Ed Oliver DWI while carrying firearm

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Nope.  Not loaded in a bag isn't as bad as loaded while driving drunk.

Having an unregistered gun in NYC without it loaded is way more serious than unlawful possession of a gun and DWI in texas.

In Texas it's a misdemeanor for unlawful possession of a firearm. Up to a year in jail and a $4000 fine. DWI is also a misdemeanor. Combined, the penalty for the DWI is doubled but still a misdemeanor, not a felony.

A couple of things. He may have had a carry permit for the gun but bc he was drunk he automatically gets the unlawful possession of a firearm charge. That's the way it works in Texas. So it doesn't mean he was carrying the gun illegally. In QW's case, he was carrying it illegally. And yes, having it in a bag that you're wheeling around is considered carrying in NYC.

In NYC carrying an unloaded weapon illegally is a felony charge with 1-4 years in prison and a $5000 fine. QW may get his charges reduced to a misdemeanor with a fine but his case is much more serious than Oliver's bc of where they each took place.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

This is one competitive dude.  No way he was gonna' let Quinnen Williams show him up by just carrying a gun in his luggage.

Your move QW.

At least Q just made a mistake by evidence  of him trying to check the weapon.  He didn't  show up at the airport drunk with a gun in his possession 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This and making sure your out of the truck before you start in on them is a very simple way to avoid a lot of complications. 

When I get pulled over I open the window, keep my hands over the steering wheel, tell the cop my carry piece in the truck and my license is in my back pocket. Most of the time they make me get out of the truck and put my hands on the hood to search me then search my truck. I’ll get a ticket for whatever I did and go about my way. I’m not sure how drunk he was but the DUI limit is ridiculously low. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

At least Q just made a mistake by evidence  of him trying to check the weapon.  He didn't  show up at the airport drunk with a gun in his possession 

Oliver had an open beer in between his legs when he got pulled over and the tests indicated he was high on something other than alcohol

1 hour ago, Eaton Beaver said:

What is the matter with these players? Doesn't the NFL have in place a system where the player can get a ride anytime. It is just unfathomable to see anyone get in a car and drive after drinking. especially with a gun in the car, very bad judgement.

Young guy making a lot of money who has a bright future as a pro. He feels invincible.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Q may get off without a suspension. It was his legal gun.
Oliver is in a heap. I’m thinking 6 games minimum. DWI and illegal gun. Damn

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm thinking 8. Every idiot will get in a car and drive while  under the influence but doing it while having an illegal concealed  weapon in your car? I mean this guy might do jail time. 

• Upvote 1

Having an unregistered gun in NYC without it loaded is way more serious than unlawful possession of a gun and DWI in texas.
In Texas it's a misdemeanor for unlawful possession of a firearm. Up to a year in jail and a $4000 fine. DWI is also a misdemeanor. Combined, the penalty for the DWI is doubled but still a misdemeanor, not a felony.
A couple of things. He may have had a carry permit for the gun but bc he was drunk he automatically gets the unlawful possession of a firearm charge. That's the way it works in Texas. So it doesn't mean he was carrying the gun illegally. In QW's case, he was carrying it illegally. And yes, having it in a bag that you're wheeling around is considered carrying in NYC.
In NYC carrying an unloaded weapon illegally is a felony charge with 1-4 years in prison and a $5000 fine. QW may get his charges reduced to a misdemeanor with a fine but his case is much more serious than Oliver's bc of where they each took place.

The issue here is what the league thinks of these 2 situations. You have to have your head up your ass , if you think Q’s situation is worse. Q is likely to get fined or miss a game. DWI alone is 2 games

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I got a feeling that you and Goodell are going to have a difference of opinion

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's very common to drive while intoxicated while  having an illegal firearm  in your car?

dude abides GIF

Tbh, probably more than we would like to think. 

I'd guess that far less than half the people doing this at any one time get caught. 

Just now, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I don’t understand why it’s so hard to get a legally registered gun. I’m all in favor if he wants to carry a gun for protection, that’s his right but be smart about it. But the gun, get the gun registered and get whatever licenses necessary. 

It’s almost impossible or impossible in some states, countries and cities but if it’s illegal and you want to carry move or run for office and change the unconstitutional laws so you can carry. 

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

It’s almost impossible or impossible in some states, countries and cities but if it’s illegal and you want to carry move or run for office and change the unconstitutional laws so you can carry. 

You can get a concealed carry license in NY state and we have some of the toughest gun laws. No excuses. 

As with every situation in which a person breaks the law or otherwise gets in some trouble, the league will look at the specific circumstances in each case. If a player is fully transparent and trying to do the right thing, but simply ignorant of the law, the punishment should reflect that. I’d be surprised if Goodell even suspended him one game. Some type of warning or fine would be more in line with the “crime”. 

Oliver is in deep doo-doo. There’s no two ways about it. Multiple game suspension coming, as it should. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

wrong.  it wasn't properly checked in with the airline.  that was what he was arrested for.  the weapon was most likely deemed "in transit" and is a lawfully owned gun.  i'm a papd police officer - this exact thing happens way more then you would think - reasons i can't understand. this is way less of an issue then driving drunk with a unlawfully owned weapon.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1