thats no different than any other QB/OC combo

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yup...

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

You mean the Jay Ajayi that was averaging 3.4 yards per carry the season he was traded?

And the Jay Ajayi that has played 7 games and had 55 carries in the last 2 seasons?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

hole round GIF

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Ajayi had a bone-on-bone knee coming out of college which dropped him to the fifth round. Despite being a Pro Bowl back the season before, he only reaped a fourth rounder a few months later after his knee was dinged again. He went to the Eagles, where his knee relegated him to part-time duty, and now he’s out of the league. Add to that, there’s this:

“He complained bitterly about not getting the football. He stormed out of the locker room – get this, after wins – because he hadn’t gotten what he deemed to be enough carries. And, oh yes, he didn’t exactly light it up on the field.

And here’s the thing: All this was done undercover. Ajayi complained to his position coach. And he carried around an attitude around other teammates. But he never took his concerns to the only voice that matters and that’s Gase.“

winning independence day GIF by IFC

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You mean the Jay Ajayi that was averaging 3.4 yards per carry the season he was traded?

And the Jay Ajayi that has played 7 games and had 55 carries in the last 2 seasons?

I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say Gase didn't have a crystal ball on this one.  He may have been lucky to unload a guy at the right time, but he just can't seem to get any production out of his running game, and the one guy who looked good ended up getting dumped.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

2 Things:

At this point this is a bit much. It is the off-season  during a quarantine. There is not much news at all on the Jets so I am thankful to read anything about the team and judge it on it's  merits. 

The guy brings up a good point. Gase let a guy go who had a great season whether he was free lancing or not,  he benched Drake who was arguably  the most talented RB, underused Bell last season, and as far as not playing players to their strengths,  Darnold had to have a one on one with him and tell him what he is most comfortable  doing and we only saw results after that talk. Before that Darnold  looked lost. 

This story does not sound line total BS, I think it is very plausible 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you kidding, there were reports everywhere that Ajayi was a problem. 

Its as wrong as thinking going over a first year, first time with an offense and going to the OC to let him know which plays he prefers is letting that OC know how to run his offense.  Thats no different than any other QB/OC combo

Who was the source of the stories?  Gase?

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I agree, that's why last year the jets had the 32nd rated offense out of 32 teams... so far the only good thing that gase can take credit for is getting rid of mccags.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

At thos point this os a bit much. It is the off-season  during a quarantine. There is not much nees at all on the Jets so I am thankful to trad anything about the team and judge it on it's  merits. 

The guy brings up a good point. Gase let a guy go who had a great season whether he was free lancing or not,  he benched Drake who was arguably  the most talented RB, underused Bell last season, and as far as not playing players to their strengths,  Darnold had to have a one on one with him and tell him what he is most comfortable  doing and we only saw results after that talk. Before that Darnold  looked lost. 

This story does not sound line total BS, I think it os very plausible 

I suppose I could have done a better job by painting a picture of Gase's history of having a poor rushing attack instead of focusing on Ajayi, but he seemed like a good focal point given his production and departure.

I'm not an Adam Gase apologist at all, and at the time wanted McCarthy.  Was disappointed When the Jets hired Gase. 

With that said, I was very surprised with  the rhetoric of how hated Gase was in Miami that has become accepted on the board.  Living on the outskirs of the Dolphins media reach, it's just not the way I remember it.  Gase wasn't hated by his players.  He had a clash with two of them over the same issue, and he got rid of them.  Most of his ex players have spoken very well of him including Frank Gore.  The Fish were a bad team that played hard for him.  When he had Tannehill  healthy the Fish played surprisingly  well.

Gase, as we have seen, isn't a very PC kind of guy and from time to time would clash with the media, but nothing like the nonsense we have seen from Mehta. 

This is Darnold's 3rd year, and IMO an improved team.  I'm excited to see what Darnold and Gase can do this year.  

All they do is win, win, win (Dolphins’ Ryan Tannehill, with Adam Gase)

HIDE CAPTION
Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill and coach Adam Gase talk in the fourth quarter during a game against the New York Jets on Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018 at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands, N.J. (Charles Trainor Jr./Miami Herald/TNS) 
TNS

By Joe Schad
Posted Sep 19, 2018 at 12:01 AMUpdated Sep 20, 2018 at 9:06 PM

All they do is win, win, win, no matter what

And every time they step onto the field

Everybody hands go up

With a hat tip to DJ Khaled and Ludacris and friends, all Adam Gase and Ryan Tannehill do is win. Together.

Hands go up? Sure, like officials and fans, who more often than not are able to celebrate when Tannehill and Gase are on the same sideline, working together, on game days.

Don’t believe me?

Gase is 10-5 when Tannehill is under center. And 8-12 (including a playoff loss) when anyone else is.

Tannehill is 10-5 when Gase is his head coach and sort of not very good when others are. (Tannehill was 24-28 with Joe Philbin and 5-7 with Dan Campbell.)

