Rich Castor/ Jerome Barkum

13 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Didn't know that.  I was fortunate enough to watch the Colts-Jets game back in the early 70's where Namath threw for like 500 yards and Unitas threw for 400.  If I'm not mistaken Caster had back-to-back 80 yard TD bombs.  Both he and "little" Eddie Bell I think had 200+ yds.  Feel bad for younger fans who have never experienced watching an explosive Jets offense...

Yeah Namath threw for 6tds that day. A true clinic.

• Upvote 1

Scouting was much less thorough (more racist) at that time. Even further back, teams like the KC Chiefs had a huge edge because they would scout the southern black colleges for talent that many other, mostly NFC, teams would ignore. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Didn't know that.  I was fortunate enough to watch the Colts-Jets game back in the early 70's where Namath threw for like 500 yards and Unitas threw for 400.  If I'm not mistaken Caster had back-to-back 80 yard TD bombs.  Both he and "little" Eddie Bell I think had 200+ yds.  Feel bad for younger fans who have never experienced watching an explosive Jets offense...

That was one of the greatest games of all time

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

They were both drafted as wide receivers and both converted to TE. Barkums catch vs the Fish in
1981 was possibly the most memorable catch by a Jet at Shea Stadium since the 68 Championship game

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That was a great day. ?One of my most memorable games in the era of Shea season tix.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

They were both drafted as wide receivers and both converted to TE. Barkums catch vs the Fish in
1981 was possibly the most memorable catch by a Jet at Shea Stadium since the 68 Championship game

They were too of my favorite Jets.  Didn't Caster convert to WR and Barkum to TE later in their careers?  

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Thanks for posting

Really enjoyed watching it again.

Love the old announcers and old NFL films music.

The clip also highlighted how things have changed with regard to rough play and late hits. I miss the old NFL.

I love how Mad Dog Curtis came up short again against ole Joe. 

Smartass.

• Upvote 1

To those who claim Namath was overrated, interesting how the NFL films narrator said things such as “this shows how great Namath is” and “ that’s why Namath is the best.”  I think those that saw him play are better able to judge him than people who have only followed the NFL from the 80s forward and compare his stats to modern day QBs.

11 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

“ explosive Jet offense” isn’t that an oxymoron?? 

22 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

I was sitting in the end zone for that game and catch. That stadium Rocked! and it shook and moved up and down - I guess those were temporary seats but that whole stadium felt like and earthquake when Barkum caught that pass!

On 5/16/2020 at 10:53 AM, peekskill68 said:

I met Eddie Bell through an acquaintance at a parking garage that he and my father both went to in lower NYC.  I was a big tennis player at the time, and we set up a tennis date together.  Eddie Bell cancelled on me, and that was the end of that.  But still, I forgot about him until I read it in your post.  I would have loved to beat him at tennis.  Wasn't meant to be.

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2020 at 10:36 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

To those who claim Namath was overrated, interesting how the NFL films narrator said things such as “this shows how great Namath is” and “ that’s why Namath is the best.”  I think those that saw him play are better able to judge him than people who have only followed the NFL from the 80s forward and compare his stats to modern day QBs.

namath was the best in his day and would probably rank at least as high as the modern guys for having 3 or 4 really great seasons.  i don't know if i can think of any of his peers that came close to his ability. his problems were injuries and then getting tainted by opening his nightclub allegedly with mob assistance.