Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TNJet

Rich Castor/ Jerome Barkum

Recommended Posts

Anyone know why both these talented TEs played for the Jets in a close span while both being from the same college in Jackson State?

Just thought that seemed interesting...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Didn't know that.  I was fortunate enough to watch the Colts-Jets game back in the early 70's where Namath threw for like 500 yards and Unitas threw for 400.  If I'm not mistaken Caster had back-to-back 80 yard TD bombs.  Both he and "little" Eddie Bell I think had 200+ yds.  Feel bad for younger fans who have never experienced watching an explosive Jets offense...

Yeah Namath threw for 6tds that day. A true clinic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scouting was much less thorough (more racist) at that time. Even further back, teams like the KC Chiefs had a huge edge because they would scout the southern black colleges for talent that many other, mostly NFC, teams would ignore. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were both drafted as wide receivers and both converted to TE. Barkums catch vs the Fish in
1981 was possibly the most memorable catch by a Jet at Shea Stadium since the 68 Championship game


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two of my favorites.  I loved to pretend I was Rich Caster in touch football games. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Didn't know that.  I was fortunate enough to watch the Colts-Jets game back in the early 70's where Namath threw for like 500 yards and Unitas threw for 400.  If I'm not mistaken Caster had back-to-back 80 yard TD bombs.  Both he and "little" Eddie Bell I think had 200+ yds.  Feel bad for younger fans who have never experienced watching an explosive Jets offense...

That was one of the greatest games of all time

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

They were both drafted as wide receivers and both converted to TE. Barkums catch vs the Fish in
1981 was possibly the most memorable catch by a Jet at Shea Stadium since the 68 Championship game


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That was a great day. 😁One of my most memorable games in the era of Shea season tix.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, section314 said:

That was a great day. 😁One of my most memorable games in the era of Shea season tix.

Same here, Barkum in the middle of the EZ, closed section of Shea, place was rocking.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

 

Thanks for posting

Really enjoyed watching it again.

Love the old announcers and old NFL films music.

The clip also highlighted how things have changed with regard to rough play and late hits. I miss the old NFL.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

They were both drafted as wide receivers and both converted to TE. Barkums catch vs the Fish in
1981 was possibly the most memorable catch by a Jet at Shea Stadium since the 68 Championship game


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They were too of my favorite Jets.  Didn't Caster convert to WR and Barkum to TE later in their careers?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

awesome NFL films soundtrack and VoiceOver.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rich was from here in Mobile, AL, Jerome was from the next town down the road just over the Mississippi Line in Gulfport.  Barkum was a teammate of Walter Payton at Jackson State 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Thanks for posting

Really enjoyed watching it again.

Love the old announcers and old NFL films music.

The clip also highlighted how things have changed with regard to rough play and late hits. I miss the old NFL.

I love how Mad Dog Curtis came up short again against ole Joe. 

Smartass.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, that was fun watching... love how they all the ball to the ref and no showboating, and wow, I miss Riggins.   to this day, when I need to remember the number 83 I remember Barkum, and for 88, Caster... 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TNJet said:

Yeah Namath threw for 6tds that day. A true clinic.

yep remember that game well.... it was a master piece.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

 

Thanks for this.  Brought back great memories!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those who claim Namath was overrated, interesting how the NFL films narrator said things such as “this shows how great Namath is” and “ that’s why Namath is the best.”  I think those that saw him play are better able to judge him than people who have only followed the NFL from the 80s forward and compare his stats to modern day QBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Didn't know that.  I was fortunate enough to watch the Colts-Jets game back in the early 70's where Namath threw for like 500 yards and Unitas threw for 400.  If I'm not mistaken Caster had back-to-back 80 yard TD bombs.  Both he and "little" Eddie Bell I think had 200+ yds.  Feel bad for younger fans who have never experienced watching an explosive Jets offense...

“ explosive Jet offense” isn’t that an oxymoron?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Randy Rasmussen said:

They were both drafted as wide receivers and both converted to TE. Barkums catch vs the Fish in
1981 was possibly the most memorable catch by a Jet at Shea Stadium since the 68 Championship game


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I was sitting in the end zone for that game and catch. That stadium Rocked! and it shook and moved up and down - I guess those were temporary seats but that whole stadium felt like and earthquake when Barkum caught that pass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 10:53 AM, peekskill68 said:

Didn't know that.  I was fortunate enough to watch the Colts-Jets game back in the early 70's where Namath threw for like 500 yards and Unitas threw for 400.  If I'm not mistaken Caster had back-to-back 80 yard TD bombs.  Both he and "little" Eddie Bell I think had 200+ yds.  Feel bad for younger fans who have never experienced watching an explosive Jets offense...

I met Eddie Bell through an acquaintance at a parking garage that he and my father both went to in lower NYC.  I was a big tennis player at the time, and we set up a tennis date together.  Eddie Bell cancelled on me, and that was the end of that.  But still, I forgot about him until I read it in your post.  I would have loved to beat him at tennis.  Wasn't meant to be.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 10:36 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

To those who claim Namath was overrated, interesting how the NFL films narrator said things such as “this shows how great Namath is” and “ that’s why Namath is the best.”  I think those that saw him play are better able to judge him than people who have only followed the NFL from the 80s forward and compare his stats to modern day QBs.

namath was the best in his day and would probably rank at least as high as the modern guys for having 3 or 4 really great seasons.  i don't know if i can think of any of his peers that came close to his ability. his problems were injuries and then getting tainted by opening his nightclub allegedly with mob assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...