“I think it’s just the cohesion of our two minds,” Tannehill said Wednesday. “We work really well together. We think alike. He’s constantly pushing me to get better, whether it’s something pre-snap, post-snap, during the play, a footwork thing or what to look at. He’s constantly just pushing little areas where I can get better. I love it. I love trying to push myself and being the best quarterback I can be.”

Tannehill said in a preseason interview that he wishes he was where he is now five years ago. That was a telling statement. Tannehill is an improved players, for many reasons.

RELATED STORY: Healthy, changed Ryan Tannehill ready for best year of Dolphins career

Notably, Tannehill has the full endorsement and support of a coach who took this job believing the quarterback would flourish running his plays, and with his coaching.

And though the Dolphins surely would have considered drafting a young quarterback in the last NFL Draft, Tannehill was led to believe he was the team’s starter this year, no matter what.

There is a lot to be said about working for someone who puts you in a position to succeed, who takes a vested interest and who has your back. To a large degree, Gase and Tannehill are attached, even though Gase essentially adopted his quarterback.

″(Ryan) makes sure that we complete the ones when they’re open,” Gase said this week. “His accuracy down the field is probably one of the better ones in the league, which I love saying considering that I was told he can’t throw the deep ball. I always like bringing that up.”

Photos: Miami Dolphins at New York Jets, Week 2

Gase smirked. Gase loves that Miami was predicted to be terrible this season. And so far, they’re not.

And he loves that people knock his quarterback. Because there’s pretty much nothing Gase enjoys in this world more than told-ya-so.

Tannehill is more reserved than Gase, but they’re both serious about their craft and cerebral in approach. And yes, Gase has brought a little more flair out of his quarterback, the more they’ve worked together.

Tannehill is showing more emotion. And seems to be enjoying his day-to-day existence.

“Just where I’m at in life now, how much gratitude I have after being away from the game for so long and just being able to do what I love, go out there every day, be around the guys, push the guys, try to make them the best they can be and then go out and compete on Sundays, it doesn’t get any better than that,” Tannehill said.

Tannehill was asked on Wednesday about the world sort of expecting the Dolphins to stink.

I don’t know and I don’t really care, honestly,” Tannehill said.

The world sort of expects Tannehill to stink, except here’s the thing — he hasn’t.

Tannehill is 8th in the NFL in passer rating at the moment — one spot ahead of Tom Brady. And Tannehill is completing 73 percent of his passes, which is 5th in the NFL.

“And Tannehill’s scrambling ability is a winning edge for him,” Raiders coach Jon Gruden said Wednesday. “He can get out of trouble. They can create running plays. They can do a lot of different things with a quarterback that has this kind of athleticism.”

Getting back to winning. Over his last 10 NFL starts, Tannehill has a record of 9-1. Now some will say it’s lame to date back to 2016.

We say, no, it’s relevant and fair. When Gase and Tannehill are together, Miami wins. Why complain? They win.

“I think there was a little bit of a period of finding out what each other did well and how we could best push each other and push this offense and work together,” Tannehill said. “I think we kind of figured that out midway through 2016, then we started playing well and then unfortunately I got injury.”

RELATED STORY: The Tape Don’t Lie: Miami Dolphins at New York Jets, a review

Why do we play? We play-to-win-the-game. So, which quarterbacks have the best records in the NFL in that previously-mentioned span?

Tannehill (9-1), Carson Wentz (9-1), Case Keenum (9-1), Tom Brady (8-2) and Jared Goff (8-2).

Wentz’s Eagles won the Super Bowl. Keenum got $36 million from the Broncos.

Brady is the G.O.A.T. And Goff is the young, rising star on a Super Bowl favorite team.

What’s Tannehill?

A guy who gets grief. A guy who, for some reasons, ends up as the butt of jokes. What if Gase and Tannehill — together — is good enough?

I mean, when they’ve been together, hasn’t it been?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Then he basically did it again last year by under-using Le'veon Bell.  Except I don't think Bell did anything to deserve it.  

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Says the guy who can't unload his tickets fast enough when times are tough, to the guy who commutes from England to MetLife to watch this team stink up the joint.

From 2001 to 2010 I had season tickets in New Hampshire and drove 10 hours round-trip 5x a year to see the Jets stink up the joint.  Hotels, gas, tolls, that's about $39,000 out of pocket; add PSL's and it was $59,000.  And I didn't sell games because the Jets sucked; I sold because my indulgence was tough enough on the wife and kids 5x a season, couldn't do it to them more than that.

You're preaching your tale of woe to the wrong season ticket holder, friend.

SAR I

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Bell had the 3rd highest discrepancy between a lead running back and his backups. There may be problems with what Gase does but underusing Bell was not an issue.

Bell forgot how to hit a hole after a year away from the game behind the worst OL in the NFL.

It's not Gase.  It was circumstances.

Those slamming Gase for this today better praise him to the high heavens when the Jets have a Top 10 rushing offense this season.  I've got a list.  

SAR I

• Upvote 3