Does Edoga make the roster in 2020?

13 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Are we talking about Edoga or Cashman? Your post took a crazy left turn with zero explanation lol

Edoga needs to show more than he did in his rookie season.  He was overwhelmed at times at right tackle, and if we needed him to be a starter, we would be the sh*tty offensive line like we had last season.  We currently have 18 offensive linemen on the roster, and the best 9 or 10 will make the team.  Edoga is right now about # 8 of the 16, and he will need to earn the right to stay around #8.  I hope that the bottom 8 push Edoga, and I hope Edoga steps up in his second year.

As far as Cashman is concerned, I personally feel that he has a very low ceiling in ability.  He played well when he got the opportunity, but I think that he isn't going to get much better.  I think that with the talent we have at linebacker, it wouldn't be impossible for him to not make the roster.

A team that was devoid of young, cheap talent just a year ago should not cut young, cheap talent.  

Edoga and Cashman have shown flashes.  Edoga hopefully won't see the field next year due to Becton and Fant working out.  But he still carries value as the backup RT.  ILB is indeed deep but that doesn't mean Cashman is the odd man out.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Alka said:

Edoga needs to show more than he did in his rookie season.  He was overwhelmed at times at right tackle, and if we needed him to be a starter, we would be the sh*tty offensive line like we had last season.  We currently have 18 offensive linemen on the roster, and the best 9 or 10 will make the team.  Edoga is right now about # 8 of the 16, and he will need to earn the right to stay around #8.  I hope that the bottom 8 push Edoga, and I hope Edoga steps up in his second year.

contra case Edoga was given the RT job by Gase, then when Beachum got hurt, was given the LT job, back to RT, then hurt.

For whatever reason Gase likes Edoga and keeps giving him chances. 

meanwhile George Fant is a natural LT playing out of position at TE last year if he was a RT SEATTLE would have kept him at RT instead of signing Brandon Shell to start. this was all before they took Becton at 11. 

It's entirely possible Edoga is the RT starter and Fant is the expensive swing tackle/extra TE he didn't want to be in SEA. 

• Sympathy 1

Yes.  He'll make it.  Rookie contract, showed promise as a mid-round pick under pretty bad circumstances (bad OLine overall, wasn't given much chance to develop, was moved back and forth between LT and RT out of necessity and injuries, then got injured himself).  Edoga was an example of exactly how not to bring a mid-round OT prospect into the NFL.  He was thrown out there into the fire, likely didn't have a great mentor, was drinking from the firehose as the Jets used him (and others) as a bandaid on the Line.  That's a tall order for someone we all considered a developmental rookie.

The positives are that he really looked good at certain times, particularly vs. Dallas, and also when he was working from the RT side.  But those glimpses of promise were buried amongst some other bad performances.

If I'm the Jets I focus Edoga strictly on one spot, RT.  And, I support his development through an offseason and preseason solely focused on becoming a future starting RT.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:15 AM, Sammybighead said:

Both will make it.

Don't get cocky yet about our oline, it's not like we brought in 3 all pros.

Also cashman has a unique skillset at lb. He can run and cover better than any lb we have. He's not getting cut unless it's clear his injury is basically catastrophic.

Why the **** would they cut Cashman?  He is cheap.  Just play him until he gets hurt.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why the **** would they cut Cashman?  He is cheap.  Just play him until he gets hurt.  

It’s a numbers game. The Jets aren’t going to carry 6 LBs 

Mosley, Williamson, Hewitt, Onawasu, Burgess, and Cashman are under contact.  Logic dictates that its either Williamson or Cashman are the odd men out given the fact that Douglas handed out contracts to the other three. 

As for Edoga I think hes 100 percent on the roster this year. Consdider how many years the Jets carried Brett Qvale on the active roster.  

Edoga was a third round pick at one of the most high demand positions in the league. Most first rounders start at Rt tackle and work their way up to left.  Due to injuries and our general O-line sh-t show last year Edoga went from back up to starting Rt tackle to starting left tackle. Saying you should dump this kid because you weren't happy how he performed a s a left tackle in his rookie year is idiotic!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

On 5/17/2020 at 3:39 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Why is this even a thread? Edoga and Cashman are locks for the 2020 roster.

Probably because this is a message board and that's what we do.  :)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2020 at 1:31 AM, NYJ1 said:

Well, if the question is absurd, then yes....

I suppose if you're willing to ignore the film and the talk of his work ethic issues while also dismissing the fact that this GM did not draft him, then yeah, pretty absurd question.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:13 AM, k-met57 said:

yeah because a lot of teams cut third round picks a year into their career after they showed some promise the year before....

Yeah but JD didnt draft him.

So good GMs throw away young talent for that reason.  Its like an old BF or GF

On 5/17/2020 at 6:17 AM, mrcoops said:

I think Edoga makes it as the 3rd Tackle, backing up on both sides.

Not so sure on Cashman. He looked good when he was in there, but his injury history is extensive and the Jets have added loads of depth at LB.

Cashman has had three shoulder surgeries. Not good for a tackler that has to lead with the shoulder. Edoga sticks only if Jets do not sign Jason Peters or Larry Warford. If they do he is probably a practice squad guy. 

• 4 months later...

I have a new way of looking at everything Jets-FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Its not about producing a winning football team.  Its about making money.

As a 3rd round draft pick Chuma is paid $675,000 in cash this season and has a prorated bonus of $217,000.  The Jets were not signing a FA backup tackle for less than triple that.

What the Jets doing in practice to give George Fant a concussion?

This is what Brandon Shell got, which is kind of interesting with the substantial roster bonus.  I don't know why the Jets are not doing that.

Brandon Shell signed a two year, $9 million contract with the Seahawks. Shell received $5.1 million in guaranteed salary including a $4 million signing bonus. He can earn up to $400,000 in per game roster bonuses.