Jets vs Fins 1986 51- 45 Game in Meadowlands

21 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Does anyone know if there's a radio call available on the game winning (or maybe game tying?) TD to Wesley Walker?  I've heard it replayed before on WFAN but I don't think I've seen it on YouTube.

I can't remember the call exactly but I think it was something like:

"O'Brien looking deep.  Throws over the middle to Wesley Walker.  Touchdown!  Touchdown!  Touchdown!  Touchdown!"

It was on that half hour recap on NFL Network.  I looked on YouTube but couldn't find it. Below is the 1986 season highlights but it includes the radio calls.

• Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Does anyone know if there's a radio call available on the game winning (or maybe game tying?) TD to Wesley Walker?  I've heard it replayed before on WFAN but I don't think I've seen it on YouTube.

I can't remember the call exactly but I think it was something like:

"O'Brien looking deep.  Throws over the middle to Wesley Walker.  Touchdown!  Touchdown!  Touchdown!  Touchdown!"

Over the middle was the game-tying TD. The winner was thrown to the sideline

That was the first game I ever missed as a season ticket holder since '79. 

What a bad decision that was.  I had just moved that month to Belmar, NJ across the street from the beach.  I woke up that morning, saw the beach and said "ef-it" I'm not going.  My buddies never let me live it down.

It's still one of my biggest regrets as a Jets fan.  The other was tossing my Campbell's soup paper painter's hat into the upper deck bonfire.   I still wish I had that hat.

The week before that game, the Jets played an absolute stinker in the home opener on a Thursday night against New England.   That was the game where Freeman dislocated his elbow.   One of the more gruesome injuries to ever watch on replay.  

I hated that Jets killing scrubby scumbag Craig James and still do.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It was on that half hour recap on NFL Network.  I looked on YouTube but couldn't find it. Below is the 1986 season highlights but it includes the radio calls.

You're awesome for finding that!  Thank you!

Does anyone know who our radio announcer was back then?  Was it Charley Steiner who did the radio call for the 51-45 game?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

The week before that game, the Jets played an absolute stinker in the home opener on a Thursday night against New England.   That was the game where Freeman dislocated his elbow.   One of the more gruesome injuries to ever watch on replay.  

I hated that Jets killing scrubby scumbag Craig James and still do.

After that NE week 2 game they wouldn't lose again until they were 10-1.  Crazy year

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You're awesome for finding that!  Thank you!

Does anyone know who our radio announcer was back then?  Was it Charley Steiner who did the radio call for the 51-45 game?

Here is the list of all time Jets announcers.  Steiner was there for 86 & 87.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Jets_broadcasters#Broadcasters_by_year

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, freestater said:

Rocky Klever!!! Forgot all about him. Lol, I wanted his jersey at one point. 

His biggest moment was scoring a late TD at Miami in 1985 to give us a 17-14 lead but unfortunately Marino struck quickly to duper for a long TD to win it for Miami.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

His biggest moment was scoring a late TD at Miami in 1985 to give us a 17-14 lead but unfortunately Marino struck quickly to duper for a long TD to win it for Miami.

I think I loved him earlier than that when he popped a ball out on a kickoff. Against the Bills iirc

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:43 PM, jetstream23 said:

THIS was the game that made me a Jets fan.  Was about 12 years old, went with my father and his friend.  Epic game.  I was hooked on this train wreck of a team every day since! lol

I had a similar experience but it was with the 69 Superbowl    My dad bet me 10 cents on the game with the Jets up 7-0.   Probably thought he would teach me something but that plan went down the drain with the upset.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I got to troll Mark Duper over this game, in person, as a third grader. (His brother worked with a friend's dad when I was living in Miami, so he showed up at class for a Q&A session. He asked if anyone had any questions, so I raised my hand and went "how'd it feel when Walker scored that TD in overtime?)

That's fantastic!

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That was a crushing loss.  The Jets took the lead with less than 2 minutes left.  Marino burned the Jets when Bud Carson blitzed, hitting Duper for a long TD with very little time left.  The Jets win that game, they win the division and then who knows...........The 1985 team was very good . Then again, even with a more successful season, they would have faced the 85 Bears in the SB and that Bears team was one of the 2-3 best I have ever seen if not the best.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Here is the list of all time Jets announcers.  Steiner was there for 86 & 87.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Jets_broadcasters#Broadcasters_by_year

To this day, Dave Jennings was the best Jets analyst I have ever heard.  I used to listen to him on the radio at home games in the stadium and when watching road games on TV.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:33 PM, Prez33 said:

Crazy game. I remember that day so clearly, my reaction, seeing the highlights. I was 13 years old and remember saying to myself “maybe KO’B really is better than Marino”. 

We were the same age and we had the exact same thoughts. We were wrong, but that game gave us some serious reason to believe  huh? That was one of those games that solidified my becoming a Jets fan.  Man did I love that team. 

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That was a crushing loss.  The Jets took the lead with less than 2 minutes left.  Marino burned the Jets when Bud Carson blitzed, hitting Duper for a long TD with very little time left.  The Jets win that game, they win the division and then who knows...........The 1985 team was very good . Then again, even with a more successful season, they would have faced the 85 Bears in the SB and that Bears team was one of the 2-3 best I have ever seen if not the best.  

The 85 team was the best start to finish in the O'Brien era.  There's no way they win a SB vs Chicago but having a bye increases the odds of getting there.

13 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

To this day, Dave Jennings was the best Jets analyst I have ever heard.  I used to listen to him on the radio at home games in the stadium and when watching road games on TV.  

Jennings was great. Whenever my dad went to a game (whether taking me as a kid or taking him as an adult) he always used to bring a Walkman and listen to the radio broadcast.